CFB Esquimalt / navy news

• Please log in to reply
945 replies to this topic

#701 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,319 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 01:07 PM

the guy what made this decision should get a posthumous medal.  super smart to move canada's navy base here from chile.

CFB Esquimalt, Canada’s naval base headquarters in the Pacific, was established in 1865 after the country moved their base from Chile the year before. Esquimalt was the anglicized version of the First Nation’s word “es-whoy-malth”, which means “the place of gradually shoaling water.” 

https://www.capitald...royal-bc-museum

#702 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 06:02 PM

Canada had a navy base in Chile?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#703 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,319 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 06:17 PM

In 1865, Esquimalt replaced. Valparaiso, Chile as the Royal Navy Headquarters in the Pacific.

https://www.esquimal...t_formatted.pdf

i think that is what they mean.  "canada" didn't really have anything/much back in 1865.  certainly not foreign ports.   it was just sort of a place name.  although now i'm told we had some kind of self-government back in the 1840's.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 March 2021 - 06:21 PM.

#704 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,319 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 06:36 AM

An internal Defence Department report has pulled back the curtain on the damage caused by an errant test on one of Canada's four submarines last year, suggesting some of the damage is permanent and could continue to pose a risk over the long term.

Obtained by The Canadian Press through access to information, the report represents another setback for Canada's four submarines, which have spent more time in repairs than at sea since being bought second-hand from Britain in 1998.

HMCS Corner Brook has been hit particularly hard, with the vessel docked for extensive repairs and maintenance for the past six years after striking the bottom of the ocean off B.C. in 2011. A fire also broke out while it was docked in Victoria in August 2019.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-test-1.5975659

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 April 2021 - 06:36 AM.

• todd likes this

#705 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 06:48 AM

"A full repair of the damage is impractical and would not be economical," the report reads.

I don't know, if a contractor damaged the tank then they should be expected to fix it correct?

I hope that the sailors being sent out to sea in that sub know what their leaders and politicians think of them.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#706 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,319 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:42 PM

Trudeau gov't spent $13m flying old Australian CF-18s to Canada

https://www.rebelnew...f-18s_to_canada

#707 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,319 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 06:03 PM

Tonight Major Kellie Brennan told committee former CDS General Jonathan Vance fathered two of her children #cdnpoli #CAF

Maj. Kellie Brennan says former chief of the defence staff Gen. Jonathan Vance told her he was “untouchable” and that he “owned” the military police. She also said “he fathered two children with me.”

Global News asked Vance in February whether he had done so — he said no.

“On a personal note, he fathered two children with me. He’s not responsible to pay or to have those children under his responsibility. It’s all up to me,” Brennan said in testimony before the House of Commons status of women committee on Thursday night.

https://globalnews.c...kellie-brennan/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 April 2021 - 06:04 PM.

#708 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:05 PM

^ Should be simple enough to validate.

#709 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 09:02 PM

Tonight Major Kellie Brennan told committee former CDS General Jonathan Vance fathered two of her children #cdnpoli #CAF

Maj. Kellie Brennan says former chief of the defence staff Gen. Jonathan Vance told her he was “untouchable” and that he “owned” the military police. She also said “he fathered two children with me.”

Global News asked Vance in February whether he had done so — he said no.

“On a personal note, he fathered two children with me. He’s not responsible to pay or to have those children under his responsibility. It’s all up to me,” Brennan said in testimony before the House of Commons status of women committee on Thursday night.

https://globalnews.c...kellie-brennan/

That adds context to this story from almost five years ago:

For Capt. Kellie Brennan, a solider of 25 years and single parent to eight children, that’s the budget she has to work with when she leaves town for training during the one-year military course she is currently tasked with. The flat-rate subsidy of $75 per day, provided to families who require childcare services during training or government travel, is simply not enough to cover her needs.

On Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 8, Carleton MP Pierre Poilievre called on the government to update its childcare reimbursement policies to provide better service to single parents with multiple children.

“What I’m saying is I don’t think it should be a flat rate per day,” Poilievre said in a follow up interview with Metroland Media, adding that families would be better served with a per-child rate.

Poilievre held a conference on Mother’s Day to call attention to the struggle single parents face with the current reimbursement system after Brennan approached him with her story recently.

“The problem is, Capt. Brennan has eight children and she’s a single parent,” he said, continuing to say childcare is a necessity she can’t go without.

• Mike K. likes this

#710 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 05:31 AM

^ The point I was making is that a simple paternity test would settle the he said / she said aspect of this case. If Vance is the father of the two children then he clearly lied to investigators and presumably the Minister. If he is not the father then it would cast doubt on other elements of Major Brennan's story and likely clear Vance of wrongdoing.

#711 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,319 posts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 05:40 AM

^ The point I was making is that a simple paternity test would settle the he said / she said aspect of this case. 

you think someone is going to order that?  on the request of which party?   the committee?   it's not very politically correct in today's age.  

maybe if there is a civil suit one way or the other it could happen.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 April 2021 - 05:41 AM.

