Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre (SOFMC)

• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#101 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:19 PM

They can ban food and drinks from coming in. They can ban alcohol from coming in. They can ban recording devices. So they clearly have the right to ban many very legal things. Banning smokes is well within their power as far as I can tell.

The campaigning in WalMart et al - on what basis do they have the right to ban someone from exercising free speech?

#102 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:38 PM

They can ban food and drinks from coming in. They can ban alcohol from coming in. They can ban recording devices. So they clearly have the right to ban many very legal things. Banning smokes is well within their power as far as I can tell.

The campaigning in WalMart et al - on what basis do they have the right to ban someone from exercising free speech?

Well technically I don't think they can...BUT they can have people removed for Loitering...which I've seen done a time or two in Alberta...On top of that all...WalMart is on private property, owned by Morguard Investments or whomever owns the property in the Westshore...whereas the Arena is public property with a private contractor running the arena per the construction agreement...

#103 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:46 PM

I THINK ALL THOSE ARE REASONABLE BANS ON THE GROUNDS THAT EVERYTHING THERE IS ON REASON, LIKELY TO BE BROUGHT IN FOR USE DURING THE SHOW whoops caps lock. I don't think it's reasonable to let a guy in with a bottle of wine, claiming he was on his way home to James Bay with a bottle of wine, then he came upon a concert, and decided to go to it. But people definately do want to smoke before and after a show, and lots of people walk to shows.

#104 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 September 2008 - 04:34 PM

So why should I not be allowed to bring my own brews for a game at the arena? I am paying for the right to see the game, but why should I have to pay a premium for beer that I do not want to drink?

Of how about food - they do not provide food I want to eat but I can not bring in my own?

When I pay for a ticket to see a show, I only want to agree to a contract that relates to me being able to see a show, but their side of the contract means I have agreed to them being allowed to seize my food, booze and smokes.

#105 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:23 PM

The BCCLU has weighed in with a PR to Canwest and CBC - http://www.canada.co...10-d57d77ee4012

The arguments indicated have been discussed in this forum, and could make some interesting legal rulings - if it makes it to court. Illegal search (which Victoria seems to tolerate in so many ways - take Canada Day etc.), denial of possession of legal material whether it is cigarettes, recorders, cameras, or how about lighters? and the right of assembly.

I truly believe that any public space, or arena that is either entirely publicly owned, or assisted in development by public money, cannot dictate, outside of law, its own regulations. Will they ban cell phones, or breast feeding (as that might upset certain groups)

#106 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 05:55 PM

National women's hockey team prepares to take on arch-rival U.S.
By Cleve Dheensaw, Times Colonist
October 4, 2009 4:54 PM

http://www.timescolo...3927/story.html

Hayley Wickenheiser arrives at Victoria International airport Saturday with fellow Canadian women's hockey team members.Photograph by: Adrian Lam, Times ColonistCanada and the U.S. are practically guaranteed to win medals for women’s ice hockey in the Winter Olympics — the only question every four years is who gets the gold and who the silver.

[...]

I can't get too excited about women's hockey. But I hope they have a nice crowd, sounds like they might.

#107 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:40 PM

On the Street: Ali Baba wins arena spot
By Darron Kloster, Times Colonist October 22, 2009
http://www.timescolo...1550/story.html
Ali Baba Pizza has elbowed its way into Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre, signing a two-year deal to supply pies for hungry hockey fans at Victoria Salmon Kings games.[...]

#108 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:40 AM

Cirque is coming in September 2010.

#109 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:57 AM

WHL vs. Russian All-Stars tonight at the rink.

It is either a sell out, or very, very close.

You can watch it on TV tonight, 7pm LIVE on 23 (Rogers Sportsnet Pacific).

#110 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:29 PM

WHL vs. Russian All-Stars tonight at the rink.

It is either a sell out, or very, very close.

I'm going, and I'm pretty stoked! *SQUEEEEEEEE!*

I've completely given up on the NHL, but I adore the World Juniors and watch that tournament religiously. I cry like a baby whenever I see the Canadian kids win that thing. My Christmas holidays aren't over until the final game is played!

#111 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:05 PM

The show on Monday was very lightly attended (AFI with Tegan aND sARA).

The Salmon Kings have the lowest attendance since they started playing at SOFMC (currently about 3850 average, 12th in the 22-team league).

Looks like Motley Crue will be a sell-out, George Thorogood is not selling well.

I called Select Your Tickets a few weeks ago, enquired about gift cards/certificates. They have none. Really? Gift cards are loved by retailers, because some don't get used, or don't get used completely, or get used a long time after you have the cash in hand. Why would they not have them? Tickemaster has had them for years. They cost next to nothing to produce, all the card processing companies make them.

#112 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 06:56 AM

The Salmon Kings have the lowest attendance since they started playing at SOFMC (currently about 3850 average, 12th in the 22-team league).

Attendance woes hit Salmon Kings

By Cleve Dheensaw, Times ColonistDecember 24, 2009

http://www.timescolo...7570/story.html

The difference couldn't be more striking: During last year's nasty winter, impressive crowds braved the snow and below-freezing temperatures to take in

[...]

#113 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:28 AM

I called Select Your Tickets a few weeks ago, enquired about gift cards/certificates. They have none.

Holiday Packs are available which have tickets that can be used for any game this season. The padded seats are not available this way though. :mad:

#114 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:37 AM

Good point, VHF. I should be able to call the arena and get a card so that a friend can go see any show in the new year.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#115 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 10:08 AM

Holiday Packs are available which have tickets that can be used for any game this season. The padded seats are not available this way though. :mad:

YES, for hockey games. But why not SYT cards, for any arena event? Even if you can't make them work with online orders (although TicketMaster ones do), you can have them work like any debit card at the box office window.

#116 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:08 PM

YES, for hockey games. But why not SYT cards, for any arena event? Even if you can't make them work with online orders (although TicketMaster ones do), you can have them work like any debit card at the box office window.

That might be hard to have venue specific gift certificates. People would think they're entitled to front-of-the-line tickets, when in reality they have to scramble when tickets go on sale with everyone else. And the certificate couldn't guarantee tickets for an event that sells out.

EDIT: Actually, I think they would work fine like the card you describe, but I'm just worried about the amount of people who would find reason to complain.

#117 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:57 PM

[...]

This is a huge suprise given how well the economy is doing according to the MSM.

#118 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:03 PM

EDIT: Actually, I think they would work fine like the card you describe, but I'm just worried about the amount of people who would find reason to complain.

People should not look a gift(card-giving)horse in the mouth.

I have a buddy that has a company on the side of his regular line of work. It might do $150k/yr in sales. He has cards that not only have his company logo in the background with a cool picture he chose, but they are specific to Cactus Club, and I think it cost him a $100 set up fee and he can now order an unlimited number of cards. He uses them at Christmas as a thank-you to some of his clients, sales people, and sub-contractors etc. The POS system just treats it like a debit card, but it does not require a password, and indeed it can only be used at Cactus Club. So it's just like any gift-card.

#119 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:53 AM

Watch very carefully, right at the beginning. Check out the guy in the Hartford Whalers jersey (green) about three rows up. He throws the coffee cup down onto the Alaska penalty box.

fWfgtpZanuU

#120 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:18 PM

For safety and security purposes, the wearing of shoes with heels embedded in the soles is prohibited in the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre.

http://www.sofmc.com...y/arenapolicies

:confused: :D

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users