BUILT
Capital Park Office, building 1
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 500-block of Superior Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
Capital Park Office, building one, is the first of two office phases (with ground floor commercial space) of C... (view full profile)
Learn more about Capital Park Office, building 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[James Bay] Capital Park | Mixed-use office, commercial, residential | 5-storeys | Under construction

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
794 replies to this topic

#201 Anonymous

Anonymous
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:22 AM

Photo from May 5

Attached Images

• IMG_3155.JPG

• Nparker, 2F2R and nagel like this

#202 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:24 AM

They need to do some road work in this area

#203 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,658 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:42 AM

As promised (May 13)

Capital-Park-May-13-2016a.jpg

Capital-Park-May-13-2016b.jpg

Capital-Park-May-13-2016c.jpg

Capital-Park-May-13-2016d.jpg

Capital-Park-May-13-2016e.jpg

• Nparker and 2F2R like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#204 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,783 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:04 PM

Photos from May 20th

Attached Images

• IMG_5480.JPG
  • IMG_5484.JPG

• Nparker likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#205 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,783 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:06 AM

Photos from June 14th

Attached Images

• IMG_5630.JPG
  • IMG_5632.JPG
  • IMG_5633.JPG

Edited by MarkoJ, 15 June 2016 - 08:07 AM.

• Nparker likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#206 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,127 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:45 AM

james-bay-library-jpg.jpg

A new library branch apparently will find a prominent home in the new Capital Park development behind the legislature in James Bay.

Victoria councillors are expected Thursday to approve $1.5 million in capital spending for the 7,500-square-foot branch, inclusion of $232,000 for lease costs for 2018, and $110,000 for the city’s share of the operating budget.

Mayor Lisa Helps called the development exciting.

“It’s something that I think is very, very good from the perspective of Victoria taxpayers. More to the point, it will add a much-needed new library in an area of town that is rapidly densifying,” she said.

“I can’t wait to see that mezzanine built out and people spilling out into the courtyard with their freshly signed-out library book, walking over to the local café and reading in the sunshine.”

http://www.timescolo...books-1.2278826
  • Nparker likes this

#207 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:02 AM

A new library branch apparently will find a prominent home in the new Capital Park development behind the legislature in James Bay.

Wonder how James Bay NIMBYs can spin this into something new to complain about. Books give people ideas, it's true!

#208 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,658 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:04 AM

Is James Bay "rapidly densifying," as Helps said? There's nothing major on the books for James Bay other than some 150 units at Capital Park, a couple of townhome projects and a four-storey woodframe. There's the seniors tower in front of Q Apartments on Belleville, albeit within the James Bay boundary, is arguably a downtown project with the downtown library in closer proximity.

What's with the misinformation lately? One minute we're being told there has been a dry spell in the hotel industry, despite a dozen new hotels built over the last decade or so, and now Helps claims James Bay is wildly densifying -- when there are no indicators that it is.

So where is the Vic West library? That area actually is rapidly densifying.
  • thundergun likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#209 aastra

aastra
  • 20,790 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:22 AM

I'd bet a few donuts that James Bay's densification has never been less rapid than it is right about now. But it depends what she meant by "an area of town". This particular block will be getting more dense, for sure. Maybe she knows something that we don't?

Re: that image of the corner, I like how the architecture suggests three different buildings even though it's all one big project.

#210 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:25 AM

I'd bet a few donuts that James Bay's densification has never been less rapid than it is right about now. But it depends what she meant by "an area of town". This particular block will be getting more dense, for sure. Maybe she knows something that we don't?

Re: that image of the corner, I like how the architecture suggests three different buildings even though it's all one big project.

We have the stats for it (from building permit information that Stats Can collects monthly). Wonder if anybody has crunched that data.

#211 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:31 AM

James Bay is rapidly densifying? lol!

#212 aastra

aastra
  • 20,790 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:37 AM

...it depends what she meant by "an area of town".

She may be thinking of Concert's project for the motel site, too.

#213 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,897 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:41 AM

...Re: that image of the corner, I like how the architecture suggests three different buildings even though it's all one big project.

If the renderings are accurate, there are some very interesting designs on board for Capital Park.

#214 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:43 AM

James Bay is rapidly densifying? lol!

Ya, made me laugh too.  What a stupid statement.  I think things like the library just expand for the sake of expanding sometimes, with no real business case.  James Bay is not poorly served by buses that go right more or less to the Central Branch downtown.

Then Madoff is all pleased they are that they "accepted" the library when they did not have to.  You get a  golden lease/tenant like that, as the developer you bend over backwards to get it.

It's great when you can negotiate with a tenant, without that tenant having to go spoil it all by putting RFP's out looking for the best value etc.**  Same how the library went to Uptown.  Speaking of that, what's with the old library building there now?

** watch for a whole bunch more of this at 1515 Douglas St., as government tenants move to some nice new digs on the taxpayer dime.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#215 aastra

aastra
  • 20,790 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:44 AM

She may be thinking of Concert's project for the motel site, too.

And the residences at the Empress, too.

#216 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:33 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if James Bay's population has actually decreased in recent years.

We all know that Victoria's population in general is not "rapidly densifying". James Bay has to have the lowest volume of construction in Victoria proper.

#217 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:35 AM

So why do we need a new library? Didn't this just sort of come out of the blue? What about fire hall #1? Crystal Pool?

Who pays to maintain the Greater Victoria Libraries, anyway?

#218 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:39 AM

Ya, made me laugh too.  What a stupid statement.

More proof that Helps just says whatever comes to mind. She simply does not conduct business utilizing facts and analysis. Everything is on a whim. I have grown tired of this fly by the seat of her pants management style. Does City Hall do any analysis or is it all just management by soundbites and feelings?

• Nparker likes this

#219 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:39 AM

there's a capital expense by the city (1.5 mil I think) and part of the operating from them as well (101K/year)

#220 aastra

aastra
  • 20,790 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:50 AM

I don't have a problem with neighbourhood library branches.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users