[Fairfield] Mount Edwards Court | Low Barrier Housing

• Please log in to reply
427 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:35 AM

Does not need a rezoning, Low barrier housing is still just "residential". Any support services they require is covered under the allowable use of nursing.

To go around saying at-risk/low income people are a different kind of "allowable-use" is ridiculous

There will be no Public Hearing

The only way this gets held up is if they can't get financial support

It's not zoned as "residential" it's zoned as hospital.

I think it's very clear it requires rezoning, and hopefully a lawyer is hired by the opposition group or the school to point that out to the City, and apply for an injunction if it goes that far.  Then a court will decide.  

No other Cool Aid housing like this this is in this type of zoning.

This will not go through.  Cool Aid can not be allowed to destroy this area of the City.

• Baro, Nparker and pennymurphy2000 like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:40 AM

Hire a lawyer for what end purpose?  So people can go Bosa hearing on this for a couple of nights and waste everyone's time when it's clear that Lisa and Ben want this done?  What magical oratory will change their mind?  The only thing that stops this is Cool Aid not finding the purchase money and/or the reno money.

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:45 AM

Hire a lawyer for what end purpose?  

The lawyer should be hired to make a court decide that a rezoning is required.  To give clarity.  Unless of course the City agrees right off the bat, but Helps' comments do not indicate that is at least her stance.

And then so we can simply have a public hearing.  Like we do for any rezoning.  So people can go all Bosa, or all however they want.  Why should anyone be afraid of a public hearing?

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:47 AM

What magical oratory will change their mind?  

May I draw your attention to the Topaz Park protest/informal hearing?  Minds were changed.

Certain councillors have strong support in Fairfield/Gonzales.  There are swing votes on council, Madoff, Lucas and Coleman, and even Alto.  Add Young, who is already opposed I'm sure, and that's a 5-4 defeat. 

• kingcollar likes this

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:56 AM

Look, the Cool Aid housing places have long lists (50 to 75) of "banned" people.  These people are generally not allowed to visit guests in their suites.  They have been banned for past bad behaviour, or drug dealing.  But as my friend that works at Cool Aid tells me, they are allowed to buzz up to their friends from the lobby, and summon them down.  And these banned people all "hang around in the immediate neighbourhood" of every one of Cool Aid's housing developments.  Is that what we want all around the perimeter of the elementary school?

• Nparker, MacBooger and pennymurphy2000 like this

#26 attica

attica
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:58 AM

I think it's very clear it requires rezoning, and hopefully a lawyer is hired by the opposition group or the school to point that out to the City, and apply for an injunction if it goes that far.  Then a court will decide.  

This will not go through.  Cool Aid can not be allowed to destroy this area of the City.

Now your just making stuff up...

It is Zoned R-K medium density ...(which allows nursing facilities, but is primarily a residential zoning)

http://www.victoria..../Bylaws/2.3.pdf

• Rob Randall likes this

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:05 AM

Now your just making stuff up...

It is Zoned R-K medium density ...(which allows nursing facilities, but is primarily a residential zoning)

http://www.victoria..../Bylaws/2.3.pdf

I don't think that's the right zoning you've cited.

Carrying on, where do you think all the outdoor dealing and using will happen when this place shows up?  After school hours it'll happen all over the nooks and crannies the school property provides.  At the very least, the school will need to install tall perimeter fences and close off the parking lots with gates.  More likely they will have to do some of that, as well as hire an all-night security guard.

screenshot-www.google.ca 2016-01-27 08-58-20.png

Can all you doubters please just go to Rock Bay Landing or Queens Manor one night at 10pm?  Or "cheque day" at any time, and just watch the neighbourhood.  It's a jungle.  Now multiple what you see by 1.5 or 2x, based on the size of this thing.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#28 attica

attica
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:10 AM

To follow up, other such services are sometimes classified as "transient accommodations". But per the Schedule A definitions for city of Vic:

"the use of land or a building for the temporary accommodation of visitors, and without limitation includes hotels, motels, vacation rentals and bed and breakfast accommodation"

These are often used in SRO situations, but the Mount Saint Edwards is clearly designed as a long term housing solution

#29 attica

attica
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:11 AM

I don't think that's the right zoning you've cited.

