Photo

Clover Point

• Please log in to reply
1112 replies to this topic

#1001 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 12:13 PM

Birds survived the dinosaurs just fine, why are we worried about a few dogs?

I believe there is some kind of argument that bird poop can stop global warming by creating clouds. https://www.pbslearn...op-make-clouds/

Don’t know if that’s the argument?

#1002 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 12:15 PM

I believe there is some kind of argument that bird poop can stop global warming by creating clouds...

I guano know about that.

• todd likes this

#1003 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 12:23 PM

I guano know about that.

if it is I hope they consult with an epidemiologist.

“…This sanctuary was established on October 27, 1923 to control hunting..”:
https://www.canada.c...ia-harbour.html

Edited by todd, 09 December 2021 - 12:35 PM.

#1004 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 12:39 PM

If scientific study of the discussions on Vibrant Victoria ever becomes a thing, I hope they call it "ornerythology".

• Nparker, sebberry and todd like this

#1005 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 12:46 PM

Because assumptialysis just isn't cool enough for you, aastra?

• sebberry likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1006 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,032 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 12:50 PM

Let’s fix Clover Point after the election

On a recent visit to Clover Point, I was fortunate enough to find a parking spot in the “lucky zone.” For over half an hour, from the comfort of my car, I was able to watch the high waves generated by the prevailing windstorm.

There was a steady stream of cars coming in behind me. Most of them turned around in the tiny circle at the end of the road, and left. A few of them got lucky like me and found a space. I couldn’t help but sigh when I remembered how easy it used to be.

I also got out of my car and went for a walk. I studied the damage that the city “experts” have inflicted upon the area in the name of “improvements.” I realized that it wouldn’t cost much to undo this damage: move the picnic tables off the roadway unto the grass, and remove the post barriers.

With that in mind, and with a municipal election coming up next year, I have a suggestion for all candidates.

Part of your campaign could include a phrase like “Let’s fix Clover Point.” It’s not too late.

Rob Schott
Victoria

https://www.timescol...-harbor-4846071

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 December 2021 - 12:50 PM.

• Nparker, rjag, pennymurphy2000 and 3 others like this

#1007 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 11 December 2021 - 03:13 PM

I’m with Rob Schott on this one.  Additionally they could pledge to undo most of the “traffic improvements” on city roads that have been made over the past few years, including the ugly and distracting cluster of signs that now deface almost all of them.

• Nparker, mbjj, Vicrazy and 1 other like this

#1008 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 11 December 2021 - 03:15 PM

I expect there are a lot of picnickers at the 'point today. 

Edited by Nparker, 11 December 2021 - 03:18 PM.

• todd likes this

#1009 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 11 December 2021 - 03:17 PM

...they could pledge to undo most of the “traffic improvements” on city roads that have been made over the past few years, including the ugly and distracting cluster of signs that now deface almost all of them.

I bet there are more signs than asphalt on Vancouver Street now.

• mbjj and Barrrister like this

#1010 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 11 December 2021 - 07:20 PM

I expect there are a lot of picnickers at the 'point today. 

Actually I drove by there mid morning.  Two or three cars.  No one, of course, on any of the chairs or tables.  There were about a dozen people standing around in a cluster.  Hard to say what they were doing.  Maybe studying how to ruin a much loved community amenity.

• Nparker, todd and Barrrister like this

#1011 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 January 2022 - 02:50 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=n_eHFu4iTsg

This is Picnic (Clover) Point.  The changes, supposedly pedestrian friendly, have made access frustrating for both pedestrians and drivers.  The tight parking is inconvenient for families with kids, strollers, pets, etc... and frankly dangerous when maneuvering in and out of spaces.  The two way road, formerly a one-way half of the loop is now narrow and leaves considerably less space for pedestrians and vehicles to safely and comfortably coexist.  Parking has been substantially limited, resulting in more vehicle traffic entering the area only to have to leave again, unable to stay and enjoy the viewpoint.  

This is anything but 'pedestrian friendly'.  They took a well loved viewpoint, formerly spacious and safe for all who visited, ironically criticized it for being a 'parking lot' and turned it into even more of a parking lot than it ever used to be.

• Nparker, todd, DavidSchell and 6 others like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1012 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 02 January 2022 - 10:56 AM

When all that was needed was a pedestrian walkway around the loop… but it wouldn’t have hindered vehicles access so not a valid idea.
  • Nparker, DavidSchell, Love the rock and 2 others like this

#1013 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 03 January 2022 - 11:26 AM

What a perfect example of finding some dogmatic solution to something that is not a problem. 

• Nparker and Barrrister like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1014 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 January 2022 - 10:38 PM

Even Google had to come and take a look

https://www.google.c...84!8i8192?hl=en

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#1015 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 11:50 PM

Even Google had to come and take a look

If you drive to the end and keep going at the turn around, it changes back to the old Clover Point :)

• sebberry and mbjj like this

#1016 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 08:06 AM

We have our very own Easter egg! Even Google is wondering what the heck happened.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1017 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 January 2022 - 08:22 AM

Gorgeous sunny September afternoon and there's two people at one of the 8-person picnic tables.  The rest are empty :D

I also see fewer birds in the post-adjustment photos.  Perhaps this is proof that the changes are harming wildlife.  Where's the guy who got off-leash dogs banned from beaches when you need him?

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#1018 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 11:13 AM

I believe there are 39 vehicles pictured in May of 2015. In September of 2021 there are 19.

Know it all.

#1019 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 11:16 AM

I believe there are 39 vehicles pictured in May of 2015. In September of 2021 there are 19.

Then Council's decision was, by their standards, successful.

• Mike K. and A Girl is No one like this

#1020 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 January 2022 - 11:20 AM

I drive all the way to Esquimalt Lagoon now when I want to watch the waves lap the shoreline

• todd and mbjj like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)