Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11437 replies to this topic

#5281 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 10:57 AM

Most drivers will never use that full acceleration. frankly it hurts you.

I don’t think it’s a serious issue.

I'd be careful making such a bet. It's a massive selling feature. Every single time a fresh occupant gets in, they floor it.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5282 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,335 posts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 11:00 AM

everyone has floored their car a few times. you do it then get over it. it’s not comfortable.

#5283 punk cannonballer

punk cannonballer
  • 239 posts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 11:02 AM

Most, sure, but not all. I think back to what I would have done as an 18 year old if my parents got one, and what my friends did with their parents' cars. My buddy 4-wheel-drifted his dad's new 300zx right into that curb coming off Ring Rd onto Henderson in Grade 12. Yes there are parental controls and no, not everyone will use them. It may not be a huge issue, but it will be an issue.

#5284 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 11:07 AM

Last night a teenager crashed his Mustang into a hydro pole, a shed, a fence, and knocked out power to an entire neighbourhood on the West Shore. Thanks to Lady Luck he didn't collide with an oncoming vehicle when he veered acros the road, or strike a pedestrian, or hurt someone on the property he found himself wedged into.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5285 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 September 2021 - 11:24 AM

My brother is a car guy, has a Model 3 Performance and a Porsche GT4. I've spent time in both. The GT4's acceleration, in comparison to the Model 3, reduces it to a nice little modestly-powered sports car. The Model 3's acceleration hurts your brain; not only because of the speed but the linear nature of the speed. The G forces off the line are mind-scrambling. Nobody needs three seconds to 100kmh. I cannot imagine wanting to put my foot down in a Plaid Model S and there should be governors for urban areas. No way are you or the car going to be able to react in time should something jump out anywhere within 100m of your hood. You're doing 100 mph by the time you realize what's happening.

I have a 2015 Model S and 2021 Porsche 718 4.0 GTS 6 speed. Having the 4.0L is like having a horse. It is fun but the 6 year old 200,000km+ Tesla is soooo soooo much better at everything else from not having to deal with a dealership to purchase to not having to service it to everything else inbetween. 

• Mike K. likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#5286 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,335 posts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 11:26 AM

Last night a teenager crashed his Mustang into a hydro pole, a shed, a fence, and knocked out power to an entire neighbourhood on the West Shore. Thanks to Lady Luck he didn't collide with an oncoming vehicle when he veered acros the road, or strike a pedestrian, or hurt someone on the property he found himself wedged into.

Teenagers have been doing this forever. Luckily cars are now safer than ever in crashes.
  • Mike K. likes this

#5287 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 September 2021 - 11:36 AM

I have a 2015 Model S and 2021 Porsche 718 4.0 GTS 6 speed. Having the 4.0L is like having a horse. It is fun but the 6 year old 200,000km+ Tesla is soooo soooo much better at everything else from not having to deal with a dealership to purchase to not having to service it to everything else inbetween. 

You're still taking a bit of a gamble though with electric cars.  Our Leaf at work needed a new inverter or something.  It was out of commission for weeks for a $20k warranty repair.  Fortunately covered under warranty but if it was out of warranty, you've eliminated a substantial portion of your savings.  Bad battery module in your Tesla? 20k+ for a new pack as they don't change individual modules.   Chevy Bolt?  Park it in the middle of a field somewhere so it doesn't burn anything near it to the ground.

• Mike K. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5288 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,335 posts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 11:41 AM

early days my friend. you would have probably stayed with your horse all through 1905 to 1920.
  • qv likes this

#5289 punk cannonballer

punk cannonballer
  • 239 posts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 11:43 AM

Teenagers have been doing this forever. Luckily cars are now safer than ever in crashes.

Consumer cars have never had the acceleration of a top fuel dragster, though.

#5290 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,335 posts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 11:47 AM

Does acceleration cause a lot of crashes? or speed even? I think it’s usually intersections. and inattention. and people misjudging oncoming speeds in making left turns across traffic. Teslas make short work of those types of turns.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 September 2021 - 11:48 AM.

