What to do with 3 parking lots on the harbour

• Please log in to reply
351 replies to this topic

#81 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:25 AM

Wasn't able to make it out on the weekend but have provided my feedback on the survey. I would recommend that others do the same.

http://www.victoria....r-dialogue.html

• Mike K. likes this

#82 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:15 AM

Yeah definitely take the survey.

#83 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:51 PM

Hi all sorry for my delayed posting. Here are a few photos from the event. 

IMG_20140509_165238.jpgIMG_20140509_173230.jpgIMG_20140509_164703.jpgIMG_20140509_165005.jpgIMG_20140509_165258.jpgIMG_20140509_173223.jpgIMG_20140509_172646.jpgIMG_20140509_174336.jpg

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#84 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:15 AM

Might be reading too much into this, but I think it bodes well for the Northern Junk development that their plans were included in the harbour display with the headline "Five Principles for a Successful Downtown."

• jonny likes this

#85 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:45 AM

OK, my vision is as follows.

- I'd like to see a concrete structure above the bulk of those two sites. Parking could remain underneath. I would imagine leaving most of the parking would be desirable.

- Above that structure, I want to see a boardwalk/promenade/esplanade along the harbor connecting the two properties.

- These lots should be mixed use with stores, restaurants and businesses. There should be lots of public space, but not too much space, if that makes any sense. I don't want wasted space for the sake of public space, but a busy area. There should be a wide variety of reasons to go to this area. It shouldn't just be a tourist location or a place for events, but a place for everyday occasions and commerce.

- Above the promenade should be 2-3 floors max. This would provide the opportunity for balconies and such overlooking the harbor (restaurants, bars?).

- Most public space should be closer to Ship Point, like maybe an amphitheater or something and maybe one of those kids squirting water attractions? 

- Everything built should be open concept, with lots of walking access and everything needs to flow together with downtown, but not be kitschy.

- The integration with the harbor will be the tricky part with a raised structure. I'm stuck between having a raised boardwalk/esplanade or one at sea level. Maybe a grand staircase at the amphitheater that goes down to the harbor boardwalk?

It should look something like Baltimore, without the ugly architecture. There's lots of access to the harbor with Baltimore. There's the walkway, sea level restaurants and then second floor restaurants and stuff.

11050882.jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#86 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:50 AM

...it bodes well for the Northern Junk development that their plans were included in the harbour display...

I suppose, but it's also an odd thing to do, isn't it? Making a reference to a project that exists only on paper, and one that might never actually be realized? I'm not trying to curse it, I'm just making the point that anything can happen.

Edited by aastra, 14 May 2014 - 08:51 AM.

#87 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:07 AM

^aastra, where's your Wharf mock-up?

• jonny likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#88 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:55 AM

So to be clear the Northern Junk poster was from the DVBA table at the event and not the city. 

As for where to locate the buildings one of issues that was presented to me is that most of the lot areas close to the water are built on dredge fill material with the bedrock angling steeply down from the parts near Wharf Street. This means, particularly at the Ships Point area that any new structures will have to  go closer to the wall. I think this would still allow for something along the lines of the Baltimore example shown above. The fill on the Northern lot is not so bad from a containment perspective but the Ships Point one is a little more sketchy.

It has a whole new look!

#89 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,568 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:26 AM

What I feel we should be emulating is Cape Town's inner city industrial waterfront (check the link and cruise around, it's pretty big). It's absolutely amazing and manages to combine public, private and municipal uses in the same places at the same time. They've done an absolutely exemplary job over there but so few locals have experienced it that it rarely, if ever, gets any mention locally.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#90 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:02 AM

Hmm. Cape Town is nice though I found the Harbour there a little disjointed. Didn't flow well. Would certainly call it a good starting point. It has a really nice wheel, several nice markets, an aquarium, tons of restaurants of all sorts. Boat cruises.

#91 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,568 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:10 AM

They are in the process of redeveloping some of the disjointed pieces that you mention. It's all coming together so darned well over there. It's too bad it's so far away and pricey to travel there for many travelers but I'd go every year if I could.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#92 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,236 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

Someone called me a pedant for pointing out that it is Ship Point, singular. So I am reminding folks that is called Ship Point.

• Nparker likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#93 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:24 PM

Sounds better plural. If we keep using Ships Point it will be the common usage and the City will have to change the name.

• lanforod likes this

It has a whole new look!

#94 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:43 AM

Aastra is too modest to show off his old hypothetical rendering so I will do it on his behalf. You have to look close to notice this is not real--it looks so natural and logical.

waterfronthypobd4.jpg

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#95 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:04 AM

Sounds better plural. If we keep using Ships Point it will be the common usage and the City will have to change the name.

It we put the sewage treatment plant down there, then we will have to change the name again to S*** Point.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#96 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:31 AM

Coming to New West.

Click

Attached Images

• newwest.png

#97 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:34 AM

Aastra is too modest to show off his old hypothetical rendering so I will do it on his behalf. You have to look close to notice this is not real--it looks so natural and logical.

waterfronthypobd4.jpg

That's a winner, but I don't see my amphitheater!

#98 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,568 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:40 AM

That looks like a bar I went to in Berlin. It's so bizarre to sit along a river, drinking beer, while your senses are trying to convince you you're at the beach.

Know it all.

#99 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:26 AM

I still like the idea of building smaller mixed-use buildings down there instead of some major project, but a major project that has abundant viewing space and green space on the roof at roughly the same level as Wharf Street would also be terrific.

#100 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,236 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:39 PM

Don't forget there will also be a space, when the Harbour Air terminal building is removed from the land it currently occupies. It is still in your shot.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users