Photo

Local road and highway development, conditions

• Please log in to reply
3741 replies to this topic

#3521 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 08:28 PM

Had to go to Quadra and Yates this afternoon. Holy Batman traffic! Between the bike lanes, every 2nd lot had a building site and each of those took over one lane of traffic, some of the office workers are back and the tourists (saw many other provincial plates). Instead of going west to my next destination, headed back east to Cook St so I could travel north to get where I had to go. A few more stops in the Gorge-Tillicum area, then headed south first on Douglas then Blanshard to get home. Both of those looked like parking lots going north. 

#3522 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,341 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 05:07 AM

Mark Anderson intends to defy the law and install dash cameras in his company’s vehicles, and dare the authorities to do something about it.

Anderson, owner of West Coast Driver Training, said he informed ICBC, which regulates driving schools in the province, that he was going to install the cameras but was told by the insurance agency that incorporated businesses in B.C. are not allowed to have dash cams or recording devices in company cars.

ICBC cited the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner in B.C. and its policy that states that under the Personal Information Protection Act, capturing the images or audio of individuals both inside and outside the vehicle constitutes a collection of personal information.

https://www.cowichan...of-prohibition/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 October 2021 - 05:07 AM.

#3523 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 06:35 AM

People record persons outside of their cars all the time. That doesn’t make any sense.

#3524 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 08:20 AM

ICBC is a dinosaur when it comes to things like this. They once told me, about a decade ago, dash cam footage would not be reviewed as evidence because it lacks context, and could be deceiving, etc. Today police ask for dash cam footage, and ICBC recommends you have it to back up your claim.

Just go ahead and do it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3525 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 08:24 AM

People record persons outside of their cars all the time. That doesn’t make any sense.

I get recorded the entire time I'm in Walmart (they don't even try and hide it flat-out showing you as you're walking in and a few other places around the store) so why would a company car be any different?

#3526 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 October 2021 - 08:24 AM

There isn't anything wrong with collection of personal information. Just ensure that there is a sign on the car saying recording is happening - in general if you are informed that recording is happening, it means you consent (or have the option to leave the area).

• Mike K., Nparker and Cats4Hire like this

#3527 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 10:43 AM

I get recorded the entire time I'm in Walmart (they don't even try and hide it flat-out showing you as you're walking in and a few other places around the store) so why would a company car be any different?

Because when you're inside Wal-Mart you are on the business's private property, not on a public road.
Not that I think company cars should be barred from having dash cams, but there is a distiction.

Edited by Mattjvd, 04 October 2021 - 10:44 AM.

#3528 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 02:55 PM

Because when you're inside Wal-Mart you are on the business's private property, not on a public road.
Not that I think company cars should be barred from having dash cams, but there is a distiction.

I see security footage clearly recording public streets used to try and find suspects and stuff all the time. 

• Nparker likes this

#3529 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 October 2021 - 07:46 AM

Driving in the rain was terrible today.

More and more newer cars on the road with their ultra-white headlights.  The shift towards the blue end of the colour spectrum creates more difficulty for oncoming drivers and the extra brightness from newer lights reflects off wet roads doubling the number of apparent light sources.  I'm finding Tesla lights to be some of the worst but many of the Asian imports are problematic too.

Add to that the inability of municipalities to use a glass bead paint applied with a drop-on technique so water doesn't sit on top of it, and lanes are impossible to see resulting in more panic maneuvers as drivers finally only realize at the last second where they're supposed to be positioned on the roadway and you have a real mess in bad weather.  

We spend millions on bike lanes only to negate their effectiveness with crappy road markings forcing drivers to stare at the road in front of them rather than looking up for vulnerable road users.  

• Nparker and FogPub like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3530 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 October 2021 - 07:51 AM

^ every time we get a rain storm with massive puddles, here comes seb's blue lights and bad paint post again  :teacher:

• Matt R. likes this

#3531 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 October 2021 - 07:55 AM

^ every time we get a rain storm with massive puddles, here comes seb's blue lights and bad paint post again  :teacher:

Yup! Why do we allow such mediocrity?

• rjag likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#3532 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 08:03 AM

Mediocrity all over the place. Starting with the poor way we train and test drivers, going all the way up to how expensive our insurance is.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3533 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 28 October 2021 - 08:04 AM

Then theres those frigging strobe lights on the bikes pointed straight ahead 

• Nparker likes this

#3534 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 08:06 AM

And motorcycles with high beams on 24/7.

The worst are the kids who put on HID lights in without the diffusers, providing no light for them as they drive, but blinding everyone around them.
  • sebberry likes this

Know it all.

#3535 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 October 2021 - 08:15 AM

And motorcycles with high beams on 24/7.

The worst are the kids who put on HID lights in without the diffusers, providing no light for them as they drive, but blinding everyone around them.

Unfortunately it's a look made popular by automakers who think the bluer-white light looks 'premium'.  

I'm sure for the driver of said premium HID/LED/Laser head lights the visibility is improved, but for oncoming drivers it's a nightmare.  

• Barrrister likes this

#3536 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 08:25 AM

Not without a diffuser, though. That’s missing in virtually all of the HID kits kids install for ‘the look.’ They either don’t know about needing specialized diffusers, or don’t care.

Know it all.

#3537 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 October 2021 - 08:35 AM

Not without a diffuser, though. That’s missing in virtually all of the HID kits kids install for ‘the look.’ They either don’t know about needing specialized diffusers, or don’t care.

What do you mean by diffuser? You don't want the light diffused, you want it focused.  

Usually when 'the kids want the look' (which is becoming more common among middle aged folks in their second generation Honda CRVs), it involves putting HID bulbs into housings designed for halogen bulbs.  Sometimes these housings are simple reflector housings, other times they're projector housings.  HIDs in reflectors are usually the worst for glare as the system relies entirely on the design of the reflector bowl to direct the light beam.  Because HID bulbs produce light in a completely different way from halogens, the reflector can't properly aim the light and it ends up being a terribly controlled glary mess.  

Projector style 'conversions' are better, although still illegal and offer poor control of light output.  Again, the differences between the position and orientation of a halogen bulb's filament vs the arc of an HID lamp mean the light output isn't properly controlled.  Projector lamps offer better cutoff shielding, but again these are designed for the halogen bulb.

#3538 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 08:43 AM

Oh yeah, reflectors/projectors, not diffusers!

There are a lot of products being sold that should be illegal to install on your vehicle.
  • Barrrister likes this

Know it all.

#3539 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 October 2021 - 08:46 AM

Oh yeah, reflectors/projectors, not diffusers!

There are a lot of products being sold that should be illegal to install on your vehicle.

They are illegal to use, not illegal to sell.  The only legal option to retrofit a car is if that model was offered with HID lights when it was new and you swap in a completely OEM system.  

#3540 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 08:50 AM

The traffic on Rockland is becoming a high speed mess since they closed off Richardson. The traffic engineer is about to install :experimental > pinch points on Rockland which have never been proven to work anywhere else. They dont actual slow traffic rather they create a visual barrier that encourages drivers to slow down without actually impeding traffic, 

I have not decided if the traffic engineers think we are stupid or if they are just completely incompetent. Maybe both. They seem happy to spend money on pet projects without any concerns for the residents.

• Mike K. and rjag like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users