Photo

Clover Point

• Please log in to reply
1112 replies to this topic

#1021 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 03:41 PM

Gorgeous sunny September afternoon and there's two people at one of the 8-person picnic tables.  The rest are empty :D

I also see fewer birds in the post-adjustment photos.  Perhaps this is proof that the changes are harming wildlife.  Where's the guy who got off-leash dogs banned from beaches when you need him?

Funny you should mention birds. Before when it was windy, the whole grassy area was full of seagulls taking shelter, but every time we've driven down there since those ugly fences were erected, no birds at all. We just commented on that about ten days ago. Maybe they don't like the fences either. 

• Nparker and Vicrazy like this

#1022 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 11:38 AM

Or maybe they miss the dogs?
  • todd likes this

#1023 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 04:42 PM

023B4C8F-7E0A-4351-9F73-0F6D88FB3875.jpeg

#1024 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 05:02 PM

520825E6-43BD-4DAD-BFCE-A7A25DA52EC0.jpeg

#1025 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 February 2022 - 12:32 PM

Oh FFS...  CFAX reporting council has approved a $100,000 pilot project to add another row of the split rail fencing between the walking path and off-leash dog area.

• rjag likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1026 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 03 February 2022 - 12:49 PM

When at first you don't succeed...double down on what isn't working.

• A Girl is No one and Barrrister like this

#1027 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 03 February 2022 - 02:30 PM

Oh FFS...  CFAX reporting council has approved a $100,000 pilot project to add another row of the split rail fencing between the walking path and off-leash dog area.

It is funny watching them. For every item someone points out that it is only a 0.2% - 0.3% increase in property taxes which is only a few dollars per household.

Problem is that there are 40-50 items that they are voting on!

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

#1028 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 February 2022 - 02:33 PM

$100k pilot project.  Why not just rent some temporary fencing and call it a day (year, whatever...)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#1029 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 03 February 2022 - 02:43 PM

It's not the worst idea. I often run along the Dallas Road walking path, and the amount of dogs that will just run abruptly in front of me along the path is well, a lot. And then there are those who have issues being around dogs. Gives them a bit more space and comfort, and the dogs can still run around just to the north side of the path on the other side of the fence.

#1030 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 February 2022 - 03:24 PM

We are seeing more and more dog ownership. It was never this crazy growing up. Suddenly everyone needs a dog, and not just a dog, but a big dog.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1031 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 03 February 2022 - 04:07 PM

There are no off leash dogs on the large bike/pedestrian pathway.

An answer looking for a problem. IMO.
  • sebberry likes this

#1032 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 February 2022 - 04:10 PM

^ I suspect it's much the same number of dogs per person, only a) there's more people and thus more dogs and b) there's fewer off-leash areas than there used to be so there ends up being more dogs in the few off-leash areas that remain.

• A Girl is No one, Kungsberg and Barrrister like this

#1033 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 03 February 2022 - 06:45 PM

I’m more concerned about the crazy, violent lunatics wandering around downtown than dogs.  Maybe they could fence them off.

• A Girl is No one and Barrrister like this

#1034 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 February 2022 - 08:19 PM

We are seeing more and more dog ownership. It was never this crazy growing up. Suddenly everyone needs a dog, and not just a dog, but a big dog.

More and more people are choosing/ending up living alone.  Shocking that they want some form of companionship... 

#1035 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 04 February 2022 - 08:33 AM

None of mum’s four direct neighbours live alone. All have at least one dog. Growing up, only one neighbour did.

It’s a thing now.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1036 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 February 2022 - 08:34 AM

We need strata pet reform.  Cranky old gits still get too much say.

#1037 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 04 February 2022 - 07:42 PM

We need strata pet reform.  Cranky old gits still get too much say.

we were just preventing our child from needing therapy... figured it's the only thing in her life she could run to a therapist and complain about "my parents never got me a dog and i wanted a dog all my life" so we got a small dog (my kid's first word was my parents dog's unofficial name...aka "out" ) though as time has passed her dog has become more our dog

• Mike K. likes this

#1038 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 February 2022 - 08:15 PM

we were just preventing our child from needing therapy... figured it's the only thing in her life she could run to a therapist and complain about "my parents never got me a dog and i wanted a dog all my life" so we got a small dog (my kid's first word was my parents dog's unofficial name...aka "out" ) though as time has passed her dog has become more our dog

Therapists cost more than dogs these days.  I'd love a dog, but around here they're the spawn of Satan.

#1039 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 04 February 2022 - 08:20 PM

Therapists cost more than dogs these days.  I'd love a dog, but around here they're the spawn of Satan.

that's why we went for the dog lol  the kid has had a very happy stable steady childhood.. she was just missing out on the dog...aka her only thing she could could complain about... now she has the dog... he's cute... he's cuddly.. but he can be a complete jerk towards other dogs (i was too cautious with him when he was little and didn't socialize him enough so he has small dog syndrome very barky)

• todd likes this

#1040 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 04 February 2022 - 10:19 PM

Therapists cost more than dogs these days. I'd love a dog, but around here they're the spawn of Satan.

I left the city I lived in for many years because it wasnt dog friendly. Now I only pick cities that are dog friendly. Victoria was awesome… but now losing that (like so much else).

Dogs are one of the great joys in life. Worth moving to have one (I did and never regretted it).

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users