Photo

Clover Point

• Please log in to reply
1112 replies to this topic

#901 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 08:09 AM

One of the cars we saw exiting after not finding parking definitely had an older person in the passenger seat. But if you don't qualify for a handicapped sticker (or whatever new term we're using these days) then you can't park in the handicapped spot. 

#902 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 09:33 AM

M02135_141.jpg

https://archives.vic.../clover-point-5

M08857_141.jpg

https://archives.vic...-marilyn-bell-2

M00845_141.jpg

https://archives.vic...at-clover-point

• Mike K., Nparker, Ismo07 and 4 others like this

#903 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 05:49 PM

My turn…
I walked by there today with the dogs. The weather could not have been more perfect. It was between 5-5:30, perfect time for a picnic on such a glorious day.
What I saw:
4 of the 6 new red chairs were used
0 picnic tables were used
0 other benches were used
All non handicapped parking spots were used
Three cars parked on the grass
One car parked in the handicapped section
Some people brought their own chairs and were sitting on the side where the cars are parked, looking at the water - and not having the blinding sun in their eyes… and…
I still didn’t have a path to walk on on the parking side!!! With all of this, they didn’t even put in a walking path????
  • Nparker, sebberry, Redd42 and 2 others like this

#904 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 05:51 PM

Oh and the previous gadget (water fountains that fills in water bottles too) looks like crap… all rusted over

It seems everything we do now is short term. Looks nice at first but then gets dated or falls in disrepair very quickly. Our childish “leaders” keep chasing the latest fads…
  • newbie_01 and Barrrister like this

#905 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 September 2021 - 11:22 AM

Yesterday was a gorgeous day for a picnic, and kitesurfing.  

https://www.youtube....h?v=3FE67TZ7U88

• Redd42, todd and Barrrister like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#906 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 11:40 AM

Yesterday was a gorgeous day for a picnic, and kitesurfing.  

I assume all the picnickers were asked to move out of the way of the videographer. 

• sebberry, DavidSchell, mbjj and 1 other like this

#907 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 21 September 2021 - 09:01 PM

I was down at Clover Point last night for a picnic - afterwards I embarked on a stroll along the grassy promenade, when I couldn’t help but notice the ridiculous amount of driftwood on the beach. Looks like most of this is logging debris or escapees from log booms. Maybe it’s time to levy a driftwood fee against logging companies which can used to fund removing some of this crap, hauling to a site to dry out, before being converted to chips or tacky furniture. Seriously, how many ankle sprains and possible brain injuries have been caused by falls or trips over the driftwood? Imagine how much beach space would be freed up. Sure we need some seating, but there’s enough down there for 20,000 people. Clean this crap up, it’s looking like a industrial waste land at this point.

Attached Images

• CF61DCB9-FDD3-4AE4-A7A3-AFEA20AF9627.jpeg

• newbie_01 likes this

#908 newbie_01

newbie_01
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 09:38 PM

I wonder if it helps prevent shoreline erosion by absorbing the impact of waves?

#909 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 10:09 PM

I was down at Clover Point last night for a picnic - afterwards I embarked on a stroll along the grassy promenade, when I couldn’t help but notice the ridiculous amount of driftwood on the beach.

I know.  We had a perfectly equitable solution of the "homeless" starting fires and gathering garbage down in that area.  People need to see this though mother earth and compassion.   

Edited by On the Level, 21 September 2021 - 10:10 PM.

#910 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 05:35 AM

Was there a few days back smelly above the doors to the sewage pump plant, tables looked clean but a few spots. nobody using them when I arrived one person using them when I left. One person looking at the red chairs when I arrived two people sitting in them when I left. I could smell marijuana. Around Clover point at sea level extreme amount of small sea type flies. Used one of the new bike racks that was OK. That is all.

Edited by todd, 22 September 2021 - 05:46 AM.

#911 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 08:51 AM

September, 2021:

...I couldn’t help but notice the ridiculous amount of driftwood on the beach. Looks like most of this is logging debris or escapees from log booms... Clean this crap up, it’s looking like a industrial waste land at this point.

--

February, 2008:

I lived in Victoria for two years 2005-2006... The cold water log littered beach there was also a joke.

--

October, 1976:

Daily Colonist
October 7, 1976

I am a relative newcomer to Victoria and have roamed extensively and enjoyed thoroughly this whole beautiful area in the year I've lived here, but one thing has continually bothered me to no end. It is that mangled, splintered accumulation of drift logs strewing the potentially beautiful beaches of Victoria.

...surely every visitor and newcomer to Victoria head quickly for the spectacular view off Dallas Road. What a disappointment when one looks down at the clutter on most of our beaches.

...could not our beaches be kept clear of excessive driftwood WITH THE SAME SORT OF CARE THAT IS GIVEN TOWARDS KEEPING OUR PARKS CLEAN AND TIDY? (aastra says: don't give the CoV any ideas)

Edited by aastra, 22 September 2021 - 08:51 AM.

• Mike K., Nparker and sebberry like this

#912 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 September 2021 - 08:53 AM

surely every visitor and newcomer to Victoria head quickly for the spectacular view off Dallas Road

They don't have much time to take it in though now beyond turning around in the tiny roundabout at Picnic Point.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#913 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 03:03 PM

People used to collect a lot of driftwood way back when, in the days when you could get your car near to the ramp thing at Clover Pt. 

• Mike K. likes this

#914 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 22 September 2021 - 03:43 PM

I forgot I complained about the same thing as a young child in 1976. No one listened then, likely no one will listen now. Maybe if we soak all those logs with one million gallons of gasoline (too overcome the dampness) we could turn them all to ash in one gigantic Halloween bonfire.

When the tide is high, about 80% of the beach is covered in logs.

A time consuming option I’ve been working on is carving a canoe out of the larger logs, with the hope that someone will steal it and put it to good use. For the smaller bits and pieces we could lash then together with kelp making large rafts that would hopefully float away in the opposite direction.

#915 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 03:49 PM

...When the tide is high, about 80% of the beach is covered in logs....

And Blondie is somewhere nearby.

#916 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 04:32 PM

I forgot I complained about the same thing as a young child in 1976. No one listened then, likely no one will listen now..

https://youtu.be/ENMOwXwRTZU
  • zoomer likes this

#917 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 11:02 AM

Whenever you log a complaint you should also make a personal log entry to remind yourself of what you said. It's just logical. This is why we're always at loggerheads. The number of complaints has increased logarithmically even though the number of issues remains the same.

I'm just floating the idea. Just trying to tug you in the right direction. Do you get my drift? Roll with it.

• zoomer and todd like this

#918 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 September 2021 - 11:04 AM

Whenever you log a complaint you should also make a personal log entry to remind yourself of what you said. It's just logical. This is why we're always at loggerheads. The number of complaints has increased logarithmically even though the number of issues remains the same.

I'm just floating the idea. Just trying to tug you in the right direction. Do you get my drift? Roll with it.

Oh log off, aastra :D   :wub:

• zoomer and todd like this

#919 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,854 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 11:05 AM

in the 1800’s some beaches has 60 foot high wood drifts.

It seems we are at a historic low.

https://en.m.wikiped.../wiki/Driftwood

Likewise, when traveling in Dixon Entrance in the late 1800s, George A. Dorsey recorded that many beaches were "piled high with drift, often to a height of sixty feet or more.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 September 2021 - 11:07 AM.

#920 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 11:12 AM

Oh log off

Boom!

• sebberry and todd like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users