Photo

Victoria gas prices | Victoria utility prices

• Please log in to reply
2164 replies to this topic

#1661 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 11:37 AM

I have a vague feeling a wankel is like the old Mazda rotaries--no pistons, just a weird Spirograph thing spinning around.

• sebberry likes this

#1662 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:00 PM

Willing to bet - without them looking it up online - that there are maybe a couple dozen people on this forum "tops" that know what a Wankel engine actually is, lol.....

certain mazda owners from the 80's would know...but how many of them are on this forum?

#1663 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,603 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:06 PM

certain mazda owners from the 80's would know...but how many of them are on this forum?

My point was not to highlight a lack of knowledge with respect to the average VV poster but to highlight that certain members (Sparky, myself etc.,) are, um....'old'(er). They are still manufactured today for go-karts for example, and it wasn't just Mazda owners but also certain models of Audi's and Mercedes as well as motorcycles like older Norton's.

• Mike K. and Sparky like this

#1664 Fox

Fox
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:27 PM

Willing to bet - without them looking it up online - that there are maybe a couple dozen people on this forum "tops" that know what a Wankel engine actually is, lol.....

I own one, have rebuilt many of them and have three or four friends all with them... I would agree with you.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#1665 Fox

Fox
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:31 PM

Careful. 91 still uses ethanol when you dig deep and uncover what they mix it with.

For your car that’s fine, as it’s used up quickly. But you’re slowly damaging your small motors even with 91 and especially if you use stored fuel. I know it sounds hokey, and I know it seems like a fuss, but this alone will keep your machines in tip top shape (plus additive; always use it).

Cheaper and easier to use Marked Midgrade from the Coop.  89 oct, no corn juice, no road tax.

As of December 20, 2015, Peninsula Co-op petroleum sites will have the following ethanol contents:

• Regular Gasoline (87 octane) 10% ethanol, known as E10.
  • Mid-Grade Gasoline (89 octane) 5% ethanol, known as E5.
  • Premium Gasoline (91 octane) will not contain ethanol.
  • Marked Mid-grade Gasoline (89 octane) and Diesel will not contain ethanol.

I have a vague feeling a wankel is like the old Mazda rotaries--no pistons, just a weird Spirograph thing spinning around.

Two doritos on a bent stick. :D

Edited by Fox, 28 September 2020 - 12:32 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#1666 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:42 PM

Cheaper and easier to use Marked Midgrade from the Coop. 89 oct, no corn juice, no road tax.

Even better!

Is it guaranteed ethanol free at all stations when you buy the marked fuel?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1667 Fox

Fox
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 01:31 PM

Even better!

Is it guaranteed ethanol free at all stations when you buy the marked fuel?

According to their website, yes.  They also have stickers on the pumps themselves.  I have been using it for years without issues in all my small motors.

#1668 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 01:38 PM

That’s so much appreciated, Fox! I just ran out yesterday and need to fill up a couple of tanks.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1669 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 September 2020 - 01:54 PM

My point was not to highlight a lack of knowledge with respect to the average VV poster but to highlight that certain members (Sparky, myself etc.,) are, um....'old'(er). They are still manufactured today for go-karts for example, and it wasn't just Mazda owners but also certain models of Audi's and Mercedes as well as motorcycles like older Norton's.

Who you callin' old? :D  I'm a millennial, I'll have you know!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1670 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:41 PM

I had a Mazda with the Wankel, burned oil like SOB.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1671 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:45 PM

Well, hey! My 91 octane is from Coop so I guess I am ethanol free :).

Wasn't aware of the marked gas. I'll trek out to Wilkinson rd. next time i fill up the jerrycan

Edited by lanforod, 28 September 2020 - 07:48 PM.

#1672 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:52 PM

I was reading about Kurt Vonnegut--he bought a small town SAAB dealership to support his writing career. In those days, SAAB engines were two stroke so you had to pour a can of oil into the fuel tank every gas fill-up. If you left the car sit too long the oil would separate from the gas and when you started the car you'd smoke out the town.

#1673 Fox

Fox
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 06:31 AM

I had a Mazda with the Wankel, burned oil like SOB.

Yes, they have a sacrificial oiling system.  A small pump takes oil from the sump and injects it into the combustion chambers/intake.  This oil lubricates the rotor housings and apex seals of each rotor point, as they can't lubricate like a piston engine would.

Two stroke oil would have been a better idea, but Mazda didn't think people wanted to have two places to put oil, so they used the engine oil.  

• Mike K. and LJ like this

#1674 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 07:17 AM

Judging by some of the personas on VV, I believe that I can safely say that at least a couple of posters here likely experienced the first engine designated a 'rotary' when they were new technology.

And I'm not talking about some Wankel...

• Matt R. likes this

#1675 Fox

Fox
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:25 AM

Found out today that the cinderblock structure they have been building at the Esso on Quadra is a hydrogen plant/pump.  First hydrogen pumps on the island.  I though this was quite interesting.

#1676 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 09:26 AM

Oh yeah!

You can read more about that here: https://victoria.cit...ng-to-victoria/

Know it all.

#1677 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 08:58 PM

Gas at $1.27, managed to fill up at Costco for $1.15 plus 2% cash back.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1678 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 09:34 PM

Wow, so glad we filled up with sheikh juice the day before.

• sebberry likes this

#1679 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 January 2021 - 09:43 PM

Gas at $1.27, managed to fill up at Costco for $1.15 plus 2% cash back.

Oh crap, what's it been lately?  I just close my eyes and squeeze the 91 into my tank and say no to the receipt.  

• Matt R. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#1680 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 January 2021 - 09:45 PM

Oh yeah!

You can read more about that here: https://victoria.cit...ng-to-victoria/

I think they're about 15 years late to the party.  How many hydrogen models can you buy today?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users