Photo

Local road and highway development, conditions

• Please log in to reply
3745 replies to this topic

#2861 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 01:47 PM

Yup, someone spun out and took out the switching box, so its a controlled 4-way until they fix that I guess. imagine if it was when school was in session, it would be nuts up there...all those bikes having to go through 1 at a time learning to alternate....

oh I misunderstood you. I though by "Someone took out" you meant a city worker. Buses too, I'm frequently on or watching 4s turn onto Foul Bay long after the advanced turn light has gone. 

#2862 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:38 AM

oh I misunderstood you. I though by "Someone took out" you meant a city worker. Buses too, I'm frequently on or watching 4s turn onto Foul Bay long after the advanced turn light has gone. 

screenshot-www.google.ca-2017-12-26-09-36-42-492.png

screenshot-twitter.com-2017-12-26-09-35-21-553.png

I guess the protective bollard was not quite right.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2863 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:49 AM

I am not sure where the appropriate forum is for this topic, so I will add it here.

And first I want to say that I know everyone in the city, and specifically her family, and those folks who witnessed and helped Leila yesterday morning in the crosswalk at Ash and Torquay are praying for her and urging her to fight very hard for her life.  

I live in Gordon Head, and go through this intersection almost daily.  And I know a number of folks on this forum also either live in, or have history with Gordon Head, and likely this intersection.

The accident yesterday got the wife and I chatting about what or if something needs to be done at this intersection.  I have a lot of thoughts about it, but am wondering what this forum thinks, as I know topics such as crosswalks, road infrastructure, and local road speeds are discussed here quite often.

Again, please pray for Leila.  

Full disclosure, I did witness this accident, and is likely why Leila and this topic is at the top of my mind right now.

Leila is still in a coma, so keep her in your thoughts.

http://www.timescolo...coma-1.23135486

#2864 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,291 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:16 PM

Langfords-Millstream-Road-overpass-improvements-to-start-this-month.jpg

The $2.1 million project will assist with traffic flow from a busy big-box store precinct while improving pedestrian and cycling infrastructure. Work is scheduled to complete by the end of April.

Langford's Millstream Road overpass improvements to start this month

https://victoria.cit...art-this-month/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2865 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,291 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:36 AM

Vehicle ownership rising at nearly twice the rate of Vancouver Island's population: ICBC

https://victoria.cit...opulation-icbc/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2866 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:02 AM

Vehicle ownership rising at nearly twice the rate of Vancouver Island's population: ICBC

https://victoria.cit...opulation-icbc/

Sorry, it's people like me who are blowing that bellcurve... I'm only one guy but I own a truck, a car and four motorcycles. Of course, I'm only out with one at a time so the fact that I have so many doesn't directly influence the amount of traffic on the local roads. Probably something that the statistics can't take into consideration.

Edited by exc911ence, 16 January 2018 - 10:03 AM.

• VicHockeyFan and rjag like this

#2867 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:16 AM

Holy smokes, you keep them all insured at the same time?

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#2868 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:06 AM

Holy smokes, you keep them all insured at the same time?

During the summer, yes. Off season, I tend to only keep one or two bikes insured for the smattering of nice riding days we get.

Truck and "collector" car are always insured though.

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan and rjag like this

#2869 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:35 PM

Sorry, it's people like me who are blowing that bellcurve... I'm only one guy but I own a truck, a car and four motorcycles. Of course, I'm only out with one at a time so the fact that I have so many doesn't directly influence the amount of traffic on the local roads. Probably something that the statistics can't take into consideration.

I knew I liked this guy!

• exc911ence likes this

#2870 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:14 PM

Hehe, same here, I have 4 insured vehicles in my driveway shared between my wife and I....each has a function and I'm not too fussed about it 

#2871 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:52 PM

Hehe, same here, I have 4 insured vehicles in my driveway shared between my wife and I....each has a function and I'm not too fussed about it 

My wife has a Jeep and her own motorcycle... so between the two of us, we have eight insured vehicles during the summer months. Oh the humanity! Won't somebody think of the bicyclists?!?

• rjag likes this

#2872 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,291 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:00 AM

Integrated-health-centre-eyed-for-site-of-Colwood's-Ocean-Blvd.-Park-&-Ride.jpg

Integrated health centre eyed for site of Colwood's Park & Ride

Know it all.

#2873 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:09 AM

One of America's most bike friendly cities has lowered it's speed limit to 20 mph on city and residential streets.

The Portland City Council unanimously approved a plan to lower speed limits to 20 mph on thousands of miles of city streets.

The council voted Wednesday to reduce speed limits on non-arterial residential streets, which comprise about 70 percent of the city's street grid.

The emergency ordinance takes effect immediately on roads without speed limit signs. On those with posted 25 mph speed limits, the change takes effect when the signs are replaced. The city expects to replace the signs citywide by April, an effort that's expected to cost $300,000.

Speed limits on busier collector and arterial streets won't change. 

http://www.oregonliv...ts_vote_20.html

#2874 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:01 AM

They lowered them on non arterials. Opposite of what was done here. Bay St is an aterial at 40km/hr and the side streets off Bay are 50km/hr
  • Nparker and tjv like this

#2875 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:39 AM

Does anyone know if that sign just by Bay Center on Douglas that says Broughton will be having pipe maintenance done was supposed to say "Fort" instead? It says February-April yet halfway through Feb and there's no indication of anything happening on Broughton. Fort meanwhile does seem to have the road dug up which I'm not sure if it's for the bike lanes or pipes.

#2876 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:45 AM

Does anyone know if that sign just by Bay Center on Douglas that says Broughton will be having pipe maintenance done was supposed to say "Fort" instead? It says February-April yet halfway through Feb and there's no indication of anything happening on Broughton. Fort meanwhile does seem to have the road dug up which I'm not sure if it's for the bike lanes or pipes.

Broughton between Douglas and Blanshard is geeting or had work.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2877 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:22 PM

Broughton between Douglas and Blanshard is geeting or had work.

I don't think it has yet. I've gone to the library once a week pretty much all year and I haven't seen anything happen.

#2878 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,291 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:34 PM

$3M-Leigh-Road-connector-project-to-streamline-West-Shore-traffic-between-TCH,-Westhills-and-Sooke-Road.jpg

Leigh-Road-connector.jpg

$3M Leigh Road connector project to streamline West Shore traffic between TCH, Westhills and Sooke Road

https://victoria.cit...and-sooke-road/

Know it all.

#2879 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:39 PM

Wonder why they didn't roundabout it.

#2880 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:01 PM

A roundabout would have taken up a lot of the land that is needed for the bleachers of the expanded Westhills Stadium. I imagine those bleachers are going to butt right up to the road.

A very rough MS Paint approximation of a roundabout here impeding the stadium build.

rough.jpg

Edited by shoeflack, 06 March 2018 - 01:13 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users