Photo

Clover Point

• Please log in to reply
1112 replies to this topic

#881 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 05 September 2021 - 08:13 PM

Was by there earlier this evening - about 6 pm. Was an unusual non-windy day so no kite surfers. Also no one at any of the picnic tables. A few people on the long benches and a few more on the red lounge chairs. And a vehicle parked on the space with the yellow diagonal lines i.e. not a parking space. The occupants of that vehicle were eating, preferring their vehicle (the horror) to the picnic tables.

To follow up on the comment above "I think the animosity to this project is overblown." Absolutely not - those picnic tables and lounge chairs and benches will not be used most months of the year. There is a reason that area is popular with the kite surfers. Besides the wind, they will be covered in sea gull **** very quickly. And as other posters have pointed out, the city could have added picnic tables and benches to the grassy area in the middle. But no, the whole point was to take away the car access.

• Nparker, grantpalin, Love the rock and 2 others like this

#882 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 05:20 AM

Time to not only take away the benches but also to take away this council, 

• mbjj, A Girl is No one and jrm like this

#883 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 06:11 AM

I just feel horrible for disabled people who had some fun taken away from them.
  • jrm likes this

#884 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 08:08 AM

I was there one evening this week. The parking lot was full, and all the picnic tables were being used. Seemed like everyone was having a good time. I think the animosity to this project is overblown.

I was there one evening this week. The parking lot was full, and all the picnic tables were being used. Seemed like everyone was having a good time. I think the animosity to this project is overblown.

I don't because every time we've tried to park there, no spaces were available. It's infuriating that about 8 people have taken away what the rest of us have enjoyed for decades. 

• sebberry likes this

#885 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 September 2021 - 10:16 AM

It's cold and foggy this morning at Picnic Point.  Nobody is sitting there picnicking with sausages and pancakes.  

• Nparker and jrm like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#886 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 11:08 AM

I don’t agree . People are fed up with the decisions that are made by some on council. Many working tax payers are nauseated and embarrassed at how tax dollars are being spent over and over again .

Council doesn’t get a pass anymore.

Some may use the picnic point area seating  occasionally  at this point  after all they paid enough for it .

As for the parking spots being full how is that any different than it’s ever  been .
Unless  you are saying people are driving  to the ocean’s edge, getting out of their cars  to gaze upon expensive picnic tables and deck chairs .Now that  would be something new .

• Nparker, mbjj and Barrrister like this

#887 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 01:03 PM

Clover Point has become an issue because it exposes how Council is disingenuous.  If you want to ban cars then say so.  Be honest.  Don't hide behind Covid, the homeless or whatever excuse you are trying to use.  

Decisions for Clover Point were anti car and nothing more.  We all know it.  They know it.  Just be honest.  Stop with the excuses.

• Nparker, rjag, Redd42 and 8 others like this

#888 freedom_2008

freedom_2008
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 01:20 PM

My experience at Clover Point today (around noon time): The picnic tables were full and the benches and new seats were mostly used. Very lively, lots of people coming and going. There were some empty parking spaces.

#889 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 01:44 PM

Again a non-windy holiday at the end of summer.

How about you report how many picnic tables are in use in November?

• Nparker, todd, Barrrister and 1 other like this

#890 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 02:56 PM

Was there around noon somebody was drinking beer all but one of the picnic tables were being used one of the fancy seats being used

Lot of cars going through the turnaround 

That’s all I observed

#891 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 06:19 PM

We were there around 12:30. Whole area smelt of something nasty...sewage? Car after car went down looking for parking, most came out. Noticed a car from Manitoba. Guess they thought we were a sane city and it would be a nice place to sit and gaze at the sea. They had a hard time in the turnaround as someone on a bike was stationed there, lol. Came out again as no place to park. I think some were sitting at the tables, but not eating. Too nauseating. 

#892 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 06:33 PM

Around 4PM...sunny warm long weekend day.   I can't think of a day that would be busier.

