Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:57 PM

Tesla owners are horrible!

Jerk-face Tesla owner parks on stranger’s lawn, steals power for 12 hours

Edited by phx, 29 July 2019 - 07:58 PM.

#4222 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:28 PM

Stone Masons dragged an extension cord onto my property and plugged it onto my house to build a massive retaining wall for the development beside me.  After many days of unsuccessfully asking them not to feed multiple crews my power, I turned off the breaker to my outside receptacles.  That resulted in them coming down to my yard on their last day and using my hose to clean their cement equipment onto my patio.

I blame Tesla.

#4223 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:23 AM

Another minor Tesla crash, another ensuing inferno.

https://youtu.be/Qm9A1GBdW-c

Is that what happens when you switch “fart mode” (yes, that’s an actual setting) to high?

Meanwhile Nio saw lacklustre sales in July after the company revealed it engaged in a voluntary recall associated with its batteries.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4224 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:14 AM

Automakers may have completely overestimated how many people want electric cars

https://qz.com/15339...c-cars-by-2030/

David Keith, an engineer and professor at the MIT Sloan School of Management, says it’s possible the appeal of EVs won’t spread fast enough beyond “techies and greenies” who fueled the early days of the market. “Arguably, for most consumers in the US today, there’s not a problem that an EV solves for them,” says Keith. He predicted EVs could struggle to break 5% of the US market in the near future.

"Deloitte’s analysis points to two factors in accelerating BEV uptake: growing consumer demand for greener vehicles, coupled with government policies that offer financial incentives while placing inner-city restrictions for gasoline and diesel vehicles.While upfront purchasing costs of EVs remain the biggest barrier for consumers, the research reveals how, as technology improves, this and other consumer concerns will gradually ease over time. Deloitte predicts that by 2024, the cost to own a BEV will be on par with that of a petrol or diesel vehicle, which could boost demand further."

Michael Woodward, UK automotive partner at Deloitte, said:

“In 2018, we saw global EV sales surpass two million units for the first time; twice those sold in 2017. In the UK, the cost of petrol and diesel vehicle ownership will converge with electric over the next five years. Supported by existing government subsidies and technology advances, this tipping point could be reached as early as 2021. From this point, cost will no longer be a barrier to purchase, and owning an EV will become a realistic, viable option for new buyers.”

Oversupply

Especially interesting is however this notion of oversupply. Deloitte thinks that in about 10 years, we will see a big oversupply of EV, as there will be more production capacity than demand and too many manufacturers.

"A global oversupply of 14 million vehicles is expected as manufacturers’ investment in capacity outpaces demand by 2030."

Edited by rjag, 12 August 2019 - 09:15 AM.

#4225 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:21 AM

Walmart is suing Tesla over its rooftop solar panels that caused several fires: https://marketrealis...nel-fire-tesla/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4226 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 01:26 AM

the porsche taycan will be revealed this week.  they have over 30,000 deposits already.

https://www.carscoop...utive-launches/

500 km per charge.

https://www.engadget...ycan-ev-prices/

As Roy noted, though, the automaker uses "Turbo" for its most expensive options, and that's exactly what the Taycan Turbo is for this lineup. At $130,000, it will cost around $40,000 more than the other two models: the base Taycan will apparently be priced in the low $90,000s, while the 4s will have a price tag in the upper $90,000s. That puts their pricing in the same range as Tesla's more expensive Model S and X options, which doesn't come as a surprise since they're supposed to be a direct competitor to those vehicles.

porsche_taycan_050.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 September 2019 - 01:28 AM.

#4227 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 04:19 AM

here’s the Porsche details:

https://driving.ca/p...-porsche-taycan

#4228 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 03:58 AM

Motor Mouth: Will Porsche’s Taycan challenge Tesla’s EV hegemony?

Or are the brand’s fans just part of a cult that puts hero worship above good engineering?

It just debuted two days ago, but Porsche has already taken some 30,000 deposits for its new Taycan. Not exactly Tesla numbers, but impressive nonetheless. Closer to home, more than 1,000 Canadians have plunked down $2,500 hoping to secure one of the first electrified Porsche four-doors to hit the street. Again, neither number rivals the multitudes that offered up deposits on Tesla’s Model 3, but Taycan does play in an entirely different snack bracket.

https://driving.ca/p...las-ev-hegemony

this is probably the interesting part:

The problem is that said worship has gone too far, creating disciples for whom any dissent, any mention of competitive brands is seen as traitorous. In my 35 years in this biz, I have see nothing – not the Ford-versus-Chevy wars, not Jeep Wrangler aficionados, not even “one-per-centers” devoted to their Hogs – to match the cult-like allegiance Tesla enjoys amongst its minions.

Unfortunately, that deference is stifling competition. Despite the deception that traditional automakers are dragging their heels on electrification, nothing could be further from the truth. The problem they all face is that, any time they introduce a (costly-to-develop) EV, they are met with the mildest of “mehs.”

Initially, they were decried as too ugly (Chevy’s Bolt), too slow (the Kia Soul) or lacking in panache (pretty much everyone). But, then Jaguar came out with the I-Pace, offering both pedigree and panache. Yet they too were greeted with another giant yawn. Too slow, said the disciples, ignoring the fact there’s more to a sporty automobile than Ludicrous acceleration. So I-Pace sales have crashed. Audi’s e-tron? Better, but hardly all-conquering, especially considering that the Model X with which it competes is the weakest model in Tesla’s lineup.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 September 2019 - 04:02 AM.

