BUILT
Capital Park Office, building 1
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 500-block of Superior Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
Capital Park Office, building one, is the first of two office phases (with ground floor commercial space) of C... (view full profile)
Learn more about Capital Park Office, building 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[James Bay] Capital Park | Mixed-use office, commercial, residential | 5-storeys | Under construction

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
794 replies to this topic

#221 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:52 AM

I don't have a problem with neighbourhood library branches.

But should we keep adding square footage, even when the population has not increased in the area?  We just expanded Uptown, and opened a brand new one in WestShore.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#222 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:04 AM

But should we keep adding square footage, even when the population has not increased in the area?  We just expanded Uptown, and opened a brand new one in WestShore.

Uptown is smaller than the former Emily Carr unless I am mistaken.

Saanich has 4 branches to only one in the city.  http://gvpl.ca/wp-co...anch-map-lo.pdf  The one in the city is quite inconvenient to get to if you ask me.  In an ideal world, in addition to this JB branch, I would add another as part of a total mixed-use redevelopment of Crystal Pool.

• Nparker likes this

#223 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:11 AM

I'm just saying a neighbourhood like James Bay would normally have a public library branch. It's true that the population there hasn't increased by much and it's also true that the central library is quite close.

Maybe Victoria doesn't need a large central library?* Just have a James Bay branch and a downtown branch and another branch in another neighbourhood as nagel suggests?

*I used to be a big pumper of the "new downtown library" dream, FYI

Edited by aastra, 15 June 2016 - 11:12 AM.

#224 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:18 AM

I think smaller and more spread out is better for a library system.  Yeah it's probably more expensive but it's one of the most important resources available to get kids started off on the right foot.  I take 50 books out every couple of weeks (I think it's the max allowed) for my 3 kids and they tear through them.  Almost tips my cargo bike over when I leave the library.  Those books are far more valuable than if they were on an iPad or watching TV.

Living by the McKenzie interchange I have 3 branches within biking distance.

Edited by nagel, 15 June 2016 - 11:18 AM.

#225 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:19 AM

...and they tear through them.

Great. Just great.

#226 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:22 AM

I'm just saying a neighbourhood like James Bay would normally have a public library branch. It's true that the population there hasn't increased by much and it's also true that the central library is quite close.

Maybe Victoria doesn't need a large central library?* Just have a James Bay branch and a downtown branch and another branch in another neighbourhood as nagel suggests?

*I used to be a big pumper of the "new downtown library" dream, FYI

I'm not sure we do need a big central library, now that you say it.  Materials move quite nicely between branches and you can order them in online.  So it's only one trip to the local library.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#227 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:06 PM

I don't have a problem with neighbourhood library branches.

Me neither.

I have a problem with initiatives and expenditures coming out of every which direction under this administration. All of a sudden a James Bay library is a must have? Seems odd to me.

#228 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,785 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:19 PM

...All of a sudden a James Bay library is a must have? Seems odd to me.

To be fair, I believe a James Bay branch library has been in discussion for some time. I know I heard the idea proposed a long ways back.

#229 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:14 PM

James Bay is not poorly served by buses...

Clearly you don't ride buses in James Bay. I walk into and out of town rather than try to get buses near my home.

We have needed a branch for a long time. I don't think kids and seniors should have to schlep downtown to access the library.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#230 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:18 PM

2-3km on a bus is just a hassle.  That's pretty much the ideal distance for slogging it on a bike, even at a snail's pace.  

#231 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:09 PM

Clearly you don't ride buses in James Bay. I walk into and out of town rather than try to get buses near my home.

We have needed a branch for a long time. I don't think kids and seniors should have to schlep downtown to access the library.

I agree that JB bus service isn't that great, but isn't this only moving the library about 700 meters closer than the central branch?

#232 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:07 PM

I suppose books are making a comeback and this might be the time for the Maritime Museum to comeback by inserting books and boats into the same space.

#233 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:07 PM

Is James Bay "rapidly densifying," as Helps said? There's nothing major on the books for James Bay other than some 150 units at Capital Park, a couple of townhome projects and a four-storey woodframe. There's the seniors tower in front of Q Apartments on Belleville, albeit within the James Bay boundary, is arguably a downtown project with the downtown library in closer proximity.

What's with the misinformation lately? One minute we're being told there has been a dry spell in the hotel industry, despite a dozen new hotels built over the last decade or so, and now Helps claims James Bay is wildly densifying -- when there are no indicators that it is.

So where is the Vic West library? That area actually is rapidly densifying.

Perhaps she was also thinking of some of the recently (last few years) completed developments such as 200 on the Park and Duet?

#234 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:58 PM

“I can’t wait to see that mezzanine built out and people spilling out into the courtyard with their freshly signed-out library book, walking over to the local café and reading in the sunshine.”

My, what a bucolic picture that paints. Now pan to the existing library with half a dozen smelly "homeless" folks hanging out and shooting up in mezzanine.

• RFS likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#235 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:58 PM

My, what a bucolic picture that paints. Now pan to the existing library with half a dozen smelly "homeless" folks hanging out and shooting up in mezzanine.

That doesn't happen there, at least during business hours. I'm through there constantly due to work. There's security guards walking through there pretty much constantly (and there's a security desk that operates off hours right there too) and nobody is shooting up. Maybe in the middle of the night. That's the courtyard for a pretty big set of government offices as well as the library so it's pretty much constantly full of people.

Edited by ZGsta, 15 June 2016 - 10:01 PM.

#236 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:47 AM

I agree that JB bus service isn't that great, but isn't this only moving the library about 700 meters closer than the central branch?

Wasn't really thinking about the distance but the difference between the edge of  a residential neighbourhood and the middle of downtown. I would not send my 10-year old to the downtown branch on his own. I would send him to this new branch.

• Nparker likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#237 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:05 AM

Perhaps she was also thinking of some of the recently (last few years) completed developments such as 200 on the Park and Duet?

Maybe she's also being really optimistic about the Belleville terminal redevelopment and the Admiral Inn redevelopment? But even if she had been thinking of all of these things and even if "the area" that she was referring to was just the immediate area around the new library (and not James Bay as a whole), I still don't think it's quite right to claim that the area is rapidly densifying. Gradually densifying, okay. Some new buildings should be coming eventually, but we all know that we're probably talking 10-15 years at a minimum for something to happen on all of the sites that we've mentioned. And the Admiral Inn redevelopment and the residences at the Empress probably won't be particularly large projects no matter what happens.

• Nparker likes this

#238 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:09 AM

Speaking of James Bay, yesterday I spoke with a developer of a run-of-the-mill woodframe proposal in James Bay who is being put through the wringer. The neighbourhood association weilds incredible power over there. So much so that they've convinced officialdom that they're rapidly densifying and need a new library. Go figure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#239 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:13 AM

I imagine the lobbying from that particular neighbourhood association would be intense.

#240 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,785 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:52 AM

Speaking of James Bay, yesterday I spoke with a developer of a run-of-the-mill wood frame proposal in James Bay who is being put through the wringer....

He (she?) should market the proposal to the CoV as the "ultimate in tent city luxury". Council will bend over backwards to make it happen.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users