Photo

The Victoria emergency (fire/ambulance) services thread

• Please log in to reply
2560 replies to this topic

#2161 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:07 AM

it accentuates stigma obviously.  plus age is just a number.  who is to say 58 is "elderly"?  how dare they assume her gender.

???

elderly: rather old, especially : being past middle age

https://www.merriam-...tionary/elderly

#2162 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:08 AM

Vic News said "older," which is what I think most of us would describe as someone 60+. Elderly is someone 80+, IMO.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2163 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:13 AM

Vic News said "older," which is what I think most of us would describe as someone 60+. Elderly is someone 80+, IMO.

if you take into account the Webster’s dictionary and life expectancy in Canada 41 is elderly.

#2164 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:17 AM

In the 1886 volume of that dictionary, maybe.
  • todd, Cats4Hire and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2165 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:25 AM

In the 1886 volume of that dictionary, maybe.

no that version was online. Do you use a computer? :)

#2166 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 02:19 PM

Yes, a fully patched and updated 386, thank you very much, overclocked to the capabilities of a Pentium II. ...And(!) I have the cooling system to prove it.

• Matt R. and todd like this

Know it all.

#2167 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 02:59 PM

^Good for you!

#2168 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 11:51 AM

A man in his 20s going through a mental health crisis was driving the vehicle that smashed through a parking garage wall at Uptown shopping centre last week.

https://www.timescol...lice-1.24306783

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 April 2021 - 11:51 AM.

#2169 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 12:20 PM

Saanich firefighters had to free staff at Walmart afer a driver rammed through the wall of a lower parking area Friday afternoon.

Deputy Chief Dan Wood told Black Press Media around 4:30 p.m. that firefighters were working to free staff trapped in a freezer at the Uptown store. He said the vehicle drove 20 feet into the shop and pinned a freezer door closed.

Wood said an older woman driving was not seriously injured. All staff were safely removed and not seriously injured.

https://www.vicnews....art-in-saanich/

...so ...did Deputy Chief Dan Wood actually say that to Black Press Media?

Know it all.

#2170 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 12:24 PM

he probably said something like "older women are the worst drivers inside parkades".

he has an unconscious bias.  he should probably be re-educated.

• Redd42 likes this

#2171 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 01:27 PM

...so ...did Deputy Chief Dan Wood actually say that to Black Press Media?

If he did he may have got this wrong on so many levels.

The driver could have been a young male instead of an old woman.

https://vancouverisl...olice-1.5385817

#2172 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 02:10 PM

More likely the chief withheld that information; the reporter attempted to fill out the description with "eyewitness" statements from bystanders that turned out to be false.

• Brayvehart likes this

#2173 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 02:14 PM

regardless we should probably bring the driver before a social media tribunal and determine the official description once and for all.

• Matt R. likes this

#2174 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 05:22 PM

More likely the chief withheld that information; the reporter attempted to fill out the description with "eyewitness" statements from bystanders that turned out to be false.

So they filled in the description by fabricating words attributed to the deputy chief?

Know it all.

#2175 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 05:55 PM

So they filled in the description by fabricating words attributed to the deputy chief?

They merged the account of the chief with rumours from bystanders. That's my guess anyway. There's no way the chief didn't know exactly who was in that car. I think first responders realized right away it was a suicide attempt and clamped down on any identifying information.

• Brayvehart likes this

#2176 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:01 PM

I think first responders realized right away it was a suicide attempt and clamped down on any identifying information.

do you think he sped towards the wall thinking it was thick solid concrete then was surprised it gave way, to a workspace inside?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 April 2021 - 06:02 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#2177 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:12 PM

^Oh, absolutely. He thought that was going to be his last moment on earth. He wasn't expecting to do a Wile E. Coyote onto the food floor.

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#2178 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:17 PM

Oh man, that’s intense. I didn’t put the details together quite like that.

What bothers me is the older female narrative really took off. Even I took Black Press’ word, and had numerous conversations with people about deciding when a parent should move towards giving up the keys. Our social media posts also alluded to an older driver, based on Black Press speaking with the DC.

For Black Press to just edit the piece makes me question what else gets changed without anyone knowing. Surely there are standards professional media *must* abide by, no?
  • A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.

#2179 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:06 PM

Are we talking about Black Press or professional media.

• Matt R. likes this

#2180 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 11:22 AM

Residents of a Central Saanich duplex ‘fortunate’ to escape Sunday morning fire

Damage to the duplex extensive with one resident said to be ‘catatonic’ after escaping building

Apr. 18, 2021

fire.png

Flames that coloured the sky as they reached into the night. Screams and flashing emergency lights. People who had just escaped the flames of a burning house huddling on the sidewalk under blankets.

These were just some of the impressions that Saanichton residents shared Sunday morning as they observed the aftermath of an early Sunday morning fire to a Central Saanich duplex at 7987 Galbraith Cres.

Cpt. Mike Simpson of Central Saanich Fire Department said the fire remains under investigation. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users