#4229 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:27 PM

https://www.rt.com/n...cars-hypocrisy/

Norway’s electric car miracle is a smug national fraud built on subsidizing rich people with Teslas

I dont think this guy likes how EV's are being rolled out in Norway!

#4230 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 26 September 2019 - 02:17 PM

BC gov is offering rebates for Level 2 charging infrastructure through the CleanBC program. via https://www.cbc.ca/n...tions-1.5298750

Homeowners who install a Level 2 charging station — a 240-volt power source — in a single-family home, qualify for a $350 provincial rebate. A $2,000 rebate is available for those who install a Level 2 charging station designed for multiple users in apartments, condos and workplaces.

• rjag likes this

#4231 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 04:03 AM

I think marko might be right. home charging won’t even be a thing in a few years. even rural property owners that probably could don’t generally install their own bulk gasoline storage for their cars.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 September 2019 - 04:05 AM.

#4232 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 September 2019 - 06:53 AM

BC gov is offering rebates for Level 2 charging infrastructure through the CleanBC program. via https://www.cbc.ca/n...tions-1.5298750

To qualify for new rebates, documentation must be submitted by March 31, 2020

A $2,000 rebate is available for those who install a Level 2 charging station designed for multiple users in apartments, condos and workplaces.

That's a 6 month window. It'd take my strata 6 months just to agree on the colour of the charger, 6 to figure out where to put it and another 6 to agree on how it should be funded.
  • GaryRanson likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4233 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 07:20 AM

In the previous strata offering in order to collect the (larger) rebate you'd be required to install one charger but run the electrical for 6. Just saying 'shared' and reducing the cost is a bonus.

If you own a house, it is a quick process to get a quote for installation, particularly since many newer homes has the electrical panel in/near the garage.

Since the fund depletes rapidly, stratas really need to be proactive. Get some quotes. Pass a resolution at the AGM for a maximum expenditure and timeframe. Wait for a rebate announcement (or come in under the budget).

I don't find our strata to be the least bit interested. They already warn people about plugging their vehicles into a wall outlet in the parkade, without any idea of how much/little that option costs. If you want to at least appear electric car friendly for improved sale values, mark a visitor parking stall next to a wall outlet as an EV stall. Monitor the costs.

#4234 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 07:26 AM

I might do it just because with the idea that we will have an EV in our driveway in the next few years....but its also a good selling feature and if I'm already subsidising it then why not.

#4235 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 September 2019 - 08:04 AM

I don't find our strata to be the least bit interested. They already warn people about plugging their vehicles into a wall outlet in the parkade, without any idea of how much/little that option costs. If you want to at least appear electric car friendly for improved sale values, mark a visitor parking stall next to a wall outlet as an EV stall. Monitor the costs.

I live in a building where "the more restrictions we have, the better our resale" is the prevailing thinking.

I wonder how Stratas with limited charging stations deal with capacity - who gets to charge up when?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4236 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 07:55 AM

I think marko might be right. home charging won’t even be a thing in a few years. even rural property owners that probably could don’t generally install their own bulk gasoline storage for their cars.

here's details of the petro-canada system.  they expect to be coast-to-coast by the end of the year.

https://bc.ctvnews.c...tions-1.4596270

from petrocan website:  https://www.petro-ca...SUtqP1i25fD_BwE

Petroleum giant Petro-Canada is finishing work installing electric vehicle charging stations at select stations across the country.

Nanaimo will be the first city in British Columbia where people can pass by the pumps and charge up at a gas station.

In an effort to continue serving drivers who are shifting away from traditional gas-powered vehicles, Suncor-owned Petro-Canada is building a network of EV charging stations from coast to coast.

A Suncor media spokesperson said the Level 3 fast-charging stations are scheduled to be operating in Nanaimo by the end of September.

Another Petro-Canada station, located in the so-called “gasoline alley” in Merritt, will be powering up its chargers shortly after that.

“We really wanted people to be able to drive across the country," spokesperson Nicole Fisher said.

The most easterly station is located at Stewiacke, Nova Scotia, where it recently activated its chargers.

The charging stations are being situated about 250 kilometres apart from each other, to accommodate the range of most electric vehicles. The project is scheduled to be completed by the end of the year.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 October 2019 - 07:56 AM.

#4237 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 08:12 AM

here's details of the petro-canada system.  they expect to be coast-to-coast by the end of the year.

Is there any word what these would cost to charge at?

#4238 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 08:17 AM

Is there any word what these would cost to charge at?

free this fall but nothing i've yet read except they will "charge by time" after that.  imagine a time when we see the price for unleaded gas on the big gas station signs plus the cost for an electric charge.  i imagine they will be able to sell all kinds of inclusive plans too ie. monthly or yearly unlimited etc. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 October 2019 - 08:17 AM.

#4239 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 09:09 AM

Petro-Can will yield millions of dollars in media exposure, social media coverage and goodwill for the brand in the near-term, and all for a relatively modest investment to hook up a few dozen chargers across the country.

It's not a bad strategy. But TBH, hanging around a gas station for 20 minutes is not a particularly good use of anyone's time.

• rjag likes this

Know it all.

#4240 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 09:33 AM

i'm not so sure.  these retailers make more money selling junk food than gas so you get a customer there for 20 minutes you can sell them gourmet coffee and more.  arm the kiosk with wifi too and you can just watch an episode of "the office" in your car while you charge up and sip your coffee.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 October 2019 - 09:35 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users