Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre (SOFMC)

• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#81 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 06:55 PM

There were zero bikes in them during the big dodgeball tournament, although there were probably 50 bikes locked up in front of the arena that day.

No bikes there last night either for the big Ska-Fest wrap-up at the curling club. And it seems no one from the police station uses them, maybe they have bike parking in their underground lot. Actually, I've probably walked by the thing 40 times since they were installed, and I've yet to see a bike in them.

There is no signage at all.

#82 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:57 PM

I don't know but that those racks don't look like they were designed by a Vogon or some other equally unpleasant species... :-/
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#83 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:53 PM

No more smoking outside of SOFMC:

http://www.saveonfoo...rialcentre.com/

ATTENTION GUESTS

Due to recent Provincial Health Bylaw changes, outdoor smoking areas will be eliminated as of Sept 15, 2008 during events at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre.

Once you have entered the building, you will not be able to exit and then re-enter.

We appreciate, and thank you for your understanding.

Doesn't have any effect on me, but it will discourage some, I would think.

GM Place making same move: Effective September 15, 2008, the previously designated outdoor smoking areas will no longer exist (main public gates, smoking terrace on L200). Guests will be able to smoke prior to entering the building at a distance greater than six meters from any door / openable window / air intake.

http://www.generalmo...t-services-faqs

#84 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:20 PM

And now a step further:

Finally effective December 1, 2008 cigarettes will not be allowed in the
facility period. If they are found on a patron they will be
confiscated.

Dear Valued Season Ticket Holder,

I wanted to inform you about the changes the Save-On-Foods
Memorial Centre is making regarding our smoking policies. We are proud
to announce that effective September 15th, 2008 new smoking regulations
will be put in place that will move the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre to
the forefront of smoke free environments.

The negative impact of smoking and second-hand smoke is well known. In
conjunction with General Motors Place, British Columbia's premiere event
centres are making a bold statement in regards to the acceptability of
smoking.

The new regulations will be phased in over the next few months, but
effective immediately Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre staff and their
designates will enforce a no smoking policy on any property controlled
by the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre.

Further, smoking area access previously supplied by the Save-On-Foods
Memorial Centre will no longer be made available. In addition to these areas, in-and-out
privileges during events are also being eliminated.

confiscated.

These policies far exceed any regulations set down by the province of
municipalities. The Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre and RG Properties
believe by taking these steps it will help to lead the community towards
a smoke free society.

For further information, please see the official press release here.

If you have any questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate
to call or email me.

We appreciate your continued support and thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

Devin Mazur
Ticket Sales Manager
Victoria Salmon Kings

#85 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:35 PM

And now a step further:

confiscated.

Unbelievable.

Is that even legal? Call a lawyer, someone...

I'm not a smoker, but this is just nuts.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#86 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:40 PM

I took the liberty of writing their next press release, due out tomorrow:

Dear Valued Season Ticket Holder,

I wanted to inform you about the changes the Save-On-Foods
Memorial Centre is making regarding our vehicle policies. We are proud
to announce that effective September 15th, 2008 new vehicle regulations
will be put in place that will move the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre to
the forefront of pollution-free environments.
The negative impact of driving a vehicle, with respects to global warming and air pollution, is well known. In
conjunction with General Motors Place, British Columbia's premiere event
centres are making a bold statement in regards to the acceptability of driving a personal vehicle.
The new regulations will be phased in over the next few months, but
effective immediately Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre staff and their
designates will enforce a no driving policy on any property controlled
by the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre.
Further, anyone seen driving, then attending an event at the Save-On-Foods
Memorial Centre will no longer be permitted entry.
Finally effective December 1, 2008 car keys will not be allowed in the
confiscated.
These policies far exceed any regulations set down by the province or
municipalities. The Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre and RG Properties
believe by taking these steps it will help to lead the community towards
a car-free society.
For further information, please see the official press release here.
If you have any questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate
to call or email me.
We appreciate your continued support and thank you for your cooperation.
Sincerely,
Devin Mazur
Ticket Sales Manager
Victoria Salmon Kings

#87 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:47 PM

Holy Smokes.
(will we be able to use that expression in SOFMC?)

Smoker = terrorist

#88 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:14 PM

VFH - you should post that to the TC and other papers for an OP ED. Well done. I truly hope the BCCLU can find a hard legal argument to counter this - if SOFC is banning smoking on property then I want all perfumes, hairspray, deodourant and food banned as well (along with cars).

If they are going to save my family from second hand smoke, then they have the responsibility to prevent ALL allergic reactions from any product.

Stupid, stupid, stupid

#89 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:26 AM

CFAX:

M-P QUESTIONS EXPANDED ARENA SMOKE BAN

Sep 5, 2008

ONE LOCAL MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT HAS SOME DOUBTS ABOUT THE NEW ANTI-SMOKING POLICY AT VICTORIA'S DOWNTOWN ARENA.

SAVE-ON FOODS MEMORIAL CENTRE MANAGEMENT HAS ANNOUNCED IT WILL ELIMINATE OUTDOOR SMOKING AREAS ANYWHERE ON ITS PROPERTY EFFECTIVE MID SEPTMBER, AND IT WILL BAN POSSESSION OF TOBACCO IN THE ARENA ON DECEMBER 1ST.

