Drones in the city

• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#141 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:22 AM

"For safety purposes, we recommend you fly at least nine kilometres (five nm) from aerodromes (airports, heliports and seaplane bases) in order to remain clear of manned aircraft and most control zones. All aerodromes should be considered “No Drone Zones” if you do not have permission from Transport Canada."

http://www.tc.gc.ca/...rone-zones.html

Seems that way. Not sure why they'd use the word 'recommend'. though.

#142 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:39 PM

If this article is correct Drones are illegal in basically all of Greater Victoria?

It was just a matter of time. The drone ban around Vancouver airport came out last February according to this.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...rbour-1.3458536

#143 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:02 AM

This is curious, because there is literally signage in this area of the Dallas Road walkway that outlines it as an area where RC aircraft are permitted, and that is certainly within the 9 km of both the Helipad and the Harbour Airport.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#144 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:57 PM

This is one of the maps stating where you can fly RC planes.

Attached Images

• rc zone.png

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#145 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:21 AM

So many people are registering drones in the U.S. and applying for drone pilot licences that American federal aviation officials say they are contemplating the possibility of millions of unmanned aircraft crowding the nation’s skies in the not-too-distant future, the Associated Press reports.

In the nine months since the Federal Aviation Administration created a drone registration system, more than 550,000 unmanned aircraft have been registered with the agency, said Earl Lawrence, director of the FAA’s drone office.

Speaking Friday at the first meeting of a new government-industry drone advisory committee, Lawrence said new registrations are coming in at a rate of 2,000 a day.

By comparison, the FAA says there are 260,165 manned aircraft registered in the U.S.

http://ottawacitizen...-pilots-by-2020

#146 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:47 PM

Drone hunting:

the DroneShield guys illustrated how one might capture such a drone with a net gun, a tool normally used to catch feral animals.
http://www.nbcnews.c...-drones-n494881

better yet, use a Drone to catch a drone:
https://youtu.be/jvdKNBSWPyU

Some drones are Expensive -- you could hold it for ransom.
jbw

ps. The site's login link was Really hard to see/find for those who've forgotten precisely where to look for it.

Edited by James Bay walker, 09 December 2016 - 04:50 PM.

#147 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:04 PM

...the DroneShield guys illustrated how one might capture such a drone with a net gun, a tool normally used to catch feral animals.

Methinks that thing would really prove its worth if it ever catches a feral animal operating a drone.

#148 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:22 AM

And reinforcement of the no-drone zone that is basically all of Greater Victoria:

New rules for flying recreational drones in Canada revealed
Recreational drone users can't fly higher than 90 metres or at night or they'll face fines
By Andrew Foote, CBC News

The rules, which are effective immediately, mean recreational users will face a fine of up to $3,000 if drones weighing more than 250 grams are caught flying:

• Within nine kilometres of somewhere aircraft take off or land, or a forest fire.

[Full Article]

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#149 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:30 PM

The rules, which are effective immediately, mean recreational users will face a fine of up to $3,000 if drones weighing more than 250 grams are caught flying:

• Higher than 90 metres.
  • Within 75 metres of buildings, vehicles, vessels, animals or people.

...I am  people....so I have to be standing 75 metres away from my drone when it takes off?...and hope my dog doesn't run into range before I gain 75 metres of altitude? If I fly over a building I have to be 75 metres above it and hope that I am not more than 90 metres above ground level lest someone call 911 on me....because we all know how easy it is for someone to stand on the ground and be able to tell that my drone is 93 metres up.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#150 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:33 PM

Nice to see rules that will really protect the public being put in place (*sarcasm*).  

#151 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:44 PM

You can't be over a building since your max altitude is 93 meters and you must be 75 meters away from a building at all times.

So in essence drones have now been outlawed from residential and commercial areas and have been relegated to parks and uninhabited areas.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#152 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:02 PM

I reckon I've got a few metres of wiggle room if I'm flying over a rancher. It's those four story buildings that'll get me fined...

#153 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:30 PM

I reckon I've got a few metres of wiggle room if I'm flying over a rancher. It's those four story buildings that'll get me fined...

I reckon you don't. I believe the 75 meters is a horizontal distance from buildings, so you can't fly over any of them.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#154 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:37 PM

so many place outside of any downtown to fly them

#155 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:15 PM

Interestingly one segment of the population that seems intent on getting their drone license is the professional photog set. I know of two local (south Island/Greater Victoria) professional photographers who've got their drone licenses to provide them with those unique, different "drone's-eye view" of various natural subjects, and a third photographer (actually my brother-in-law) who is at least interested and currently kicking around the idea of getting his license although I know's its not a cheap proposition. Does seem to be a "thing" for sure....

#156 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:10 PM

Drone regulations are only for people who do not intend to use them for criminal activity, otherwise it will be like the defunct gun registry asking the bad guys to register their guns.

#157 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:55 AM

LJ, that makes no sense. If it only applied to the horizontal plane, then you could fly 1 foot above the building. ""Within 75 metres" must mean omni-directional...above, below, to the front, to the back, or to either side.. If you are 90. metres above the building you are not within 75 metres of it by any stretch of the imagination....unless the building is more than 15 metres tall.

#158 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:11 AM

This is how I understand it. You can't fly over a building, period, unless it is short enough where you will not fly above 93 meters while maintaining a minimum distance of 75 meters from the structure, and provided there are no other buildings within 75 meters of the drone.

Essentially this bans amateur operated drones from urban areas, which I have to admit is a smart move.

Drone.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#159 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:24 AM

This is how I understand it. You can't fly over a building, period, unless it is short enough where you will not fly above 93 meters while maintaining a minimum distance of 75 meters from the structure, and provided there are no other buildings within 75 meters of the drone.

Essentially this bans amateur operated drones from urban areas, which I have to admit is a smart move.

So no more launching the VV drone from the rooftop, eh?

#160 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:53 PM

LJ, that makes no sense. If it only applied to the horizontal plane, then you could fly 1 foot above the building. ""Within 75 metres" must mean omni-directional...above, below, to the front, to the back, or to either side.. If you are 90. metres above the building you are not within 75 metres of it by any stretch of the imagination....unless the building is more than 15 metres tall.

No no, as Mike demonstrated, or tried to, you have to remain 75 meters away from any structure - horizontally, so yes, it is omni directional just as it is for airports and fire fighting areas.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users