Photo

Clover Point

• Please log in to reply
1112 replies to this topic

#521 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 01:02 PM

Have to ask: since a number of people see an area that is mostly grass and perceive it as a parking lot, perhaps driver training courses should be expanded to include a "How to Identify a Parking Lot" module.

Currently, they are mistakenly assuming that, by the time a person has reached driving age, they will be able to identify a parking lot, but apparently this is an issue.
  • Nparker, rjag and pennymurphy2000 like this

#522 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 01:31 PM

i never considered clover point a parking lot... to me it's a lookout  parking is around the edge for people to sit and look out at the water and the waves...with a nice big grassy area in the middle which is perfect for kites.. almost every time i went down there someone was flying a kite... taking away the parking as they have done completely changes how people use the point in my mind...

• Nparker, grantpalin, pennymurphy2000 and 2 others like this

#523 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 01:41 PM

i never considered clover point a parking lot... to me it's a lookout parking is around the edge for people to sit and look out at the water and the waves...with a nice big grassy area in the middle which is perfect for kites.. almost every time i went down there someone was flying a kite... taking away the parking as they have done completely changes how people use the point in my mind...

I guess anywhere with motor vehicle parking is perceived by these folks as a parking lot. Why is no one campaigning to ban parking from the Swan Lake Nature Preserve? Clearly, it's essentially a parking lot, too.

We will never be able to have a reasonable conversation about anything if people deny plain facts. It's a sort of cult mentality. Ben says CP is a parking lot, which it obviously isn't, and people repeat it. Possibly even believe it, which is, uh, problematic.

#524 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 27 February 2021 - 02:37 PM

Fact - there are designated spots for cars to park. That makes it a parking lot. Now just because it’s an oval shape doesn’t disqualify it from being a parking lot, and it’s irrelevant whether people are in the car, out of the car, on top of the car or having sex in the car.. a car is still occupying a parking spot in a parking lot, which then excludes that land from being used for other purposes. As well, people on foot, bike, skateboards, rollerblades, etc. are required to take all the necessary precautions associated with a parking lot.

I agree it’s a nice parking lot with one of the best views to be had from a parking lot in Victoria - although the parking lot on top of Mt Tolmie is decent. I also understand why many would not want to lose this parking lot and that’s a totally reasonable opinion. Calling it what it is does not mean it must go, unless ya’ll hate parking lots? You can still love parking lots and hate Ben Isitt folks! Parking lot is a not a dirty term, so let’s not make up new language for political reasons. But if we are - Viewpoint For Temporary Positioning; Stable for Horseless Buggies; Anti-Ableist Lookout; Thanks A Lot I’m not a Lot Drive.

#525 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,032 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 02:51 PM

^ will you agree there are different types of parking lots at least?

#526 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 02:56 PM

Absolutely - they are different types of parking lots.

#527 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 03:14 PM

I think the issue is that some people have suggested the whole point is a parking lot, which it clearly isn't. If you're just saying the paved oval is a parking lot (or rather, a roadway with parking spaces) then, yes, that's fair enough.

What chafes me is the "it's all a parking lot" claim, which is just silly propaganda, clearly tailored to the Isitt-QAnon demographic. Maybe Ben can do a press conference where he displays a big aerial photo of CP that he's altered with a sharpie. ;)
  • Nparker, rjag and Midnightly like this

#528 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 03:19 PM

Fact - there are designated spots for cars to park. That makes it a parking lot. 

Fact - it's a park with designated spots for cars to park at its perimeter. Most parks in the region have a place for vehicles to stop. I am not sure why someone would think Clover Point is a parking lot and not a park.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#529 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,032 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 03:26 PM

https://twitter.com/...416156824145922

#530 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 February 2021 - 03:50 PM

Here's a question - when did city council vote on instructing staff to come up with the proposals that set off this recent firestorm?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#531 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 04:36 PM

Glad to see we’re coming to a general consensus that Clover Point is park that has a different type of parking lot - which is not surprising considering those are the actual facts. Should there be a parking lot, if so, how large, what configuration and the impact of the current parking lot are all open for debate.

I’m ok with the new parking proposal as it still gives access to the boat ramp.

Now that Twitter thread from VW is a hilarious read! Wow, folks are getting all worked up with no sense of humour over this park parking lot debate! I actually feel a bit sorry for Aryze (or the person behind Aryze posts), who support a car free Clover Point, and in their other comments suggested Dallas Road as an alternative car parking option.

