Photo

Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11554 replies to this topic

#4941 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 09:00 PM

Jaguar is going all electric vehicles by 2025.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4942 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 February 2021 - 08:42 AM

Jaguar is going all electric vehicles by 2025.

I am sure they are. The I-Pace has been a total flop. They can't even move them with 20k off MSRP.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#4943 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 11:12 AM

Is the I-Pace problem-ridden Marko, or was it just poor marketing?

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#4944 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,528 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 12:54 PM

Dude! It's a Jaguar. Of course it's problem-ridden. Jag's have one of the worst quality ratings of any automobile on the road today.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4945 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 12:56 PM

Dude! It's a Jaguar. Of course it's problem-ridden. Jag's have one of the worst quality ratings of any automobile on the road today.

Although the car has been reviewed well.

#4946 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 February 2021 - 02:14 PM

I-pace very well reviewed and has been reliable. The problem is Tesla. Model Y is cheaper, faster, better ranger, better tech, supercharging network and with more and more Teslas on the road with over 200-300k it is proven. I've had near zero issues @ 200,000. Someone would have to come out with a pretty awesome product for me to switch.
  • Mike K. and Hotel Mike like this

#4947 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,984 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 08:42 AM

what do you guys make of the Fisker Ocean?

https://www.nasdaq.c...pace-2021-02-18

Fisker’s 250-mile to 300-mile range Ocean SUV will begin production in the fourth quarter of 2022. As I said before, it offers a premium, unique design that is also sustainable. The company’s mobile application will cover ordering, insuring and maintaining the vehicle. The Ocean EV model will also include a certain degree of semi-automated driving functionality.

All those things make Fisker’s EV model stand out. But at $37,499, the Ocean also has advantages in terms of price. If you decide to buy the vehicle, you will qualify for the Federal Electric Car Tax Credit (which can be as much as $7,500), potentially pushing the price down to about $30,000. But you can also lease the car, starting at $379 per month with a $2,999 down-payment.

Like I also mentioned earlier, Magna International will be responsible for the production side of things. This is not Magna’s first go-around — it has produced the Toyota Supra, Mercedes-Benz G-Class and the Jaguar I-Pace, among others. That asset-light model will help.

Magna will get warrants of up to 6% of Fisker’s equity as part of its deal with the company. Even if you don’t like the company on fundamentals, you must admit that FSR stock is doing well. Shares are up over 1o% in just the last three months. So, a potential 6% stake is undoubtedly valuable.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 February 2021 - 08:50 AM.

#4948 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:52 PM

Audi RS E Tron GT:

Starting price $179k. Ouch.

2022-audi-rs-e-tron-gt-116-1612889631.jpg

• rjag likes this

#4949 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 04:05 PM

what do you guys make of the Fisker Ocean?

https://www.nasdaq.c...pace-2021-02-18

Fisker’s 250-mile to 300-mile range Ocean SUV will begin production in the fourth quarter of 2022. As I said before, it offers a premium, unique design that is also sustainable. The company’s mobile application will cover ordering, insuring and maintaining the vehicle. The Ocean EV model will also include a certain degree of semi-automated driving functionality.

All those things make Fisker’s EV model stand out. But at $37,499, the Ocean also has advantages in terms of price. If you decide to buy the vehicle, you will qualify for the Federal Electric Car Tax Credit (which can be as much as $7,500), potentially pushing the price down to about $30,000. But you can also lease the car, starting at $379 per month with a $2,999 down-payment.

Like I also mentioned earlier, Magna International will be responsible for the production side of things. This is not Magna’s first go-around — it has produced the Toyota Supra, Mercedes-Benz G-Class and the Jaguar I-Pace, among others. That asset-light model will help.

Magna will get warrants of up to 6% of Fisker’s equity as part of its deal with the company. Even if you don’t like the company on fundamentals, you must admit that FSR stock is doing well. Shares are up over 1o% in just the last three months. So, a potential 6% stake is undoubtedly valuable.

As Marko stated, Tesla and a LOT of other established car companies have electric options now. I think the offering would have to be really compelling to get me to try a new brand and deal with the hassles of version 1. Fisker especially has had a checkered past. Lucid and a few others are trying to go really high end on performance but the market is only so large for $100K USD+ cars. Even less so when the tech bubble bursts again!

#4950 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,984 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 01:40 PM

Electric vehicles are selling in record numbers in British Columbia.

The provincial government says more than 54,000 light-duty electric vehicles were registered in B.C. last year.

Energy Minister Bruce Ralston says that's the highest reported uptake rate of electric vehicles in North America, making the province a leader in the industry.

https://www.timescol...ions-1.24303885

articles like that with no context are quite useless.  how many cars total were sold in BC?  what were previous sales levels for electrics?

we have about 14% of the national population and there are about 2M car sales per year.

sounds like we sell 280,000 a year.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 April 2021 - 01:43 PM.

#4951 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 April 2021 - 02:17 PM

Still a lot cheaper to gas up my car than to finance an electric car.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4952 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 06 April 2021 - 05:38 PM

EV’s in BC are about 4% of the fleet. That’s after a decade of taxpayer subsidies.
  • sebberry likes this

#4953 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 06:46 PM

EV’s in BC are about 4% of the fleet. That’s after a decade of taxpayer subsidies.

damn EV subsidies...i mean, next thing you know in order to keep the cost of gasoline and i.c.e. cars down  oil companies and the automotive industry are going to start asking for handouts too ;-)

https://www.huffingt...5b67259f8943314

#4954 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:38 PM

That number is about to explode in next 5 years subsidies or not. I recently bought an ICE car as a spare and while fun like owing a horse, crap it is like going back to the stone ages after 6 years with an electric. 200,000 km and still on the original brake pads. There is so little maintenance I need to book a safety inspection as the last time, other than tires, anyone looked at the car was at 130,000 km. Cost savings is one thing but the time savings of not having to drop it off at a dealership for oil changes and other BS is even better.

#4955 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 10:36 PM

https://www.vw.ca/en...hicles/id4.html

#4956 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 05:16 AM

The Bolt EUV looks good to me. I'm considering trading in our 2nd car for one in a year or so.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4957 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:08 PM

That number is about to explode in next 5 years subsidies or not. I recently bought an ICE car as a spare and while fun like owing a horse, crap it is like going back to the stone ages after 6 years with an electric. 200,000 km and still on the original brake pads. There is so little maintenance I need to book a safety inspection as the last time, other than tires, anyone looked at the car was at 130,000 km. Cost savings is one thing but the time savings of not having to drop it off at a dealership for oil changes and other BS is even better.

My dealership comes and picks up my car, gives me a loaner to use, and doesn't charge for the service.

#4958 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:10 PM

^and you pay for that level of service whether you realize it or not

#4959 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 09:23 PM

Right, that was to spur demand while EVs were new and companies started bringing them to market. They've matured a lot in that decade as technology has improved, and are much easier to own for mainstream buyers. If you believe that cutting emissions is important and you want to do that in the framework of individual car ownership, then subsidies make a ton of sense.

Edited by qv, 08 April 2021 - 09:23 PM.

#4960 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:00 PM

The BOE report

https://boereport.co...-hot-dog-stand/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users