BUILT
200 Cook Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 200 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
200 Cook Street is a five-storey mixed-use rental apartment and ground floor commercial development in the Coo... (view full profile)
Learn more about 200 Cook Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Cook St. Village] 200 Cook Street | Rentals | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
1225 replies to this topic

#521 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:22 PM

I live in 580 sq ft and love it! This resistance to the development of a well planned, aesthetically pleasing building that the village needs is much like Brexit! The people who oppose it aren't going to be here in 25 years! The old buildings in Cook St. are for the most part tear down dumps. We need options in the form of affordable units, commercial space, and room for the younger generations who can't afford the million dollar homes. The complainers were lucky enough to buy their houses 20-30 years ago for 200k. Guess who's deferring their property taxes yet want a say in future developments?! It's ludicrous.

Welcome to the forum, EG!

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#522 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:13 PM

Welcome to vibrantvictoria eglazier.

#523 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:02 PM

212-220-Cook-Street-July-08-2016.jpg

Rental housing takes centre stage at Cook Street Village development

http://victoria.citi...ge-development/

A mixed-use rental, condo and ground floor commercial development planned for the south end of Cook Street Village has been revised to include more rental housing, according to Urban Core Ventures' latest plans submitted to the City of Victoria.

The five-storey, 53-unit low-rise envisioned for the 200-block of Cook Street will now include 18 rental apartments, half of which will be available at 10% below market value.

Developer Len Cole says that while demand for condos in Cook Street Village is incredibly strong, the market needs more rentals, particularly units at below market rents.

"Cook Street Village has traditionally been a highly sought after residential area, and throughout the development process we've been committed to ensuring that purpose-built rentals were a component of the building. And now I'm happy to confirm that not only will we supply nine homes available at 10% below market rents, we're doubling the rental capacity to 18-units," Cole said. [Full article]

To write council in-support of this project, please see: http://www.victoria.... email&referer=

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#524 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:45 PM

I have to say, it looks pretty good in that image. The top floor has been distinguished, the ground floor looks decent. There's a lot to like about it. I feel much more positive about it after seeing that angle.

Is it just me or are some development controversies in Victoria running on auto-pilot these days? I've noted before how opposition tends to be generic while support tends to be specific, but when it comes to CSV projects and the Pandora/Vancouver project in particular it seems like the uproar is wildly out of step with the actual proposals. This is the foul dragon that righteous Fairfielders must rise up and slay? Seriously?

Too bad about the people on the grass who seem to have fallen but can't get up.

post-3-0-09610000-1468015703.jpg

Edited by aastra, 08 July 2016 - 03:46 PM.

• Nparker, sebberry and AndrewReeve like this

#525 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:54 PM

Those people are at the outside waiting area until their number comes up for service at the Village Hardware store.

Too bad about the people on the grass who seem to have fallen but can't get up.

post-3-0-09610000-1468015703.jpg

#526 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:21 PM

...Is it just me or are some development controversies in Victoria running on auto-pilot these days? I've noted before how opposition tends to be generic while support tends to be specific, but when it comes to CSV projects and the Pandora/Vancouver project in particular it seems like the uproar is wildly out of step with the actual proposals...

It's not just you. Automatic opposition and some sort of knee-jerk "the sky is falling" and/or "won't somebody please think of the children" response is expected for any and all development in the CoV. Sadly, I think it is a result of the influence neighbourhood associations have been allowed to have in this city.

#527 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:26 PM

Yeah, but I mean lately and with regard to these small-but-high-quality projects in particular. Northern Junk is another one.

For purposes of comparison, there wasn't much kerfuffle at all about the Legato tower on Yates.

Edited by aastra, 08 July 2016 - 04:28 PM.

#528 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:05 PM

This afternoon Mr. Sid Tafler was on CFAX discussing the project and why he's opposed to it. I was on briefly during that segment and reiterated how the proposal falls well within the new OCP, something Victorians worked hard on to draft, revise, revise some more, then finally adopt.

After my piece Mr. Tafler made a few comments (OK, more-so assumptions and references to red herrings). The host, Mr. Mark Brennae, did not take kindly to Mr. Tafler's criticism of the size of the units and the assumptions he made about who would and wouldn't be a suitable tenant. He called Mr. Tafler out, then immediately ended the segment.

