Photo

Clover Point

• Please log in to reply
1112 replies to this topic

#921 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 11:15 AM

...beaches were "piled high with drift, often to a height of sixty feet or more...

That was in the era before modern height restrictions. You would never be able to build something so tall on the waterfront today.

• Nparker, sebberry, Daveyboy and 2 others like this

#922 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 05:26 PM

These chairs will certainly get lots of use by sweaty joggers and cyclists.

Finally sat in one of the red reclined chairs. Turns out just cheap ish plastic, see how long those last. Comfortable.. like a dental chair.
  • jrm likes this

#923 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 October 2021 - 08:18 PM

The wind had settled down but there was a steady drizzle and a nice breeze.  Look at all the cyclists sitting on their bikes with a warm drink and a book enjoying the fall weather.

PicnicPoint.JPG

• rjag, A Girl is No one and jrm like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#924 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 08:23 PM

Sure no cyclists, but you must have seen hordes of picnickers.

• jrm likes this

#925 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 October 2021 - 08:47 PM

Sure no cyclists, but you must have seen hordes of picnickers.

You know it!

2PicnicPoint.JPG

• Nparker, Matt R., todd and 1 other like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#926 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 11:28 PM

Sad to think you’d normally see quite a few cars parked down there in this weather. Enjoying the stormy fall wind and spray from inside the car with a hot coffee. But because lisa helps doesn’t own a car nobody gets to enjoy it anymore.
  • DavidSchell, mbjj, Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

#927 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 05:10 AM

Someone should set up a webcam for a year, and make a timelapse video of the benches, stopping every time there's a user with a caption of the date.

#928 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:51 AM

Sad to think you’d normally see quite a few cars parked down there in this weather. Enjoying the stormy fall wind and spray from inside the car with a hot coffee. But because lisa helps doesn’t own a car nobody gets to enjoy it anymore.

Why not ride down there, sit on your bicycle with a poncho, sip coffee from a reusable cup (the insulated ones so your hands don't get warm from it) and read from your Kindle in a ziploc bag so it doesn't get wet?  Sounds like a lovely cozy evening.  You could even a light a LED candle so you're not adding to the heat island with open flame.

• Nparker, rjag, Barrrister and 1 other like this

#929 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:56 AM

^I recommend a memory foam over a gel bike seat just as comfortable without the risk of a messy blowout.

#930 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 12:07 PM

Come on, this run of lousy weather was totally unexpected. Nobody could have predicted it. You guys are acting like the CoV has a crystal ball or something. And anyway, when has anyone ever expressed interest in sitting down there inside parked vehicles during bad weather? I'm pretty sure that's a new request.

• Mike K., Nparker, DavidSchell and 3 others like this

#931 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 04:56 PM

Come on, this run of lousy weather was totally unexpected. Nobody could have predicted it. You guys are acting like the CoV has a crystal ball or something. And anyway, when has anyone ever expressed interest in sitting down there inside parked vehicles during bad weather? I'm pretty sure that's a new request.

No.

#932 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 06:09 PM

I should have said ouija board instead of crystal ball?

#933 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 07:07 AM

Whaaaat? ... Clover Point parking lot was always full during bad weather. Clover Point is (was) literally the #1 spot in the COV for storm-watching, of which 95% of the folks enjoyed storm-watching from inside their vehicle.

The revisionist history process in the COV (presumably to justify bad or agenda laden political choices) is pretty amazing to watch play out ... but as a 65 year old who's lived in the CRD all my life, I've storm-watched with my parents dozens, if not hundreds of times from Clover Point ... and then as a parent, I took my daughter down there many dozens of times to storm-watch. 

In other words, I'm not relating Clover Point stories through my proverbial, agenda laden hat, rather I'm relating my own personal real world experience of storm-watching from inside a vehicle down on Clover Point, and doing so consistently over a period of 65 years.

• todd, mbjj, FogPub and 2 others like this

#934 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 07:16 AM

i think aastra was joking.   :rtfm:

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#935 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 08:46 AM

i think aastra was joking.   :rtfm:

Ahhhhh, I get it now :)

Luckily though, my post still applies to the entirety of Victoria Council, and all the bureaucratic planning boneheads that formulated and perpetuated this ridiculous transformation of Clover Point into a forlorn wasteland.

• Nparker, A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#936 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 09:18 AM

I should have said ouija board instead of crystal ball?

I always liked SimCity 3000.

#937 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:18 PM

Today Clover Point has a scent of burning plastic, uranium, plutonium, tires, cargo bikes and bunker fuel.
  • todd likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#938 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 02:48 PM

I agree with Spy Black. Been going to Clover Pt. for an awfully long time and enjoying it. I don't think we ever failed to find a parking spot, not even during a great thunder storm about ten years ago. Now it's just the dead zone. 

• Nparker, rjag, Barrrister and 1 other like this

#939 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 02:50 PM

Today Clover Point has a scent of burning plastic, uranium, plutonium, tires, cargo bikes and bunker fuel.

Any negatives though?
  • Mike K. likes this

#940 Susan

Susan
  • 5 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 October 2021 - 08:24 PM

There was a fire on a cargo ship. it is likely from that.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users