#5291 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 12:19 PM

Does acceleration cause a lot of crashes? or speed even? I think it’s usually intersections. and inattention. and people misjudging oncoming speeds in making left turns across traffic. Teslas make short work of those types of turns.

Ok boomer. You know you can just go to Youtube for this sort of stuff.  :cop:

• todd likes this

Know it all.

#5292 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 September 2021 - 08:46 PM

You're still taking a bit of a gamble though with electric cars. Our Leaf at work needed a new inverter or something. It was out of commission for weeks for a $20k warranty repair. Fortunately covered under warranty but if it was out of warranty, you've eliminated a substantial portion of your savings. Bad battery module in your Tesla? 20k+ for a new pack as they don't change individual modules. Chevy Bolt? Park it in the middle of a field somewhere so it doesn't burn anything near it to the ground.

My Model S has an 8 year unlimited mile battery/motor warranty. I am dumping it at 7.5 years but I'll have 300,000km on it by then.

#5293 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 09:21 PM

I think your purchase with the perks Tesla extended to you was one of the smartest vehicle investments I’ve ever heard of.

Know it all.

#5294 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 September 2021 - 09:35 AM

Buying an electric car instead of gas is like the rent vs buy debate.  People can spend more renting than on a mortgage because there's no stress test for renting.  One might be spending as much on gas + maintenance as the monthly finance payment on an electric car, but not everyone can qualify for an electric car loan.    And you still need a place to plug it in.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#5295 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 September 2021 - 09:44 AM

I think your purchase with the perks Tesla extended to you was one of the smartest vehicle investments I’ve ever heard of.

Other than I paid 110k in 2015 and now you can get a Tesla with better technology for less than half the price. 

#5296 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 September 2021 - 09:53 AM

Buying an electric car instead of gas is like the rent vs buy debate.  People can spend more renting than on a mortgage because there's no stress test for renting.  One might be spending as much on gas + maintenance as the monthly finance payment on an electric car, but not everyone can qualify for an electric car loan.    And you still need a place to plug it in.

When you compare apples to apples....i.e. Model 3 vs BMW 3 series, Audi A4, Mercedes C-Class etc. it really isn't much of a comparison. I recently drove a friends new BMW 3 series and it was disappointing. Obviously Civic vs Model 3 is a different story when it comes to economics. 

As far as charging when I bought my Tesla in 2015 at home was the only place I could charge and that was fine. Since then supercharger has been added at Uptown and now I also have a charger at my office so I have three options, but I could easily live off just one. Not to mention the Model S I have had 380 km of range brand new and the new Model S is over 600 km so there is less of a need to reguarly charge. 

The Tesla has by FAR been the most reliable/least maintenance car I've every had and I had two Civics before the Tesla so I am not really sure what the risk is. People will bring up the occassional batter failure and pretend like transmissions/engines/etc., never fail in ICE cars. 

• lanforod likes this

#5297 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 September 2021 - 10:43 AM

I don't know, it's still $700 a month to finance a Model 3 after 8k down and you're rolling the dice on whether it shows up with lined up body panels :D  And it still doesn't have an AM radio.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#5298 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 07:28 PM

And you still need a place to plug it in.

Do you really? I don't have a gas station at home and I can go fill up in 5 minutes or so. If they build enough of the DC superchargers and attach them to a coffee shop or shopping mall I would have no problem buying an electric vehicle and waiting the 20 minutes to get 85% charged,

We are not there yet but I think we soon will be.

• punk cannonballer likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5299 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 September 2021 - 01:10 PM

Stop trying to convince Seb. He's a diehard ICE guy who will still be driving a stick 4 cylinder in 10 years. Some folks just don't like change.

#5300 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 01 October 2021 - 07:00 AM

Motor Mouth: The (fantastical) numbers behind an all-electric future | Driving

Motor Mouth: The (fantastical) numbers behind an all-electric future

Interesting article. For me the takeaway is the inability for infrastructure to deal with surge demand. Like that picture of the long lineup Teslas in Hope this summer and the hours long wait.

For urban and suburban its likely not an issue, but doing the run from the interior takes a bit more planning and likely more patience.

Marko, if you get bored of the GTS (I dont know how you could but....), I may have a lead on someone who may assume your lease. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users