Photo

Victoria Police Chief Frank Elsner Investigated for inappropriate Twitter exchanges with wife of officer

• Please log in to reply
1327 replies to this topic

#861 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,019 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:32 AM

It's not about "Smart" or "Not Smart".......it's about seeing or not seeing.  Anyhow, as I said.....I clearly have nothing else to add to the topic since nobody wants to hear it. That's OK with me. It's just one of many topics.

Other than suggesting a conspiracy you haven't added anything to hear. 

• Bingo, sdwright.vic and lanforod like this

#862 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:02 PM

I am less concerned by details of exactly what happened than of how the Police Board and local politicians handled it, how much money they spent and why, were any operational funds used in a way that wasn't appropriate and so on. Good info to have ahead of local election.
  • Mike K., VicHockeyFan, jonny and 2 others like this

#863 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,019 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:01 AM

I am less concerned by details of exactly what happened than of how the Police Board and local politicians handled it, how much money they spent and why, were any operational funds used in a way that wasn't appropriate and so on. Good info to have ahead of local election.

Unfortunately I doubt that we will ever get a full reckoning of this. Helps and Desjardins will no doubt blame the police board for any decisions that were made and that is assuming that Elsner even has his hearings completed by October.

#864 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:02 AM

Unfortunately I doubt that we will ever get a full reckoning of this. Helps and Desjardins will no doubt blame the police board for any decisions that were made and that is assuming that Elsner even has his hearings completed by October.

Helps and Desjardins are head of the police board, so I would say the final call on what eventually took place regarding Elsner's  FULLY PAID VACATION for over a year at tax payers expense was green lighted by them personally. They get to make the final decisions on the board.

#865 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,019 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:09 AM

Helps and Desjardins are head of the police board, so I would say the final call on what eventually took place regarding Elsner's  FULLY PAID VACATION for over a year at tax payers expense was green lighted by them personally. They get to make the final decisions on the board.

You and I know that, but the sound bite that Helps has used in the past is that the full board made the decisions.

Reading the various documents and the letter written to Helps by one of the board members, it appears as though there may have been decisions that helps and/or Desjardins made that were never discussed with the board. I don't think that will ever be fully disclosed either.

Edited by spanky123, 26 January 2018 - 10:11 AM.

• Star Dust likes this

#866 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:58 AM

You and I know that, but the sound bite that Helps has used in the past is that the full board made the decisions.

Reading the various documents and the letter written to Helps by one of the board members, it appears as though there may have been decisions that helps and/or Desjardins made that were never discussed with the board. I don't think that will ever be fully disclosed either.

Ahh.......The Corruption of municipal politics, Gotta love it eh?

#867 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:48 PM

Are we talking municipal politics regarding the Police Board, or about the Sewage Treatment and Bridge debacles, or is it about bike lanes, bus lanes, swimming pools and other crumbling infrastucture?

#868 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:16 PM

And what about the allegation that police operational funds might have been used for a communications consultant- was that ever addressed?

#869 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 517 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:08 PM

And what about the allegation that police operational funds might have been used for a communications consultant- was that ever addressed?

Not sure about any of that, but I remember the consultant was Kathi Springer. Springer donated to Lisa Helps 2011 campaign via a numbered company. The total paid for consulting was over $70,000.  

#870 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:18 PM

Not sure about any of that, but I remember the consultant was Kathi Springer. Springer donated to Lisa Helps 2011 campaign via a numbered company. The total paid for consulting was over $70,000.

Was that 70k just to advise on communications on the Elsner case?

#871 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,165 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:14 PM

Looks like Elsner is going to have to face some more music. More proceedings to come.

#872 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:28 AM

With all the news about Vic PD cuts, does anyone have any thoughts as to how the Elsner mess has impacted VicPD funding - the legal costs, rumours that funding went to support communications for the police board or whatever?

#873 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:12 AM

https://www.canlii.o...018bcca147.html

I haven't read this yet, but here's the case by Elsner against the  OPCC.

#874 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 April 2018 - 06:20 PM

The PCC was making decisions based on the bungling and inaccurate information being provided to them (him) by Helps and Desjardins, so it's no surprise that Elsners appeal will be heard.

#875 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,019 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 06:56 PM

The PCC was making decisions based on the bungling and inaccurate information being provided to them (him) by Helps and Desjardins, so it's no surprise that Elsners appeal will be heard.

The appeal has been allowed. Hinkson had his decision overturned. All 3 judges agreed with the decision stating that Hinkson erred in his standard of review. The original investigation against Elsner is allowed to proceed.

Not too much new in the decision other than the extent to which Helps and Desjardins tried to get the charges against Elsner quashed. 

Edited by spanky123, 01 May 2018 - 06:18 AM.

#876 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:36 AM

This case seems to have dropped off the radar over the past few months - any news?

#877 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:44 AM

I suspect we won't hear anything more until after the election. 

#878 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:30 AM

That's a real shame, as voters likely deserve to know what went on and get answers to the questions around the two mayors' actions, in advance of the upcoming election.
  • Love the rock likes this

#879 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:30 PM

This case seems to have dropped off the radar over the past few months - any news?

This and more in the current edition of Focus.

The OPCC’s public-trust investigation was completed in 2017. Legal maneuvers by Elsner (at City taxpayers’ expense) have prevented release of the report, but in April 2018 the BC Court of Appeal ruled that Lowe’s action to remove the mayors as the disciplinary authority and conduct a public-trust investigation had been a reasonable interpretation of the Police Act. Now it’s time for voters to make their ruling on the mayors’ conduct.

http://www.focusonvi...f-victoria-r14/

#880 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 10:38 AM

Rob Shaw is tweeting about a police complaint commissioner report on the Elsner matter, which looks like it may not paint a favourable picture of the Victoria and Esquimalt mayors...
  • Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users