BUILT
Capital Park Office, building 1
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 500-block of Superior Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
Capital Park Office, building one, is the first of two office phases (with ground floor commercial space) of C... (view full profile)
Learn more about Capital Park Office, building 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[James Bay] Capital Park | Mixed-use office, commercial, residential | 5-storeys | Under construction

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
794 replies to this topic

#61 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:15 PM

I'm guessing these are only massing models, not the actual building designs.

But massing models are supposed to show the placement and size of buildings - hence the name right?

#62 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:59 PM

I may have already harped about this, but it seems to me this is the perfect opportunity to get rid of the "bunker" on the lawns of the leg.

What "bunker"?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#63 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

On the top-left corner of the Legislature's block. It's one or two storeys.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#64 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:59 AM

Why oh why do we need more public space? This is a big mistake. Public space without the population is called a dead zone.

If only there was already some public space nearby. Oh ya, there is. Right across the street.

there's already that fountain but I think the idea is that it's better to have a way to tie in the new stuff to the south with the existing fountain than to have two separate areas on each side of the street. not that it's the only thing they could have done but I guess that's where they're going with that. you can see how the lines of the legislature extend across the street to define the boundaries of the plaza.

I would also like to see the Menzies part more related to the James Bay Village and stretch the commercial walking feel to Superior.

that makes a lot of sense. the james bay tea room could be the start of something on that corner.

#65 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:46 AM

Jawl Properties have sent us the following info. A public open house/info session is scheduled for next Wednesday, September 10th, at 2-6 PM.

capital-park-rendering.jpg

capital-park.jpg

• Nparker, AndrewReeve and Mixed365 like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#66 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:01 PM

The density doesn't look too bad.  Previously it had a very "low rises in a park" look to it.

I wonder how retail will do along there.  We always demand ground-floor retail but it doesn't always work out.  I worry in this situation the ground floors might find them selves clad in mirrored glass and the doors replaced with "use main office entrance" signs.  Then again there's a LOT of office/government workers in the area and I could certainly see some good coffee/lunch places doing well.  But the area is dead outside of office hours due to the relatively single-use of the area (government office).  The retail would work a lot better if some of the neighbouring parking lots were turned into some high-density housing.

• AndrewReeve likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#67 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:56 PM

Maybe Thrifty's could be enticed to move into more modern digs?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#68 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:58 AM

^ Interesting thought. I wonder if there are already back room talks going on now between Sobey's and the Jawls/Concert.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#69 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:48 AM

The commercial node just up the street is a huge hive of activity every day. This will just extend that activity I'm sure.

Know it all.

#70 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:05 PM

The commercial node just up the street is a huge hive of activity every day. This will just extend that activity I'm sure.

If successful, it could form a "commercial bridge" between downtown and the "james bay village" area.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#71 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:03 AM

As I understand the Jawls will be focusing on the office side and Concert will be focusing on the residential side. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#72 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:33 AM

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

We've been told this is a three phase project.

Know it all.

#73 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:14 AM

There is a residential component to this?

#74 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:15 AM

Yes, the two top-right buildings are condos.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

Know it all.

#75 Urbanistco

Urbanistco
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:34 PM

I FOI'd the rest of the proposals as I heard that Chard put in a stellar one...province wouldn't release anything...so much for open government.

#76 sasamat

sasamat
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:52 PM

I FOI'd the rest of the proposals as I heard that Chard put in a stellar one...province wouldn't release anything...so much for open government.

Which exception(s) did they give? Section 21? Open government doesn't mean unfettered access. There are often legitimate policy and/or business reasons for withholding information, especially when it involves third parties. 

#77 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:43 AM

This still needs a public hearing, and they expect to start work this summer?  Is the JBNEA giving this a pass?  It includes 175 housing units, far more than Duet.

http://www.timescolo...toria-1.1776656

Capital Park includes two major office buildings, each four or five storeys tall totalling 235,000 square feet. Most of the office space will be leased on a long-term basis by the province.

About 17,500 square feet of commercial space is planned, mainly facing Menzies Street.

Rental housing and condominium units will be built in four buildings, three to five storeys, on the west and south part of the site. A total of 175 homes are planned.

The project features plans for a network of paths, plazas, a mini-park and courtyards as gathering places for those living and working on the site and for the neighbourhood.

If city hall gives its approval, the earliest construction could begin is July or August, said developer Robert Jawl. Total construction value is not being made public, but there’s no question the economic impact on the community will be large. Jawl Properties and Concert Properties paid $34 million for the site.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.LPG1UWJ0.dpuf

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#78 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:06 AM

This still needs a public hearing, and they expect to start work this summer?  Is the JBNEA giving this a pass? 

I think the magic words that are working here are "four to five storeys". 

#79 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:13 AM

So no more info than we've known over the past year, I guess. No doubt these offices will be quite pricey to lease.

Know it all.

#80 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:45 AM

So no more info than we've known over the past year, I guess. No doubt these offices will be quite pricey to lease.

Of course.  Government has unlimited budget.  Few private outfits are moving into brand new digs.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users