Photo

The Victoria emergency (fire/ambulance) services thread

• Please log in to reply
2560 replies to this topic

#2141 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:59 AM

That would answer the question of why they were pulling it out of a hole five feet off the ground. That wasn't the entry hole.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#2142 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 09:18 AM

Can you imagine the sound that made if you were in that food prep area at the time. Like an earthquake.

I suppose the car fell through the ceiling immediately, or else the sound would have drawn the workers to come out of the cooler and the car would have dropped onto them.

Edited by Rob Randall, 10 April 2021 - 09:19 AM.

#2143 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 09:32 AM

That would answer the question of why they were pulling it out of a hole five feet off the ground. That wasn't the entry hole.

And why the opening in the wall in the garage photo is rather symmetrical.

#2144 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 April 2021 - 12:49 PM

Courtesy of the Saanich PD Traffic Safety Division Twitter account: 

https://twitter.com/...1924983811?s=20 

SPD Traffic blocked me on twitter.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2145 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 01:02 PM

SPD Traffic blocked me on twitter.  

Sounds like someone has some outstanding motor vehicle violations in Saanich.  ;)

#2146 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 April 2021 - 01:18 PM

Sounds like someone has some outstanding motor vehicle violations in Saanich.  ;)

Knock on wood, my license going back to my learner days is clean :)

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2147 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 04:01 PM

For anyone who has an elderly family member, friend or acquaintance and believe a conversation on their driving abilities may be required, consider the following resources from ICBC: https://www.icbc.com...or-Drivers.aspx

The updated Vicnews article clarified that the driver was NOT an elderly woman. 

#2148 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 04:10 PM

The updated Vicnews article clarified that the driver was NOT an elderly woman. 

Const. Markus Anastasiades, public information officer for the Saanich police, told Black Press Media the incident was initially reported as an explosion because the sound of the driver crashing through the wall was so loud. He noted that concrete parkade walls aren’t as strong as many might assume. Officers are investigating the cause of the crash and remained on scene for several hours.

The next morning, police confirmed that the driver was not an elderly woman as previously reported by first responders on scene. The department could not comment on the actual age or gender of the driver at this time.

https://www.vicnews....art-in-saanich/

funny they know it's not an elderly woman but they do not know how to categorize the person now.  smells very fishy.   :rtfm:

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 April 2021 - 04:11 PM.

#2149 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:37 AM

Coincidentally this happened in Carolina a few days before: “A disgruntled ex-employee left a trail of destruction in a Walmart store when he drove his car through the front doors and up the aisles”: https://www.insider....na-store-2021-4

https://www.foxnews....-north-carolina

https://www.wspa.com...r-into-walmart/

#2150 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:54 AM

Chek showed a picture of the wall the car through and it looked like the signs said L2. The tow truck is shown removing it on P1 (correction:L1) . If I'm not mistaken, the car dropped through the ceiling into the store.

you would think a building like that would be able to hold the weight of a relatively small car

That’s got to be the weight of about 10 Walmart shoppers standing in one spot?

Edited by todd, 11 April 2021 - 07:55 AM.

#2151 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:56 AM

Walmart shoppers cannot attain the same velocity.

• todd likes this

#2152 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:58 AM

Where there any reports of gunfire last night?

#2153 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:01 AM

Where there any reports of gunfire last night?

I assume we heard the same thing sometime after 10 PM last night. I think it was fire works of some sort. 

#2154 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:02 AM

Closer to eleven but I am not sure about that.

#2155 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:00 PM

Saanich firefighters had to free staff at Walmart afer a driver rammed through the wall of a lower parking area Friday afternoon.

Deputy Chief Dan Wood told Black Press Media around 4:30 p.m. that firefighters were working to free staff trapped in a freezer at the Uptown store. He said the vehicle drove 20 feet into the shop and pinned a freezer door closed.

Wood said an older woman driving was not seriously injured. All staff were safely removed and not seriously injured.

https://www.vicnews....art-in-saanich/

VicNews quietly made an edit to their article that is not referenced in an editor’s note:

“Wood said the driver was not seriously injured but was taken to the hospital afterward. All staff were safely removed and not seriously injured.”

They removed “an older woman driving,” and replaced it with “the driver.”

Saanich Police issued the following statement via Twitter: “While we are not confirming the age or gender of the driver involved in the incident at Uptown Shopping Centre yesterday, we can confirm that the driver was not an ‘elderly woman’, as being circulated in media and online. We will share more info once we are able to.”

Anyways, why is the age and gender such a big issue for Saanich Police, suddenly?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2156 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:37 PM

I am surprised they actually named Walmart, rather than saying a car crashed into a large discount retailer in the 3400 block of Saanich Road.

• Rob Randall, sebberry, Matt R. and 3 others like this

#2157 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 03:19 AM

Anyways, why is the age and gender such a big issue for Saanich Police, suddenly?

it accentuates stigma obviously.  plus age is just a number.  who is to say 58 is "elderly"?  how dare they assume her gender.

a skier died on seymour yesterday and police and media offered a correction when they changed it from 11-year-old to 12-year-old.  or the other way around i forget.

???

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 April 2021 - 03:20 AM.

#2158 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 06:30 AM

^ I think the real reason is that by stating "an elderly person" they are implying that this was an accident (ie person stepped on accelerator by mistake, had a medical incident, etc). The fact that they are not releasing any information suggests to me that this was intentional.

#2159 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 06:57 AM

They’ll have multiple video angles to work with here, for sure.

I still think Black Press needs to issue a correction, not just quietly edit their published article, if police took the time to make their statement strongly denying the elderly female
angle. Black Press made a similar edit when the three Sooke boys went missing a year ago and said the search was focusing on Jordan River, when it was actually focused on the Sooke River. I don’t recall seeing an editor’s note or a formal correction.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2160 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 07:28 AM

You’re all assuming it was human. 2016 “ Dogs crash car into Walmart after owner leaves vehicle running”: https://globalnews.c...ehicle-running/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)