BUILT
Capital Park Office, building 1
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 500-block of Superior Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
Capital Park Office, building one, is the first of two office phases (with ground floor commercial space) of C... (view full profile)
Learn more about Capital Park Office, building 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[James Bay] Capital Park | Mixed-use office, commercial, residential | 5-storeys | Under construction

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
794 replies to this topic

#41 Urbanistco

Urbanistco
  • 172 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:59 AM

That is great news. I can't think of developers in which I would have more confidence to build something good.

Unfortunately there were plenty of developers that submitted much better proposals then the Jawl's...

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:15 AM

Do you know where we can see the proposals each developer submitted?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#43 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

Do we know what each phase will consist of, the location on the site and the anticipated schedule?

#44 Brick and Mortar

Brick and Mortar
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

Unfortunately there were plenty of developers that submitted much better proposals then the Jawl's...

On what terms would you consider any of the other proposals to be better than Jawl Properties/Concerts proposal?

#45 Brick and Mortar

Brick and Mortar
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

Do you know where we can see the proposals each developer submitted?

Likely never going to be released to the public.

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

That's really too bad. I don't understand the need for such secrecy here.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#47 cakeman

cakeman
  • 216 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:34 PM

Took me a bit to find this thread.. Missed it the first time round.. then saw a front page article in the TC today about Jawl and Concert putting a proposal together on this.. looks pretty good..

Certainly an improvement over whats there now..

cakes..

#48 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:29 PM

It looks pretty good but the illustration makes me think they're being more cautious than they need to be re: the building heights. Also, I like the plaza in that spot and I understand what they're trying to do with it but it sure seems to be large, doesn't it?

#49 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:10 PM

...they're being more cautious than they need to be re: the building heights...

I thought the same thing; then remembered that they have to deal with the NIMBY-est of the NIMBY's...the James Bay Neighbourhood Ass. The JBNA, will probably still argue this proposal is too tall, too dense, too urban and causes too much traffic to pass by their homes before, during and after construction.

#50 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:30 AM

I don't know why anyone wouldn't like the design. It's pretty much straight out of the victoria accord

project-facing-legislature.jpg

http://www.timescolo...lature-1.952917

#51 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:46 AM

It looks pretty good but the illustration makes me think they're being more cautious than they need to be re: the building heights. Also, I like the plaza in that spot and I understand what they're trying to do with it but it sure seems to be large, doesn't it?

I think it looks good, and might be even better if they close that block of Superior Street and make it one big plaza.

#52 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:18 AM

Why oh why do we need more public space? This is a big mistake. Public space without the population is called a dead zone.

If only there was already some public space nearby. Oh ya, there is. Right across the street.

#53 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:36 AM

I would also like to see the Menzies part more related to the James Bay Village and stretch the commercial walking feel to Superior.
  • Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#54 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:37 AM

Why oh why do we need more public space? This is a big mistake. Public space without the population is called a dead zone...

+1

Perhaps it is felt needed for all the overflow crowds that fill the plazas in front of the Astoria, Belvedere and Aria developments.

#55 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:07 AM

I think it looks good, and might be even better if they close that block of Superior Street and make it one big plaza.

Uhm...no. Without that block of Superior street to provide an alternative to the frequently blocked Belleville Street traffic in the area would be totally crippled rather than the huge headache it becomes during those closures.

The proposal itself looks good on the face of it but as always I have to agree with the predictions of insane opposition from my neighbours. I am looking forward to more details.

I am a little disappointed they did not take my suggestion to move the heritage homes to the Menzies street end of the precinct to create a more attractive roadway linking the James Bay "village" to the Legislature precinct and to ease the transition from the residential to commercial area.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#56 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:28 AM

Do we have any detailed renderings? I have to say that I find this project a little underwhelming and somewhat dated if the current rendering is anything to go by. I recall seeing proposals like this back in the 90's.

Know it all.

#57 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:31 AM

...I have to say that I find this project a little underwhelming and somewhat dated if the current rendering is anything to go by...

+1

#58 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:47 AM

I'm guessing these are only massing models, not the actual building designs.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#59 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,233 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:20 AM

I may have already harped about this, but it seems to me this is the perfect opportunity to get rid of the "bunker" on the lawns of the leg.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#60 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

No kidding. That should be taken down at the earliest opportunity.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users