#712 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 05:45 AM

you think someone is going to order that?  on the request of which party?   the committee?   it's not very politically correct in today's age.  

maybe if there is a civil suit one way or the other it could happen.

I don't know, if I was Vance and knew I was innocent (or Brennan and knew I was correct), a few thousand bucks to a PI and a lab would settle things pretty quickly.

#713 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 06:03 AM

The way this is usually handled is a reporter asks the alleged father, would you be willing to submit to a paternity test and watch his reaction.

#714 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 07:22 AM

The way this is usually handled is a reporter asks the alleged father, would you be willing to submit to a paternity test and watch his reaction.

I suspect that happened and that is why the G&M did not report on the issue back in February. They were told that he was the father so they would have asked him for comment. If he said no comment or refused a test they would have reported that. If he said I am not the father and I can prove it then the G&M would have had to report it but then that would have undermined their story. Yesterday the comment was made during the hearing so they were off the hook legally.

#715 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 09:41 AM

I suspect that happened and that is why the G&M did not report on the issue back in February. They were told that he was the father so they would have asked him for comment. If he said no comment or refused a test they would have reported that. If he said I am not the father and I can prove it then the G&M would have had to report it but then that would have undermined their story. Yesterday the comment was made during the hearing so they were off the hook legally.

Journalist Mercedes Stephenson said on Twitter that Global asked General Vance about the allegations in February, and he denied them. She says he was asked about specific children by name, and he responded "I don't even know who these people are."  She says Global didn't run with the story about the children at the time due to legal reasons.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#716 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,319 posts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 09:53 AM

Journalist Mercedes Stephenson said on Twitter that Global asked General Vance about the allegations in February, and he denied them. She says he was asked about specific children by name, and he responded "I don't even know who these people are."  She says Global didn't run with the story about the children at the time due to legal reasons.

if it turns out those are his kids that's not very nice.

guy sounds like a real jackass.

the woman sounds like a piece of work too.  

On Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 8, Carleton MP Pierre Poilievre called on the government to update its childcare reimbursement policies to provide better service to single parents with multiple children.

“What I’m saying is I don’t think it should be a flat rate per day,” Poilievre said in a follow up interview with Metroland Media, adding that families would be better served with a per-child rate.

Poilievre held a conference on Mother’s Day to call attention to the struggle single parents face with the current reimbursement system after Brennan approached him with her story recently.

“The problem is, Capt. Brennan has eight children and she’s a single parent,” he said, continuing to say childcare is a necessity she can’t go without.

maybe slow down on the amount of kids if it's going to squeeze you financially?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 April 2021 - 09:55 AM.

#717 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 10:47 AM

It is unfathomable/bizarre to me that the National Post runs this article as a “did you know” segment. Doesn’t everybody know Russia and Germany simultaneously attacked Poland in 1939? Shouldn’t we all be well aware of this?

The USSR won the Second World War for us. Too bad they also helped start it - https://nationalpost...helped-start-it

In the late 1980s, the Soviet policy of Glasnost (openness) would finally reveal that Molotov-Ribbentrop had included secret protocols carving up Poland as well as giving the Soviet Union free reign to annex the Baltic states of Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania. As Politburo member Aleksandr Yakovlev revealed in a 1989 column in Pravda, Stalin and Hitler were indeed guilty of “collusion” in 1939.

Meanwhile you have kids at Victoria protests waving the USSR’s hammer and sickle flag like it’s so edgy and cool.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#718 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,319 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 10:58 AM

italy sort of switched sides near the end of the war to.

france lost.  (as usual).

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 May 2021 - 10:59 AM.

#719 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 07:28 AM

It is unfathomable/bizarre to me that the National Post runs this article as a “did you know” segment. Doesn’t everybody know Russia and Germany simultaneously attacked Poland in 1939? Shouldn’t we all be well aware of this?

The USSR won the Second World War for us. Too bad they also helped start it - https://nationalpost...helped-start-it

Not exactly. Yes, the fix was in to carve up northern Europe before the shooting started but the USSR didn't really actively participate in the initial invasion of Poland until a few weeks later. The Soviet's main contribution was standing by saying they wouldn't interfere.

The pact was made public shortly after the war but until Glasnost around '89 the Russians continued to put their fake spin on it: "oh, it was simply a non-aggression pact to guard against Western imperialism etc".

Now, after the war ended the Germans spun it an excuse--"hey, we didn't actually start the war, it was those damn Commies, and we just tagged along". As you can imagine, nobody wanted to jump on the "those poor Nazis" bandwagon.

So there was always a sensitivity that any attempt to highlight the Soviet role in the leadup to the war might be construed as downplaying or sympathizing the role of the Germans. 

Edited by Rob Randall, 09 May 2021 - 07:34 AM.

#720 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 07:32 AM

As to why kids march down Douglas Street with Soviet flags, that's always been the most outrageous and provocative anti-imperialist symbol. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, right? Although it should be pointed out that in the past the majority of kids that decided to defect from the west into the USSR and allied countries immediately came to regret their decision.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users