From Aryze -

Alternative Headline:

“Clover Point should be for all, and by all I mean only people that can afford cars”

https://twitter.com/...8784788486?s=21

Better still is Fairfield resident Maureen Jones’ reply to the Aryze parkade tweet:

“I think your "sense of humour" needs an adjustment. Not funny when so many of us are seriously suffering varying degrees of depression from not being able to access Beacon Hill Park, and now, it seems we are precluded from Clover Pt. as well.”

Maureen’s interests as shared on Twitter are “France, food, philosophy, photography, champagne, espresso, travel, naked swimming :)

Edited by zoomer, 27 February 2021 - 04:43 PM.

#532 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,032 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 04:56 PM

that reminds me.  my upcoming annual naked-swim-to-port-angeles event should remain unaffected by any change by the way.  that actually leaves from fonyo beach.  it started out just as a naked polar bear swim but then inspired by the "float down" it took on an international flavour/flavor.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 February 2021 - 05:01 PM.

• zoomer likes this

#533 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 04:57 PM

Should there be a parking lot, if so, how large, what configuration and the impact of the current parking lot are all open for debate

i know I have said this before, but all Clover Point needs is some minor and relatively inexpensive tweaking to the existing pedestrian space. 

• rjag, sebberry, rmpeers and 2 others like this

#534 Banksy

Banksy
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 08:23 AM

Now that Twitter thread from VW is a hilarious read! Wow, folks are getting all worked up with no sense of humour over this park parking lot debate! I actually feel a bit sorry for Aryze (or the person behind Aryze posts), who support a car free Clover Point, and in their other comments suggested Dallas Road as an alternative car parking option.

From Aryze -

Alternative Headline:

“Clover Point should be for all, and by all I mean only people that can afford cars”

The actual joke here is zoomer has finally found a project by Aryze he likes.
  • aastra, Nparker, rjag and 1 other like this

#535 Banksy

Banksy
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 08:25 AM

i know I have said this before, but all Clover Point needs is some minor and relatively inexpensive tweaking to the existing pedestrian space.

That would ruin zoomer’s two annual visits to Clover Point. How dare you talk such micro-aggressive trash nparker.
  • rjag likes this

#536 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:51 AM

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good."

Thomas Sowell

• Nparker, rjag and Teardrop like this

#537 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:12 AM

I only dislike about 72% of what Aryze is involved with.

Although I have minor quibbles with the Rotunda and Tresah projects, they are quite beautiful and have the potential to be signature buildings in their own way.  Some of the single family homes projects are also quite good.

As for Clover Point, I'll admit I probably only go there a 2 to 3 dozen times per year, so not a daily user.  I take my dog swimming below Dallas road, by the way, did you know there are amazing views to be had while parked along that part of Dallas?  Stunning! Of course if you prefer to be closer to the ocean and on windy day have your vehicle get a salt bath, then down by Ogden Point is pretty good too, also some decent sunset views from their as well.  Anyways, I digress.. if the water is choppy I'll take my dog across Clover Point, down to the boathouse ramp, and then we go along that sea wall for him to swim around as it's very protected and calm.  Before I cross I make sure to re-leash him as cars are coming and going, often distracted by the view, so not really safe.  We don't stop in the grassy middle as there are usually people flying those huge kits there and gearing up in for various water sports, not to mention it's in a middle of parking lot, too windy and cold, etc.  Putting picnic tables there is a dumb idea.

Here are a couple of my favourite photos I've taken down by Dallas Road and Clover Point, I hope you enjoy them :)

50245753521_a7cca2e247_h.jpgClover Point by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

29148027365_3cf2e00358_h.jpgBetter than TV news by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

27208734141_ed0d089f1a_h.jpgDallas Road Beach - Dog's Paradise by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Edited by zoomer, 28 February 2021 - 10:14 AM.

#538 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:19 AM

We don't stop in the grassy middle as there are usually people flying those huge kits there and gearing up in for various water sports, not to mention it's in a middle of parking lot

It really isn't.

#539 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:26 AM

It really isn't.

It's certainly the greenest, grassiest parking lot I have ever seen. Weird how Clover Point is becoming some kind of rorschach test.
  • Nparker likes this

#540 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:36 AM

I thought we settled this... it's a parking lot, but if you prefer to call it a different type of parking lot I'm good with that.  Picture below from the Richmond News article about two vehicles plunging over the edge of the cliffs. Ok, now who in their right mind would picnic in the middle of this?  I never have, I never stop there.  If you have kids or pets you certainly wouldn't. What part of that ice cream cone shape would you feel safe in with your family?  Sure you could fence it all in, then it feels like you're in a small dog park for humans, separated from the main point of going to Clover Point to start with.  When they remove the west facing portion of the parking lot, then that land becomes far more usable, but still, can't see it being an ideal picnic spot.

680371-23carsracing-web.jpg

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users