* * * * * 3 votes

Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#5121 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:55 PM

Has there been any instances of fentanyl laced pot being sold in the CRD?

That would be a concern if buying illegal pot, unless of course that was what you were looking for.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5122 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 April 2019 - 06:01 AM

I think the pot laws will be very selectively enforced with regards to the black market, as they are currently (and have been for years) selectively enforced with regards to booze.

In B.C. today, there are a handy bundle of liquor laws that are essentially ignored (unless you publicly thumb your nose in the Governments face).

Over time, folks will be given rights that they won't make use of anyway ... just as with booze today you're free to set up a still in your basement and make whatever hard spirits you want to make ... and yet very few people ever bother to do such a thing, instead going to the jar store and dropping $80.00+ for a bottle of the "good stuff".

Similarly, the Highway #1 smugglers route from Alberta into B.C. see's tens of thousands of gallons of booze illegally crossing every day ... and the B.C. Liquor Distribution Branch hasn't yet set up a checkpoint on the border.

It'll all work itself out, and few (if any) people will "go to jail" for violating assorted pot laws that nobody wants in place anyway, and in time pot (like booze) will be purchased from whomever makes it easiest, cheapest, and most accessible.

And over that same time, the B.C. Gov't will (as they did with booze) make sure it's them or their "official" dealers that fit that bill.

#5123 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 19 April 2019 - 12:23 PM

Not saying it is easy, just saying how it is done. 

Possibilities vs. probabilities then.

#5124 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 10:49 AM

:)

#5125 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 11:11 AM

Recall travelling through Amsterdam on 420 as a young kid only to realize while standing in the Anne Frank house that 420 is actually Hitler’s birthday :mad:.

#5126 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 11:19 AM

Was hitler against marijuana?

#5127 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 02:55 PM

Presumably, a large gathering will take place on the lawns of the legislature in November of this year to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the end of the Federal prohibition on alcohol in Canada.

• sebberry and DustMagnet like this

#5128 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:11 PM

Presumably, a large gathering will take place on the lawns of the legislature in November of this year to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the end of the Federal prohibition on alcohol in Canada.

Some of your ideas are pretty good.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5129 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,051 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:00 PM

The vast majority of cannabis, or 79 per cent, was bought illegally in the fourth quarter, according to Statistics Canada, down from 90 per cent in the third quarter.

Legal sales of dried flower across Canada in February were down 8.8 per cent from January, partially due to a shorter month, but average daily sales of dried cannabis in February remained relatively flat, up one per cent from the previous month.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 April 2019 - 12:00 PM.

#5130 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 01:26 PM

First legal victoria dispensaries only opened a week ago: https://originalfarm.com https://www.cloudninecollective.ca

#5131 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 04:14 PM

^^I think a drop from 90% to 71% in one quarter is pretty substantial, given that it has not yet become even marginally convenient to buy legally in most areas.

#5132 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 04:28 PM

^^I think a drop from 90% to 71% in one quarter is pretty substantial, given that it has not yet become even marginally convenient to buy legally in most areas.

The G&M is doing what they do best and that is giving 1/2 the story. Pot was illegal until the fourth quarter which is why they made it look like there was an increase in legal sales. What they are leaving out is that the % of legal sales dropped in Q1 2019

Edited by spanky123, 21 April 2019 - 04:32 PM.

#5133 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 05:41 PM

The G&M is doing what they do best and that is giving 1/2 the story. Pot was illegal until the fourth quarter which is why they made it look like there was an increase in legal sales. What they are leaving out is that the % of legal sales dropped in Q1 2019

Ok but illegal pot being sold who’s behind it .Is organized crime
being funded by it . Some of same people who won’t buy something in a grocery store
because it’s not cool ,organic or hip might buy pot from a local dealer without ever thinking where does this pot come from .Who is really benefiting from it . I can tell you if I decided to open up my own liquor store, didn’t pay taxes only told you what country the booze was made in I expect I’d be shut down the first day . I’d be breaking many laws and be paying many fines .Pot not so much why is this .
  • Nparker and VIResident like this

#5134 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 05:54 PM

Ok but illegal pot being sold who’s behind it .Is organized crime
being funded by it . Some of same people who won’t buy something in a grocery store
because it’s not cool ,organic or hip might buy pot from a local dealer without ever thinking where does this pot come from .Who is really benefiting from it . I can tell you if I decided to open up my own liquor store, didn’t pay taxes only told you what country the booze was made in I expect I’d be shut down the first day . I’d be breaking many laws and be paying many fines .Pot not so much why is this .

Most of today's "non-Government pot" is being grown on FN lands. Owners of the pot shops that I know tell me that 90% of their pot is coming from FN lands on the mainland and that is standard for all of the shops in the City.

As I pointed out earlier in this thread, a quick google check will show that over 100 bands are both growing and selling pot. The Feds have shown no interest in challenging FN bands on pot, much like they have ignored illegal cigarette sales for more than 30 years.

Edited by spanky123, 21 April 2019 - 05:55 PM.

#5135 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 06:44 PM

It’s not possible that FN to be infiltrated by organized crime. Vice did an article illegal pot shops Ontario last year .It was a fear of one band leader that organized crime would get involved with pot like they did with cigarettes in Ontario.

#5136 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:26 AM

It’s not possible that FN to be infiltrated by organized crime. Vice did an article illegal pot shops Ontario last year .It was a fear of one band leader that organized crime would get involved with pot like they did with cigarettes in Ontario.

Sorry my first sentence should read as a question.Left it too long to correct it .

#5137 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:23 AM

Sorry my first sentence should read as a question.Left it too long to correct it .

I guess by definition any group dealing in illegal pot or cigarettes is "organized crime" but most of the FN run organizations I know are run by ex-cops, retired politicians and other executives who have the funding, contacts and knowledge of the rules (or lack thereof) to scale the operations. 

#5138 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:46 AM

I guess by definition any group dealing in illegal pot or cigarettes is "organized crime" but most of the FN run organizations I know are run by ex-cops, retired politicians and other executives who have the funding, contacts and knowledge of the rules (or lack thereof) to scale the operations.

W5 did a whole segment on organized crime that has infuriated the Ontario FN cigarette market . The organized criminals are not FN . FN are strongly persuaded to sell their product along side their own .I’m not saying this is happening here or not .
It is an Ontario band chief who has voiced an opinion that he is worried that it could happen with pot .Just like it happened with cigarettes.

#5139 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:04 AM

FN have a cultural right to tobacco. It is a new world crop and part of their heritage. Cannibis is an old world crop brought over by the Europeans. I am waiting for Trudeau to apologize to FN for the settlers exposing them to this drug.
  • lanforod likes this

#5140 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:02 AM

Provincial health officer’s report calls for decriminalization of people who use drugs . https://sooke.pocket...EhtVSEXbgtA49V8

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users