Photo

Drones in the city

• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#161 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:04 AM

You can't fly over a forest fire or an airport because you cannot be closer than 9 kilometres. You can't fly a drone at an altitude of 9 kilometres, so that takes care of that. That's not the case with a building. If you can't fly over a building they would have said just that or made the altitude restriction match the distance restriction.....IE cannot be closer than 75 metres and cannot fly above 75 metres. No ambiguity there. They could just word it the way you seem to read it.... the no-fly zone is  an imaginary cylinder enveloping a building, with radius of 75 metres and an infinite height.....but they didn't. If indeed that is the intent then it is poorly worded especially since they are urging people to call 911 if they see these rules being broken.

Edited by Langford Rat, 18 March 2017 - 08:06 AM.

#162 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:32 AM

Dont call 911 for trivia issues like the pizza guy delivered me a pizza that was not hot enough it's a waste or resources and you may be tying up the lines for a true emergency....however its OK to call 911 if you see an old man flying his Phantom 3 drone in his backyard because it may take out a low flying airplane that is flying over his neighborhood at an elevation of 20 metres.

When was the last time a drone caused and airplane to crash? or how about a large bird like a goose? When?

#163 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:33 AM

You cant fly them at a specified elevation. is that from sea level or from the top of a hill.

#164 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:01 AM

Sea level.

Let's hope a plane never crashes because of a drone, which I think is the point of the regulations. Let's prevent accidents rather than respond to them.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#165 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:26 AM

so then the elevation regulation only applies to those flying them at sea level

#166 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:46 PM

Sea level.

Let's hope a plane never crashes because of a drone, which I think is the point of the regulations. Let's prevent accidents rather than respond to them.

It is AGL, Above Ground Level.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#167 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:51 PM

You can't fly over a forest fire or an airport because you cannot be closer than 9 kilometres. You can't fly a drone at an altitude of 9 kilometres, so that takes care of that. That's not the case with a building. If you can't fly over a building they would have said just that or made the altitude restriction match the distance restriction.....IE cannot be closer than 75 metres and cannot fly above 75 metres. No ambiguity there. They could just word it the way you seem to read it.... the no-fly zone is  an imaginary cylinder enveloping a building, with radius of 75 metres and an infinite height.....but they didn't. If indeed that is the intent then it is poorly worded especially since they are urging people to call 911 if they see these rules being broken.

They did say just that, you can not fly within 75 meters of any building, the same as you can not fly within 9 kilometers of an airport. The altitude restriction applies everywhere. 

#168 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:38 PM

Sea level.

US Airways flight 1549 was forced to land in the Hudson River because of geese flying into the engines, so the concern of a mismanaged drone is real.

#169 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:33 PM

I can't  see it happening a bunch of drones flying  in a V formation on a flight path onto a runway

#170 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:42 AM

It is AGL, Above Ground Level.

Ah, that makes sense.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#171 Mario Lemieucous

Mario Lemieucous
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:44 PM

Much like the 30km/h speed limit on some of our arterial roads, I suspect this new restriction may be ignored by many otherwise law abiding residents. Personal judgement will rule.

#172 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:04 PM

'Drone Territory': B.C. First Nation hopes drone tourism will take flight
Klahoose Nation on Cortes Island to use drones to map out territory, promote tourism

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...4032009?cmp=rss

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#173 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,004 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 03:22 AM

The Aug. 19 trial included delivering an EpiPen or epinephrine autoinjector, for severe allergic reactions, and naloxone, used in opiate overdoses, from a London Drugs mobile unit in Duncan to the Country Grocer store on Salt Spring Island. There was also a trial direct-delivery flight to a patient’s home on Salt Spring.

The drone flew itself most of the way, planning the route itself and making adjustments for weather or other aircraft, said Philip Reece, chief executive of InDro Robotics, which specializes in unmanned aerial vehicles. A pilot on Salt Spring Island monitored the flight as a safety precaution.

The drone was equipped with a camera and the ability to listen for other aircraft and send out alerts to nearby pilots to let them know an unmanned aerial vehicle was in operation.

https://www.timescol...irst-1.23931169

philip reece is a former owner of saltspring air.  since sold to harbour air.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 August 2019 - 03:23 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#174 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,004 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 06:17 AM

Meredith Moll, Harbour Air spokesperson, welcomes the idea of working with InDro, saying they have been brainstorming possibilities.

For example, if an item was flown to the Sunshine Coast via Harbour Air, “you could then take it that much further with one of the drones to other communities.”

Some things could be delivered by a drone instead of chartering a plane, Moll said, listing items such as passports, wallets, eyeglasses, cellphones and keys to boats.

Reece anticipates the market will expand to include business-to-business deliveries and other services.

“This new licence means we can ship anything up to 10 kilograms (other than people and animals) — important documents, artwork, jewels — basically anything a manned aircraft could.”

Transport Canada approvals allow InDro to initially operate on routes within 25 kilometres but the company is looking ­forward to expanding to 200 kilometres.

https://www.timescol...rone-1.24236472

“Each flight only take a matter of minutes, and once a route has been set up it could run all day. It will all depend on demand.”

The maximum permitted weight of a drone, including its 10 kilograms of cargo, is 25 kilograms, Reece said.

A drone will travel 86 kilometres per hour and go up to 76 metres above the ground.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 November 2020 - 06:18 AM.

#175 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 06:47 AM

I guess I would be OK using it for something valuable. But I don't know if I would put something irreplaceable in a little toy that could be taken out with a slingshot.

#176 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,004 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 07:07 AM

i think that #1 the slingshot would have to be a pretty amazing shot.  but #2 if it's blown out of the air from such a low altitude there won't be much cargo damage.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 November 2020 - 07:07 AM.

#177 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 07:11 AM

Buckshot from a 12-guage would do nicely. Covers a wider area. You wouldn't want to shoot it from private property, the GPS would rat you out.

#178 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,004 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 07:17 AM

don't we presume these will land at airports or designated air landing places (like where a helicopter lands now) so you are at some risk firing guns nearby.

think of it as landing in the middle of your high school fields.  you'd be found out pretty quick if you made a habit of firing at it with gun or slingshot.

i think the chances of drones being regularly fired upon is mostly unfounded.  people in urban areas do not normally fire upon birds or buses or whatever.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 November 2020 - 07:19 AM.

#179 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 08:59 AM

people in urban areas do not normally fire upon birds or buses

Then again, people in urban areas don't often see birds transporting valuables, or documenting human activities by camera and microphone.

(Whether or not the birds are flying in the air or riding public transit or walking on their own two feet seems to be irrelevant)

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#180 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 08:50 PM

They make a very annoying sound, I wouldn't want to be on a flight path for them.

They won't be landing at airports or heliports, they will land at a specified area at the destination be it someone's yard or business.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users