3745 replies to this topic

#3481 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 04 April 2021 - 10:35 AM

"A commentary by a disgruntled resident of James Bay."

What other kind is there?

Won't someone think of the children, etc.? She's almost rhapsodic about cruise ship traffic, which is unusual for a James Bay resident. As to where she thinks she's going to be driving after the big one hits, that's anyone's guess.

#3482 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 02:47 PM

That "diverter" is the latest asinine part of the Vancouver Street massacre that will force northbound vehicles to drive nearly 2 extra blocks to cross Pandora Street. It took a special kind of devious mind to come up with that particular salvo in the local war on cars.  

I was looking at a map of that area. Where will we have to go again? I'm confused. I think if I want to visit a Save On, as we do for certain items, we'll just go to Fort and Foul Bay. It was great having the Save On on Vancouver....while it lasted, lol. 

#3483 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 02:54 PM

^Can't you just take St. Charles or Moss to Pandora?

Honestly, hearing some of these stories it seems travelling three blocks is harder than Steve McQueen jumping a motorbike into Switzerland.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#3484 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,758 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:25 PM

I was looking at a map of that area. Where will we have to go again? ... 

IIRC northbound traffic on Vancouver Street is going to be diverted east onto the south side of Harris Green for most of the block then loop back onto Pandora westbound then make a right turn at the NE corner of Pandora and Vancouver in order to continue north.

map.png

#3485 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 07:47 PM

^Why on earth would anyone want to get back onto Vancouver and head north?

• Brantastic likes this

#3486 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:30 PM

^Going to the Harbour Cats game?

Edit: Forgot about subsequent traffic calming and diversions, so that wouldn’t work. SOF parking lot?

Edited by marks_28, 05 April 2021 - 08:32 PM.

#3487 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:55 AM

^Why on earth would anyone want to get back onto Vancouver and head north?

Access to the Save On foods underground parking. I can't see the reason for closing that very small section of Vancouver. Is there one? 

I think St. Charles ends at Fort St., same with Moss. I have no wish to get to Pandora.  

Edited by mbjj, 06 April 2021 - 07:58 AM.

#3488 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 08:37 AM

I think St. Charles ends at Fort St., same with Moss. I have no wish to get to Pandora.  

Yeah, but you just use Belmont or Fernwood. I don't understand what's complicated about this. I must be missing a key piece of information. It's basically a five minute straight shot up Cook or Pandora to Mason.

#3489 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 08:42 AM

There is a small section of Vancouver that is being closed for 18 months for construction of nearby condos.

#3490 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 10:33 AM

Closing a street for a long period is an interesting approach. It takes all the lane restrictions away on the east/west routes past the construction, because it keeps all the equipment in the closed area. Could this be innovative thinking?

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#3491 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 12:11 PM

There is a small section of Vancouver that is being closed for 18 months for construction of nearby condos.

I think it's construction of rentals, but when has this ever happened before, the closing of an entire direction of travel due to a development? We see lane closures regularly, in fact one lane is currently closed past Caledonia on Blanshard (to Fisgard for construction equipment), but never before an entire direction of travel.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3492 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 April 2021 - 12:13 PM

Oh I'm sure it'll be temporary in the same way the Clover Point closure was temporary.

• Nparker, rjag and mbjj like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3493 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 12:17 PM

I think it's construction of rentals, but when has this ever happened before, the closing of an entire direction of travel due to a development? We see lane closures regularly, in fact one lane is currently closed past Caledonia on Blanshard (to Fisgard for construction equipment), but never before an entire direction of travel.

Even the biggest developments only needed the sidewalk. I think it must be for truck access.

#3494 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,048 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 12:30 PM

i don't know.  wade showed us we hardly need so many lanes on johnson.  

#3495 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 12:32 PM

I wonder if it’s related to the Townline project, which had only that lane-way along Pandora, so maybe a full closure is needed to accommodate access via Vancouver.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3496 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 06 April 2021 - 12:57 PM

I wonder if it’s related to the Townline project, which had only that lane-way along Pandora, so maybe a full closure is needed to accommodate access via Vancouver.

Are the Vancouver bike lanes and associated works finished on that block? In Richmond we have the developer build the road upgrades concurrent with redevelopment so that might be a factor, too.
  • Mike K. likes this

#3497 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 01:09 PM

^They are not.

• Mike K. likes this

#3498 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 03:23 PM

I find myself gravitating more to the Oak Bay area for shopping. I can't be bothered to argue with the city any longer about road blockages, one-way streets and other diversions. 

• rmpeers likes this

#3499 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 06:18 PM

We have also moved towards Oak Bay for all of our shopping. Used to do lots downtown and around Cook

#3500 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:28 PM

In Langford they closed a direction of travel on Peatt Rd. for the District 56 construction.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users