156 replies to this topic

#21 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

That's a pretty sweet payday!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#22 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:40 PM

As a female athlete, a veteran of Royal Vic, the Boston Marathon and the Triathlon World Championships, I cannot articulate effectively what a steaming pile of unmitigated horse**** this statement is.

"Men do it for Good Reasons; Teh Wimmins do it to get themselves a man."

Climb back under your rock.

Right on

#23 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:46 PM

I think that there is a greater % of women running because there are a greater percentage of women in Victoria.

#24 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:29 AM

As a female athlete, a veteran of Royal Vic, the Boston Marathon and the Triathlon World Championships, I cannot articulate effectively what a steaming pile of unmitigated horse**** this statement is.

"Men do it for Good Reasons; Teh Wimmins do it to get themselves a man."

Climb back under your rock.

Thank you.

#25 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

Questions of motivation still remain, though - why did more women than men compete? A non-scientific poll of my f/b account shows 3 participants: one solo male, one solo female, and one woman doing it as part of a group of 3 friends. I wonder if events such as 'Run for the cure' have brought more women into the running fold as part of a bonding experience?
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:30 PM

Questions of motivation still remain, though - why did more women than men compete? A non-scientific poll of my f/b account shows 3 participants: one solo male, one solo female, and one woman doing it as part of a group of 3 friends. I wonder if events such as 'Run for the cure' have brought more women into the running fold as part of a bonding experience?

Marathonning is a sport for generally older people, the best long distance runners are older. I watched the race on Sunday, there were not very many 17-year-olds running.

Women are a higher percentage of the population than men, and when men and women age, at say, 35 or 45, women are in better shape.

And believe it or not, woman have a higher threshold for pain. They willingly have more than one child.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#27 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:49 AM

First, I'd like to acknowledge JBW's gracious retraction.

I don't have a firm opinion about the shift in gender balance. I do believe that the kinds of supportive clinics that have arisen in the last ten years make running far more accessible to women than trying it on your own. I was first attracted to running as a working parent of young children with really limited time to myself. I was able to get out, get moving, and get the sanity-inducing endorphin fix I needed with the minimum of time and expense. Later, as my kids became more independent, I was able to reach into tri and its demanding training schedules.

I have noticed over the years that the women's age groups get tougher and tougher right into the 50s. There are a number of races in which I've placed in the 40-something age group but wouldn't have even registered in the 50+ rankings. I think that has a lot to do with our increased available time as our children grow up. I'll be aging up in a few years and it's not the good news I'd have expected it to be.

How much of it is cultural? My mom is a world-ranked age-group triathlete but says it's mostly because almost all of her competition is dead. And, she says, the pool in her generation is much narrower, because she came before the Title IX generation, when sport opened to women. My generation and down have been raised to think sport is just What We Do. Hers had to deliberately choose it.

Still, at the risk of drawing generalizations, women aren't socialized into team sports as much as men are. But (generalizing) we like community. So, while I haven't the faintest idea how the offsides rule works and don't even consider team sports when building my sports portfolio, running with a clinic or riding with my club or training with a master's swim group lets me enjoy activity and motion in community.

Would be interested in looking at the demographic shift across all three races, by age-graded performance, and by age group. I bet there's an interesting story there.

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:56 AM

Ah, well-said.

Still, at the risk of drawing generalizations, women aren't socialized into team sports as much as men are. But (generalizing) we like community. So, while I haven't the faintest idea how the offsides rule works and don't even consider team sports when building my sports portfolio, running with a clinic or riding with my club or training with a master's swim group lets me enjoy activity and motion in community.

Yes, I like this part, I can concur.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:09 AM

http://youtu.be/PGnVNzV2nqg

#30 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:01 AM

Some pics from this morning's race...

15329206099_4f21914802_h.jpg

The three leaders coming up Johnson St. 
15329441838_28245419e7_h.jpg

15492935946_7100434080_h.jpg

And everyone else...
15512945571_068a22bc25_h.jpg

Edited by Gary H, 12 July 2015 - 04:14 PM.

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:13 AM

http://youtu.be/Fj7m221gHXQ

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 05:52 PM

This is the missing audio from VHF's video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxoUmh2FCX4

• sebberry and Bingo like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#33 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:49 AM

And thanks again to BC Transit for demonstrating total incompetence in dealing with a scheduled event that causes the exact same issues as another event that runs in the same neighbourhood also running every year.  You would think that the marathon would be paying for a BC Transit supervisor to keep an eye on traffic delays and route diversions and perhaps informing the Infoline operators of the situation.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#34 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:51 AM

I've merged the two Goodlife Fitness and Royal Victoria Marathon threads

• Mike K. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:15 AM

And thanks again to BC Transit for demonstrating total incompetence in dealing with a scheduled event that causes the exact same issues as another event that runs in the same neighbourhood also running every year.  You would think that the marathon would be paying for a BC Transit supervisor to keep an eye on traffic delays and route diversions and perhaps informing the Infoline operators of the situation.

I actually did see a BCT supervisor vehicle, he was following the last runner and reporting back to base as they re-opened the north-south intersections like Douglas and Blanshard.

#36 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:24 AM

I actually did see a BCT supervisor vehicle, he was following the last runner and reporting back to base as they re-opened the north-south intersections like Douglas and Blanshard.

Well there sure as hell nobody on Superior Street  just before noon where #30/31 buses were taking crazy detours while traffic (including other buses) were using Superior street with no problems.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:27 PM

Esquimalt had a 5km ColorVibe race today.

http://www.esquimalt...ts07121501.aspx

Interesting concept.  It's un-timed.  And you get whacked with paint along the way I guess.

http://www.thecolorvibe.com/

1379563_444659438977885_1400937401_n.jpg

119faf07356a5a098df36e3b4d035e1e.jpg?ito

#38 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:27 PM

Can't be good to breathe that stuff can it?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:35 PM

Can't be good to breathe that stuff can it?

I must be harmless and not very tough on eyes or throat, some of the videos online, they are right in clouds of it.

#40 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:33 PM

Marty had a great video of the event, apparently it is cornstarch + colour

https://www.facebook...52/?pnref=story

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users