No all bad news.  The new red chairs are popular as are the normal benches.  If the picnic tables won't be used today, they will rarely be.  

Attached Images

• IMG_20210906_162811.jpg
  • IMG_20210906_162837.jpg

• Barrrister likes this

#893 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 06:49 PM

Clover Point has become an issue because it exposes how Council is disingenuous.  If you want to ban cars then say so.  Be honest.  Don't hide behind Covid, the homeless or whatever excuse you are trying to use.  

Decisions for Clover Point were anti car and nothing more.  We all know it.  They know it.  Just be honest.  Stop with the excuses.

we were told when clover point was shut down it would return as is, no changes would be made.. parking would remain the same... and what we got was a rushed through bait and switch.. we lost a huge chunk of parking that gets used throughout the whole year and replaced with an idealized fantasy picnic point what will see little use other then cars going down there to turn around because they can't find parking... all because they "had some extra money" left over from the dallas road remodel and god forbid they put that money back in the budget to re-allocate somewhere else or towards the endless debt they keep digging us into

• Nparker, Redd42 and Barrrister like this

#894 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 07:47 PM

post-3724-0-42652200-1630981925.jpg

and that’s a fresh bench/table give things a week or two assuming no pressure washer should be interesting. luckily heading into the rainy season but will it be enough

Edited by todd, 06 September 2021 - 07:50 PM.

• sebberry likes this

#895 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 September 2021 - 08:09 PM

5:38pm on the last day of the summer holiday.  The temperature was perfect with the slightest bit of sea breeze to keep things cool.  Just before I took this three people at one table had just cleared off their bit of Tim Hortons.

I was hoping these would be full of people enjoying takeout from the Cook Street Village restaurants 

I think what these tables need are umbrellas.  There's no shelter from the sun at all.

Attached Images

• 4.jpg

• Barrrister likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#896 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 08:49 PM

I'd be interested to see how many cars are actually there on a cold January afternoon. I would bet the parking that's there is plenty.

If adding a few picnic tables is so noteworthy, maybe the local government isn't so bad. There are people on council I strongly disagree with, but this project really isn't a big deal.

#897 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 09:25 PM

I'd be interested to see how many cars are actually there on a cold January afternoon. I would bet the parking that's there is plenty.

If adding a few picnic tables is so noteworthy, maybe the local government isn't so bad. There are people on council I strongly disagree with, but this project really isn't a big deal.

on a cold January afternoon a fair number of cars would be there... people who would walk their dogs would park there, and fairly often people who just want to watch the water.. it is actually a very popular spot on rainy windy days in the fall and winter to watch the waves from your car... or atleast it was

• Nparker, sebberry, Redd42 and 4 others like this

#898 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 05:16 AM

on a cold January afternoon a fair number of cars would be there... people who would walk their dogs would park there, and fairly often people who just want to watch the water.. it is actually a very popular spot on rainy windy days in the fall and winter to watch the waves from your car... or atleast it was

Depending on the time of day (sunrise, afternoon, sunset) cars would park on either side  ... it was such a unique experience and one that city counsel failed to  either not understand or not appreciate. 

• Barrrister and jrm like this

#899 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 05:41 AM

It is a big deal, because this is a place I would take my mom to to enjoy a unique view of the ocean. She is unable to walk much these days, and this was a spot she loved to visit. Especially during storms, we’d drive down and park at the tip to experience the thrill of such a spectacle.

Back in the day this was a place we took grandma to, too.

We’ve lost our way in Victoria, and the ridiculousness of the Clover Point saga epitomizes an agenda that puts politics first.
  • Nparker, LJ, Redd42 and 8 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#900 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 07:04 AM

But, to state the blindingly obvious, there will be more cars there in January than picnickers.

To try and make this very easy to understand, this project was a waste of time and money that serves no other purpose that to attempt to deprive a certain segment of the population (older people) of enjoyment.

What next? Will they try to take away the flowers? :)
  • Nparker, rjag, Redd42 and 3 others like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (3)