McDonald's restaurants in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
707 replies to this topic

#561 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:34 AM

It sure did, and their coffee is pretty darned good.
  • Matt R. and 57WestHills like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#562 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:39 AM

^white people stopped having kids thats why

True.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#563 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:03 AM

^white people stopped having kids thats why

True.

This is entirely off topic and I won't comment further, but I cannot let these posts stand without some sort of response. I expect this sort of sentiment from RFS, but I never thought of you as a racist VHF. Please tell me your post was meant to be sarcasm.

• Coreyburger likes this

#564 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:16 AM

Well, the "McDonaldLand" characters that the OP refers to were brought into McDonald's in the 70's.  When the white birth rate was very high in Canada.     McDonald's was the "kids" restaurant.

Now, with a dropping birth rate among whites, and an increasing visible minority immigration rate, the restaurants needed an image change.  There are less kids, and mostly less white kids, but the number or restaurant units remains high. 

So the solution is the"grown-up" McCafe. 

Just talking about race, immigration and demographics is not in and of itself "racist", Nparker.

I can assure you, to advertisers and marketers, race and skin colour is extremely important.  That's why you will often see an over-representation of some races by some big advertisers, to show they are inclusionary.   Take a look at bank commercials etc. 

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 20 January 2018 - 09:25 AM.

• Mike K. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#565 m3m

m3m
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:59 AM

McCafe is the branding for their drink menu, but it remains a component of each McDonald’s restaurant and is not a standalone “McCafe” coffee shop. At least not yet.

I've seen standalone McCafe coffeshops all over Europe and Asia.  I've only been once or twice for a quick snack/coffee.  They just serve coffee/pastries/ready to eat snacks just like a starbucks or similar. Can't get Big Macs or fries.  The ones i've seen have typically been quite modern and much more upscale than what we'd expect from our current McDonalds in Canada.  I'm also about 90% sure they actually used real espresso machines and freshly steam their milk rather than the use the automatic "just press a button" robot cappuccino machines they use here. Pics below I found on google for reference.  I would welcome this sort of standalone store in Canada and likely go frequently. 

XVM47276350-78ff-11e6-b13a-32139200ba5e.

14364804_1010816749031177_41894552714639McCafe-BGC-Arts-Center-2.jpg

• Nparker, lanforod and Star Dust like this

#566 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 January 2018 - 01:36 PM

^ that's quite nice; perhaps they don't want to take Starbucks and Timmies on quite so head to head here?

#567 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:38 PM

Oh yeah, I see.

You actually often see American chains doing things very differently in other countries. In some parts of Europe going to McDonald’s is a pretty big deal, lol. It’s like a Sunday dinner place.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#568 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:09 PM

I would consider going to a MacDonalds like that here if they used real cups and plates. I hate "good" coffee in a paper cup. And the cakes would have to be pretty good.

A few years back I met up with a friend in Paris for coffee. Not that I ever go to Starbucks, but he sure wasn't impressed with them being in Paris and wondered why any self-respecting Frenchman would go there. :)

#569 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:22 PM

I remember when when every table in the McDonalds had a GLASS Syrup dispenser on it for breakfast, salt and pepper shakers, and real utensils instead of plastic ones.

Everything you ordered also came in Styrofoam containers.

Attached Images

• NMAH-AHB2010q73258.jpg

#570 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:23 PM

I really think McDonlds should go to kiosks and takeout windows.

#571 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:24 PM

That model has to work. I bet 70% of Downtown is take away now. Eliminate all money handling and reduce your lobby costs.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 20 January 2018 - 04:25 PM.

#572 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:29 PM

Pandora wanted to redevelop, let’s not forget. The priority was a second drive through lane but the City wouldn’t support it.

Know it all.

#573 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:45 PM

Park and order (on your mobile device) might be coming. That might eliminate the need for the second drive thru lame.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 20 January 2018 - 04:45 PM.

#574 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:59 PM

Park and order (on your mobile device) might be coming. That might eliminate the need for the second drive thru lame.

A drive thru is lame. Usually faster to go in side and order the lamb. 

• lanforod likes this

#575 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

I've seen stand alone McCafe coffee shops all over Europe and Asia. I've only been once or twice for a quick snack/coffee. They just serve coffee/pastries/ready to eat snacks just like a Starbuck's or similar...The ones I've seen have typically been quite modern and much more upscale than what we'd expect from our current McDonald's in Canada...

I doubt I purchase anything from McDonald's even once a year. If there were a stand alone McCafe as m3m illustrates above I am quite certain I'd be a relatively frequent customer.

#576 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:09 PM

McDonald's already has "PARK & ORDER ONLINE"  You order from your cell phone app, and their are reserved spots in the McDonald's parking lot just for those who order online. Then someone inside brings your food out to your car. You don't go through a drive-through, you don't pay inside. All done over the internet.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#577 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:21 PM

McDonald's already has "PARK & ORDER ONLINE"  You order from your cell phone app, and their are reserved spots in the McDonald's parking lot just for those who order online. Then someone inside brings your food out to your car. You don't go through a drive-through, you don't pay inside. All done over the internet.

See, in the hour or two since I posted it's already been invented.

• Nparker, Matt R. and Daveyboy like this

#578 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:25 PM

See, in the hour or two since I posted it's already been invented.

Ah, but did you copyright your idea?

#579 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:29 PM

Ah, but did you copyright your idea?

Too late Ha Ha.........they did it a few months ago.  Not sure if it's at all the locations, but it's DEF at Saanich, and I think i seen it at one other location as well.  Grocery stores  are in on it too. Save On Foods has had it for a couple of years. You order on your cell phone, then their are reserved spots in the parking lot for "online pick-up" then a grocery clerk from inside brings you your groceries.

#580 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:33 PM

Langford and esquimalt mcdons has it. I believe its called "curbside"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users