The sense I'm getting is the public at-large is frustrated with the manipulation and the misleading tactics of the group of individuals in opposition. The Village isn't in ideal shape (Subway has closed and now the bank is closing, both due to low walk-by traffic, apparently) meanwhile the opposition to bringing more people into the Village is in conflict with what it needs.

I would encourage everyone to write council and express their feelings about the OCP and how this project relates to the OCP. We've spent far too many resources and far too much time on a plan to have it challenged over and over by individuals who take the public for uninformed automatons that can't think for themselves and must be scared into opposing something that will be a massive benefit to the community.
  • Nparker and AndrewReeve like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#529 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:48 PM

I didn't know subway has closed thats sad. Booster juice is next I'd wager

#530 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 12:08 PM

This is looking pretty good.

212-220-Cook-Street-July-08-2016b.jpg

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#531 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:15 PM

First hardware store ever that will have cafe-style seating outside. And I like how aisle 7 extends diagonally into the store from the corner entrance.

• Rob Randall and Nparker like this

#532 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:17 PM

With so many better food options right there, maybe we shouldn't be surprised about Subway's fate.

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#533 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:46 AM

Or that of RBC. Fairfield is probably prime territory for a VanCity branch or a specialty ice cream store instead of chain stores. The mix with the culture of the neighbourhood was no longer right.
"I know nothing"

#534 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:45 AM

The sense I'm getting is the public at-large is frustrated with the manipulation and the misleading tactics of the group of individuals in opposition. The Village isn't in ideal shape (Subway has closed and now the bank is closing, both due to low walk-by traffic, apparently) meanwhile the opposition to bringing more people into the Village is in conflict with what it needs.

I would encourage everyone to write council and express their feelings about the OCP and how this project relates to the OCP. We've spent far too many resources and far too much time on a plan to have it challenged over and over by individuals who take the public for uninformed automatons that can't think for themselves and must be scared into opposing something that will be a massive benefit to the community.

Due to the way these deals are structured, subway closing is quite an damning event. Needless to say this suggest fairly poor economic health of the village. 

@Aastra, typically leases are backstopped not only the franchisee but also the parent company in these deals. Hence Subway is typically able to survive in high lease rate environments with low sales, despite the franchisee not being able to survive. Thus failure of subway due to "competition" is not as likely as lease rates are way too high for terrible volume, this is something a mom and pop wouldn't be able to survive either. 

#535 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:00 AM

Yeah I don't think its that subway and rbc are too mainstream. Hip neighborhoods are allowed to have chains as well as localavore farm to fork micro brewery raw sustainable credit union non-gmo dispensaries
  • Layne French likes this

#536 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:16 AM

I'm certainly dismayed that the bank is closing. It always seems busy when I go in there and it has been our local branch for 35 years.

Carry on.... :)

#537 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:28 AM

Rainbird has been put up for sale and if it doesn't sell I'm not sure it will remain open.

The bank's closure is a huge blow. This means they they've hit capacity and likely can't draw enough new business to remain sustainable.

We should also keep in mind that there is a concerted opposition effort towards a development on Burdett. More info: http://victoria.citi...burdett-avenue/

It is imperative that we write council in regards to this project and the OCP. The Mason Street proposal may have been one where many of the community members were unhappy with a change in their neighbourhood, but in the instance of CSV we have much more of an old guard drumming up the opposition, and they'll use any tactic, even fear mongering and a bending of the truth, to get the reaction they need from unsuspecting community members.

Know it all.

#538 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:42 AM

Thus failure of subway due to "competition" is not as likely as lease rates are way too high for terrible volume, this is something a mom and pop wouldn't be able to survive either.

Okay, so when do we expect the lease rates for these spaces to come back down to reality?

#539 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:44 AM

More competition would be a good place to start. If you're the only landlord with space available in a retail environment, even if that environment isn't ideal, you'll still be able to charge a high rent.

I have often wondered about Serious Coffee and its ability to remain in that space. It's got to be an expensive unit and there are two direct competitors -- plus every eatery serves coffee -- within a 200 meter walk.

Know it all.

#540 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:59 AM

Okay, so when do we expect the lease rates for these spaces to come back down to reality?

When crippling property taxes go down?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)