Clover Point

• Please log in to reply
1112 replies to this topic

#361 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 04:21 PM

Clover Point is not open to pedestrians, and hasn’t been since the 60s when the loop was created?
  • sebberry likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#362 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 04:23 PM

Clover Point is not open to pedestrians, and hasn’t been since the 60s when the loop was created?

I guess I have been lucky never to have been caught breaking this rule all the times I have walked there over the years.

• sebberry, Redd42, Love the rock and 2 others like this

#363 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 04:23 PM

Welcome to VV btw!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#364 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 04:27 PM

We are moving away from a car centric focus in Victoria and opening areas up to all including cars and people with other considerations (including mobility).

So by closing Clover Point to cars it is somehow more open to all? What about those people whose mobility issues prevent them from being able to access CP except by vehicle? How are they being included?

• sebberry, rmpeers and jrm like this

#365 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 February 2021 - 05:28 PM

A lot of this intolerance directed at cars is because of their use of fossil fuels.  Now that we're slowly electrifying, can we please stop the war on cars?

• Redd42, rmpeers, FogPub and 2 others like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#366 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 05:33 PM

Councillor Isitt said his concern is with the vulnerability of people in an environment where there are cars.

Know it all.

#367 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 05:36 PM

Councillor Isitt said his concern is with the vulnerability of people in an environment where there are cars.

Does he mean almost all land surface across the planet? How have we managed to avoid mass carnage of pedestrians on a daily basis for the past century?

#368 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 05:42 PM

Not sure. But he’s concerned.

Know it all.

#369 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 05:43 PM

Oh, I get it now. It's the "if I* can't have what you have then nobody shall have it." This is divisive, dangerous and undemocratic.

*Isitt supporters/demographic.
  • Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#370 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 06:05 PM

We are moving away from a car centric focus in Victoria and opening areas up to all including cars and people with other considerations (including mobility).

Not exactly.  You are excluding "we" when it becomes all or nothing.  Ban cars = ban seniors and ban those with disabilities.

Edited by On the Level, 14 February 2021 - 06:07 PM.

• Love the rock likes this

#371 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 14 February 2021 - 06:54 PM

Like grocery store parking lots, parkades, malls, etc etc... ffs 🤦‍♂️

#372 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 07:00 PM

Yes. Those are places where people without cars are at an extreme risk, the councillor believes.

Know it all.

#373 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 07:25 PM

I guess I have been lucky never to have been caught breaking this rule all the times I have walked there over the years.

I too have walked there and lived to tell. Had no idea how dangerous it was til Ben clued me in.
  • Nparker likes this

#374 jrm

jrm
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 12:57 PM

I am one of the 483 people who have received an email from Ms. Helps regarding my email to her about Clover Point.  It is very long and full of so much BS that has nothing (or not much) to do with keeping it open to cars.  Her last paragraph says it all when she says it's time for the days of driving right up to the ocean to come to an end.  This shows her mind is made up and Lisa almost always gets what she wants.  Do seniors and disabled not have the right to drive up to the ocean for the views?  Do they not have the right to feel the ocean breezes on their face?  This council should realize that one day they will be old and disabled and will rue the day they ruined this city.

That's the thing; parking at Clover Point and taking in the view/atmosphere IS the experience.

• mbjj and jrm like this

#375 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 04:01 PM

What a load of hooey. 

• jrm likes this

#376 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 04:02 PM

I am one of the 483 people who have received an email from Ms. Helps regarding my email to her about Clover Point.  It is very long and full of so much BS that has nothing (or not much) to do with keeping it open to cars.  Her last paragraph says it all when she says it's time for the days of driving right up to the ocean to come to an end.  This shows her mind is made up and Lisa almost always gets what she wants.  Do seniors and disabled not have the right to drive up to the ocean for the views?  Do they not have the right to feel the ocean breezes on their face?  This council should realize that one day they will be old and disabled and will rue the day they ruined this city.

I received it and sent a rather rude reply. 

• Nparker, Love the rock and jrm like this

#377 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 05:05 PM

I received it and sent a rather rude reply. 

I gave that some consideration, but ultimately decided there were no words I could use in response that wouldn't be considered obscenities.

• mbjj likes this

#378 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 05:23 PM

i read her long winded email also.. someone posted it to one of the many facebook groups out there...she does her usual calls social media an echo chamber of negativity yet she quotes a social media poll, and she starts by saying "i'm not going to pick a side" but ends by saying "But for the rest of us, it's time for the days of driving right up to the ocean to come to an end. " that very much sounds like she's picked a side.. 

she even goes as far as saying to sit down and have a conversation with someone who disagrees with you but she doesn't listen to anyone who disagrees with her... and i do think there is validity in social media comments, yes you have to take it with a grain of salt but multiple polls across multiple forms of social media and multiple conversations across multiple social media formats should give you atleast some idea of which way the wind is blowing

• Nparker likes this

#379 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 05:30 PM

I am concerned for the safety of people in an environment where Isitt is a councilor.
  • Nparker, Redd42, Love the rock and 3 others like this

#380 Fox

Fox
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 07:44 PM

“The majority of people feel the same way I do.”
This is a phrase I’ve heard uttered often this week about Clover Point. And every time Council proposes to take a bold action that changes the status quo, whether it’s bike lanes, reconciliation efforts, sheltering during the pandemic, or this, week Clover Point, I hear the same message, “The majority of people feel the same way I do.”
Those of you who have written to me this week to tell me this have shared a screenshot of the number of “likes” on your Facebook page, or you site the majority of comments in a Facebook Group that you belong to, or point to the number of people in an online media poll where the majority of voluntary respondents have supported your point of view, or note that all the callers on one radio show are saying the same thing.
This approach to difficult issues – asserting that a majority of people hold a particular view based on social media, an online poll, or talk radio – threatens democracy, undermines civic dialogue, and inhibits our collective ability to tackle complex problems.

https://lisahelpsvic...bruary-14-2021/

She truly believes her way is the only way. What a bizarre letter.

Edited by Fox, 15 February 2021 - 07:48 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users