LIBERAL M-P KEITH MARTIN SAYS BOTH MEASURES ARE EXCESSIVE.

MARTIN IS A MEDICAL DOCTOR BY PROFESSION...HE WAS ON THE C-FAX1070 "NEWSLINE" THIS MORNING

- fms

#90 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:45 AM

Prince George:

Smokers will still be able to light up outside CN Centre
Written by Citizen staff
Friday, 05 September 2008

So-called in-and-out privileges may have been banned for smokers at General Motors Place in Vancouver and Memorial Centre in Victoria, but CN Centre won't be following in their footsteps.
Asked about the possibility Friday, CN Centre manager Glen Mikkelsen responded with a firm "no."
He said smokers will still be able to light up outside although not within within three metres (10 feet) of a doorway, open window or air intake as required under provincial regulations.
The bans at GM Place and Memorial Centre come into effect on Sept. 15. And effective Dec. 31, patrons of Memorial Centre will also be subject to random searches for tobacco and smugglers will have their cigarettes confiscated the same way drugs and alcohol would be.
Victoria's arena was in compliance with B.C. law and had set up four outdoor smoking areas. However, arena staff found policing the in-and-out privileges, as well as the smoking areas, to be a logistical nightmare.
Memorial Centre management hope that by banning tobacco products fewer smokers will try to light up inside and out.
Mikkelsen said the occasional problem with someone trying to light up inside CN Centre does flare up, particularly at rock concerts, "but for the most part, people are really good about it."
- with files from Canadian Press

#91 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:00 PM

The confiscation is legal because they can decide by policy what you are allowed to bring on site. As an example, I am not allowed to bring outside food.

#92 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:42 PM

The confiscation is legal because they can decide by policy what you are allowed to bring on site. As an example, I am not allowed to bring outside food.

I really would think its a fine line...they sell food and beverages within the confines of the arena, hence the no outside food and drink policy, they do not sell tobacco related products, nor are tobacco related products allowed to be consumed inside the arena for years...I think this latest step really is starting to encroach on civil liberties and I really hope a group steps forward with legal action against the Arena, its bullshit...I'm not a regular smoker, only cigars out on the boat, or at the pub or off camping but there is no one in hell I can support this kinda action.

#93 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:49 PM

Why the ban something is not the issue, the simple fact is that they do have the power.

I think there is a strong civil liberties case to be made about the rights of the public on private property when you are invited to come on to it.

1) Why are you not allowed to campaign for election in a WalMart or any mall?
2) Why should anyone be allowed to stop you from carrying anything you want into any location?
3) Is not advertising an implicit granting of access to the property without restrictions?

On one level local government interferes with private property rights to silly extent (tree bylaws are my favorite one to point to), but we do not allow people basic fundamental charter rights on private property.

#94 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:05 PM

Why the ban something is not the issue, the simple fact is that they do have the power.

I think there is a strong civil liberties case to be made about the rights of the public on private property when you are invited to come on to it.

2) Why should anyone be allowed to stop you from carrying anything you want into any location?
3) Is not advertising an implicit granting of access to the property without restrictions?

On one level local government interferes with private property rights to silly extent (tree bylaws are my favorite one to point to), but we do not allow people basic fundamental charter rights on private property.

Let's take one step back here. This arena is public property, it belongs to the City of Victoria. RG is simply the contracted operator.

#95 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:22 PM

But what is the legal agreement between the two? Has the city granted RG properties the full rights as if they owned the land for the purposes of operating the building?

I wonder what would happen if someone were to campaign for municipal office with a rally at the arena?

#96 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:25 PM

But what is the legal agreement between the two? Has the city granted RG properties the full rights as if they owned the land for the purposes of operating the building?

I wonder what would happen if someone were to campaign for municipal office with a rally at the arena?

I guess I don't know what the legal difference is between, say, space in the front courtyard of the arena, and a downtown sidewalk.

#97 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:44 PM

On its website, the Times Colonist says it's working on a followup story for tomorrow's paper. Let's hope they answer this important question. What would happen if RG decided that it wouldn't let Christians/ environmentalists/ labour unions/ etc. use the arena because its management considered such groups to be as offensive as tobacco?

#98 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:01 PM

That then goes back to that great library use case of the past.....

#99 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:11 PM

Well first off, that arena is public property as VHF has mentioned, my family's tax dollars go to paying for that venue (I guess not really mine anymore because I'm in the Westshore...)...Until Tobacco is an illegal substance you cannot restrict someone from carrying a pack of smokes in their pocket or purse, the difference between campaigning for an election at Wal Mart and carrying you're smokes with you into an arena are two different stories. Campaigning for an election in front of Walmart is implying that Walmart supports a particular candidate, which obviously they don't want to get into on the street level (like most big corporations they'll have made political) contributions where they see fit...Next thing you know they'll start banning chewing gum and carry packages of gum because its difficult to clean, while I understand the idea of banning smoking on a property it has obvious health benefits, what I do not agree with is banning a person's right to carry a perfectly legal substance, perhaps they should be cracking down on the pot heads who like to light up at concerts and ruin atmosphere's for families and those who prefer to remain drug free...

#100 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:18 PM

If they confiscate the cigarettes, can the owner retrieve them on the way out?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users