Local road and highway development, conditions

• Please log in to reply
3768 replies to this topic

#2821 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:13 AM

RJAG...when did police state that speed was not a factor?

Edited by Kach, 21 December 2017 - 11:16 AM.

#2822 rjag

rjag
  • 6,364 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:22 PM

RJAG...when did police state that speed was not a factor?

It was noted in the news article last night where the police spokesman indicated that they didnt think speed or alcohol was a factor

https://vancouverisl...chool-1.3729849

Drivers in both vehicles involved were taken to the Saanich police detachment, and investigators say there's no indication speed or alcohol were factors.

#2823 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:23 PM

So are we saying that the child walked out onto the crosswalk without looking?

Sort of like what thousands of adults do every single day in downtown Victoria?

• LocalMom likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2824 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:41 PM

Thanks RJAG. I had not seen that report.
  • rjag likes this

#2825 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 02:25 PM

Leaving this incident aside, it's unsafe to enter any crosswalk until you are sure the cars coming in all directions are aware of you, and are slowing down.

I do not expect a grade 6er to be perfect at this at all. 

The crosswalk at Richardson and Cook is very perilous, yet I see people step out without even hesitating, assuming people will stop.

#2826 lanforod

lanforod
  • 12,132 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:24 PM

So are we saying that the child walked out onto the crosswalk without looking?

Sort of like what thousands of adults do every single day in downtown Victoria?

Vast difference between Gordon Head and downtown, of course, and also between a young child and phone buried idiots.

This is my regular commute route. I don't think there anything needed to improve this crosswalk, though I don't walk here, just drive or bike.

#2827 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:31 PM

I walked Ash Rd. a couple times last summer (2016).  I do not think this intersection is marked poorly.  From west of Majestic, all the way up to Tyndall, it's easily the most marked up one.  I think with the light and the marked crosswalk there might be too much a sense of safety for walkers.  To me the light is there more for Torquay traffic, to make sure cars do not blow through it by mistake at night.     

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 21 December 2017 - 09:33 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2828 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 09:18 AM

I walked Ash Rd. a couple times last summer (2016).  I do not think this intersection is marked poorly.  From west of Majestic, all the way up to Tyndall, it's easily the most marked up one.  I think with the light and the marked crosswalk there might be too much a sense of safety for walkers.  To me the light is there more for Torquay traffic, to make sure cars do not blow through it by mistake at night.     

Put speed bumps on Ash approaching the intersection.

Put in a traffic light, and clear all the vegetation back to improve the sight lines.

Some of this work could be done today.

#2829 rjag

rjag
  • 6,364 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 09:23 AM

Put speed bumps on Ash approaching the intersection.

Put in a traffic light, and clear all the vegetation back to improve the sight lines.

Some of this work could be done today.

Have a look at the google streetview I posted a page or so back, the sightlines are very good, its on a flat stretch and there is clear visibility for at least 150 meters. There arent many crosswalks on that stretch so this would be a good place to put in strobe lights on a button, but theres no need for a traffic light there

Edited by rjag, 22 December 2017 - 09:23 AM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#2830 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:14 AM

Have a look at the google streetview I posted a page or so back, the sightlines are very good, its on a flat stretch and there is clear visibility for at least 150 meters.

There arent many crosswalks on that stretch so this would be a good place to put in strobe lights on a button, but theres no need for a traffic light there

I don't think the sight lines are "very good".  Any vegetation that is outside of a homes property line needs to be trimmed back. You can see this if you look along Torquay back towards the intersection looking south. there is a person standing right at the corner that is barely visible in daylight hours. Think of the low light overcast days and you would not see anyone there.

I would take down that Arbutus tree on the SW corner before it falls down at a most inconvenient time.

#2831 lanforod

lanforod
  • 12,132 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:43 PM

Wether it's designed for it or not, Ash is an arterial road. A lot of commuters use it. Speed bumps are not ideal because of that.

#2832 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:45 PM

Ya Ash is a nice route to have a pleasurable, moving drive, to avoid McKenzie and Shelbourne, going to and from UVIC.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2833 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,553 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:47 PM

Someone from SD61 was on CFAX this AM and commented that Ash is seeing higher traffic volumes due to new bike lanes on Shelbourne. 

• rjag likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2834 rjag

rjag
  • 6,364 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:32 PM

Someone from SD61 was on CFAX this AM and commented that Ash is seeing higher traffic volumes due to new bike lanes on Shelbourne. 

I would agree to the higher volumes, I would attribute that to the lane reduction from the park through to Feltham, definitely way more traffic taking Ash since they reduced the main arterial route to 1 lane each way...just wait to see the increase on Cedar Hill and Richmond when Shelbourne is reduced to 1 lane from Hillside Mall to McKenzie

#2835 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:25 PM

The section of Torquay between Brymea Lane and Ash narrows as it heads north.

It's a terrible intersection for the amount of traffic that uses it.

#2836 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:33 PM

Where Ash becomes Grandview right at Tyndall is a horrible three-way intersection, too. Vehicles coming out of the north end of Tyndall which is just beyond the three-way are so often blocked from view and tend to pop out as vehicles starting moving west on Grandview as it becomes Ash.

• Bingo likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2837 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 09:42 PM

Was by the intersection today and nothing has been done to rectify the thing, NOTHING... and the young girl is in an induced coma in the hospital.

#2838 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 07:59 AM

Rectify what thing?

Know it all.

#2839 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:01 AM

Where Ash becomes Grandview right at Tyndall is a horrible three-way intersection, too. Vehicles coming out of the north end of Tyndall which is just beyond the three-way are so often blocked from view and tend to pop out as vehicles starting moving west on Grandview as it becomes Ash.

It used to be goofier before it was a 4-way.

#2840 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:03 AM

Was by the intersection today and nothing has been done to rectify the thing, NOTHING... and the young girl is in an induced coma in the hospital.

It’s not a very busy intersection for through Torquay traffic at all. 95% of Torquay traffic northbound turns.

I’m not sure it needs work. If anything all the markings make a pedestrian too comfortable that cars will stop,

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users