Carrying on, where do you think all the outdoor dealing and using will happen when this place shows up?  After school hours it'll happen all over the nooks and crannies the school property provides.  At the very least, the school will need to install tall perimeter fences and close off the parking lots with gates.  More likely they will have to do some of that, as well as hire an all-night security guard.

Can all you doubters please just go to Rock Bay Landing or Queens Manor one night at 10pm?  Or cheque day at any time, and just watch the neighbourhood.  It's a jungle.  Now multiple what you see by 1.5 or 2x, based on the size of this thing.

Umm.. yes I did, Its pulled directly from the City of Victoria's zoning map

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:14 AM

Umm.. yes I did, Its pulled directly from the City of Victoria's zoning map

If it was so clear, the City would have already said it.  They have not.  They know it's at best, a bit murky.

#31 attica

attica
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:18 AM

If it was so clear, the City would have already said it.  They have not.  They know it's at best, a bit murky.

I guarantee you CoolAid staff have sat down with City of Victoria Planners on several occasions already, that is how this process works 

Don't you see the irony is rallying so hard for density and new projects, and calling all the naysayers NIMBYers etc, but when it comes to a use YOU don't like, all of a sudden this is a planning catastrophe

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:23 AM

Don't you see the irony is rallying so hard for density and new projects, and calling all the naysayers NIMBYers etc, but when it comes to a use YOU don't like, all of a sudden this is a planning catastrophe

I've never rallied for huge ghetto housing, that's true.  I've made many, many other proposals for homeless housing, and most of it starts with rent subsidies and dispersed 6-plexes.  And none of it ends with hiring more babysitters and feeding the multi-million dollar Our Place and Cool Aid homeless racket.

I like private enterprise, I dislike government involvement where not necessary, everyone knows my attitudes there.

So no, I do not think it's ironic that I'd oppose this, and support condos.

Run through my 30-thousand posts and see if I've ever used the term "NIMBY".  I think you'll come up empty.

Look, why not a land swap of sorts?  Sell this property, and use the funds to build another Rock Bay Landing.  Why wreck another part of the City?

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:25 AM

Where in the region do you live, attica?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#34 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:27 AM

I have a niece in that school.  The last thing I want is for this to go right there.  I have a pretty good idea of how much of a s-show it will be, and I think if it does go there the school will go under.

But, I don't think a nasty NIMBY vs. pro-homeless public hearing will change a single thing.  There are several councillors who initially supported a tent city in a major park.  They're clearly ready to go all-in for this.  I don't think the opposition will be strong enough to stop it, by any means.  I can only hope the money doesn't come through.

#35 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:28 AM

I'll repeat, the zoning in place is solid because of the open-ended definition of what is a hospital.

But I am concerned about the lack of an outdoor containment area and the problem of parasites and other hangers on causing more trouble than the residents. 

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:29 AM

I've made many, many other proposals for homeless housing

I suggested the now-empty Baptist housing complex on Johnson, for example.

• Nparker likes this

#37 attica

attica
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:34 AM

Look, why not a land swap of sorts?  Sell this property, and use the funds to build another Rock Bay Landing.  Why wreck another part of the City?

They don'w own it...they are in the process of buying it, how can you do a land swap? if that was the case they would just outright try and purchase in Rock Bay

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:38 AM

They don'w own it...they are in the process of buying it, how can you do a land swap? if that was the case they would just outright try and purchase in Rock Bay

Well, some media has suggest that the current owner has offered it a substantial discount off list price.  So they can sell it at that low price still, then Cool Aid can flip it, so to speak.

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:39 AM

Roughly what part of town do you live in attica?

BTW, I live miles away.

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:40 AM

But I am concerned about the lack of an outdoor containment area and the problem of parasites and other hangers on causing more trouble than the residents. 

It's a major issue.  This will be the best place to sell and use street drugs, in the entire city.  And the school ground, church and park provides all the perfect cover.  

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users