Photo

Local road and highway development, conditions

• Please log in to reply
3746 replies to this topic

#2901 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:16 AM

Meanwhile, along Vancouver Street in North Park, crews are installing some sort of pipe down the middle of the southbound lane, ensuring the already shoddy surface has even more patches.

Gas main replacement between Caledonia and Yates.

#2902 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,955 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:43 AM

Gas main replacement between Caledonia and Yates.

Which is probably a good thing, but it would be nice if, after the work was finished, the entire surface was repaved.

#2903 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,518 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:56 PM

Something else I've noticed with our new LED street lights:

Car headlamps blend in with them too much.  Dark road, raining, making a turn from one road onto another, it used to be that car headlamps would stand out against the orange street lights.  Now you can't tell if the illumination around a corner is from a car or the LED lamps lighting up the road. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2904 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:58 AM

Something else I've noticed with our new LED street lights:

Car headlamps blend in with them too much.  Dark road, raining, making a turn from one road onto another, it used to be that car headlamps would stand out against the orange street lights.  Now you can't tell if the illumination around a corner is from a car or the LED lamps lighting up the road. 

That's just age Seb

#2905 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,518 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 April 2018 - 12:48 PM

Nah, two lights close in colour temperature don't stand out from each other. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#2906 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:25 AM

I'm curious as to why the collapsed lane on Johnson at Cook hasn't been repaired yet? Its been close to 5 months and is a major arterial road. I know the road and sidewalk collapsed due to the construction activity and there are most likely liability and insurance arguments etc, but it should have been shored up and fixed pdq.

As it is it creates more congestion

#2907 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:34 AM

It did not collapse because of construction. Well it collapsed since it was there but it was not the cause. The fix will come when the hole gets more filled. Cost saving.

Now another person tried to cross the highway at the native reserve at Mount Newton. They failed.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2908 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:48 AM

How about this crash, the SUV driver turning left is an awful driver.

http://victoriabuzz....medium=facebook

But the guy coming the other way should also have known better.

Two guys that maybe got what their driving deserved.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 26 April 2018 - 11:48 AM.

• Rob Randall likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2909 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:19 PM

Does anyone know why McKenzie is covered in gravel on both sides of the road from about Carey to the PatBay? There's temporary signs that say "caution loose gravel" on both sides and I assume it wasn't a dump truck losing its load.

#2910 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:10 PM

^ Is it a "tar and gravel" surface to last until everything is repaved?  How much gravel is on the top of the road?  More common in small communities as it can last a long time.

#2911 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:40 PM

^ Is it a "tar and gravel" surface to last until everything is repaved?  How much gravel is on the top of the road?  More common in small communities as it can last a long time.

It doesn't seem unpaved to me. It looks like someone just dumped a bunch of gravel on the road although it covers all lanes on both sides of the road which is why I don't think that's the case. Hard to tell exactly how much there was but it wasn't piled up too high.

#2912 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:58 PM

I drove through that too and at first I thought oil spill but it was too much gravel for too long. It had to have been someone’s load that was let out slowly over almost a kilometer. What a mess!

#2913 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:58 PM

Are they sealcoating it?

https://www.tranbc.c...on-bc-highways/

#2914 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,518 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:12 PM

New LED streetlights may double cancer risk, new research warns

Britain’s new generation of street lights risk dramatically increasing rates of breast and prostate cancer, according to a new study.

Scientists have warned officials to consider limiting the roll-out of LED (light-emitting diode) lights after an investigation indicated a “strong link” between the technology and the disease.

Hundreds of thousands of street lights have so far been switched to LED, which are cheaper to run and result in lower emissions, while approximately 30 per cent of the the lights on motorways and A roads in England have also been upgraded.

[...]

https://www.telegrap...research-warns/

#2915 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 11:04 AM

I drove down McKenzie again earlier and the gravel is still there but mostly pushed to the side or right in the middle of the lane and it still isn't piled too high. Still no idea what it's about.

#2916 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 27 April 2018 - 11:57 AM

New LED streetlights may double cancer risk, new research warns

https://www.telegrap...research-warns/

"The nature of the study means researchers cannot prove a causal link, but they believe the “blue light” emitted by the LEDs may be disrupting the body’s circadian rhythm, which in turn affects hormone levels.

Both breast and prostate cancers are hormone-related."

I cannot prove you posted this solely because you have other non-cancer related issues with the local LED streetlights but I believe this to be true. ;)

• Matt R. likes this

#2917 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,518 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:21 AM

The email I received back from the CoV engineering department states that the crappy lines are the result of federal standards to eliminate oil based paints from the road.

So we now have crappy water based paints that need more frequent applications and probably are a factor in an increase in collisions possibly resulting in fluid escape from cars. 

Council has no problem lobbying the provincial government for lower speed limits, how about lobby the feds for a reversal to the policy that's making our roads more dangerous?

#2918 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:08 AM

The email I received back from the CoV engineering department states that the crappy lines are the result of federal standards to eliminate oil based paints from the road.
So we now have crappy water based paints that need more frequent applications and probably are a factor in an increase in collisions possibly resulting in fluid escape from cars.

Council has no problem lobbying the provincial government for lower speed limits, how about lobby the feds for a reversal to the policy that's making our roads more dangerous?

MoTI has been piloting a solution. Hopefully that works out and we can get decent lines back.

#2919 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,518 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 April 2018 - 12:09 PM

MoTI has been piloting a solution. Hopefully that works out and we can get decent lines back.

Do we know what they're working on?

#2920 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 12:32 PM

https://www.google.c...ghway-lines/amp

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users