Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 08 November 2022 - 01:35 PM

Not how I see it.

Canada Al is never not ready.

So, Canada Al Ready.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#982 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 08 November 2022 - 03:02 PM

Mike, would you say the curbside booth seating:

a) obstructs the view
b) does not obstruct the view
c) both
d) neither

If you choose a, b, c,  or d, or if you choose some combination of a, b, c, or d, then my question remains: why would it be a negative to have a lowrise & visually permeable structure at street level somewhere on the west side of Wharf Street?

Wharf_Street_curbside_seating_booth.jpg

#983 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 08 November 2022 - 03:06 PM

Not sure about the curbside booth seating, but that bus certainly blocks the view. We need more clear buses with invisible passengers.

• aastra likes this

#984 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 08 November 2022 - 03:43 PM

I find it offensive just thinking of those stupid things. Please don’t make me sincerely discuss any aspect of them.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#985 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 08 November 2022 - 03:50 PM

I find it offensive just thinking of those stupid things. Please don’t make me sincerely discuss any aspect of them.

Do I detect some receptivity? For the first time in this thread I feel like you might be loosening up a bit.

#986 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 08 November 2022 - 03:51 PM

We need more clear buses with invisible passengers.

Now there's a lucid and penetrating observation. You have a knack for seeing right through people.

• Nparker likes this

#987 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 08 November 2022 - 03:52 PM

“Sit down, have a drink.”

I know where you’re going with this.

Know it all.

#988 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 09:38 PM

New post up that I am sure will be much more controversial around here than the harbour parking lots, three new films I just tried out. Have a read and tell Aastra and Mike why they are wrong. 

https://www.sidewalk...ic-film-electra

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#989 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 11:49 AM

New post up on my recent trip to Vancouver BC and how what i saw relates back to Victoria. Have a read and let me know what you think!

https://www.sidewalk...as-light-photos

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#990 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 01:28 PM

Haven’t you done enough harm already? Now you’re going to compare us to Vancouver, the Toronto Lite of western Canada*, or western Canada’s lil’ TO, as the 30-year-old kids say?

*Toronto Lite is Chicago, but actually Toronto is Chicago Smalls

Know it all.

#991 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 11:05 PM

Nice read, thank you!

We moved our son over in august, where he and his roommate lucked out and are renting a brand new suite a block off QE park, and we’ve been over a few times since then to visit and crash at his place.

The Oakridge redevelopment is really something to see. A dozen cranes? More? I love this whole area around Main Street, and you are right about the transit, we don’t even bother bringing a car over anymore unless Ikea is on the list. What transit can’t accommodate, Uber can.

We booked in to VanDusen garden tonight for the Christmas light display. Sure is lovely, and they are adept at separating you from the cash in your wallet. At least a dozen options for food, half a dozen hot chocolate outlets, plus the regular brick and mortar food services on site.

I am looking forward to more visits to this area in the next few years.

#992 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 08:21 AM

Yes, the disconnect between how advanced we think we are, and what we actually are, is quite something.

While we get caught up in little turf wars between the core and the West Shore and think placemaking is the answer to solving our problems, Metro Vancouver focuses on getting the job done. And they have to, their impact on the province matters. What we do or don’t do in Victoria has very little impact beyond our region. But instead of focusing on ourselves to better ourselves, we quibble about how people are forced to move to Langford, or how big pick-up trucks must be stopped from entering downtown.

You have to start with the basic things and get them figured out. Like focusing on infrastructure expansion, not road dieting your way into thinking you’re bettering the situation, because you’re not, you’re making it harder for us to function and obstructing the flow of goods and services, and consumers.

Public transit investments rely on municipalities, too, for things like bus shelters and the sidewalks to get to them. But unless you’re very lucky, your bus ride starts with you waiting on (hopefully) a sidewalk in the rain, after walking 20 minutes hoping not to miss the once an hour or (if lucky) every 30 minute run, which may or may not show up on NextRide because the system is unreliable. And you’re not even in the sticks, you’re just 10km beyond downtown in an established neighbourhood.

Could you imagine if we stopped the us vs them tug of wars between municipalities and focused on improving municipal relationships, like legitimately streamlining everything from policing to infrastructure to housing supply to jobs?

Know it all.

#993 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 08:24 AM

Victoria lacks leaders. In politics or business. Zero leaders.
  • Nparker and Barrrister like this

#994 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 08:31 AM

We had a leader, and after he delivered housing for 30,000 people, commercial services for the whole south Island, and found ways to increase investment for the whole region, voters turfed him.

Know it all.

#995 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 08:35 AM

He was complacent.

10-minute council meetings doesn’t cut it.

#996 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 08:40 AM

After 30 years it’ll happen.

I suspect, the issue he had, was he couldn’t find a successor that rose through the ranks and learned the ropes.

We don’t realize what we’ve lost yet. Are we going to expect Saanich to pick up where Langford left off?

Know it all.

#997 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 09:05 AM

^ No.

#998 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 09:06 AM

No. Housing starts will slow region-wide. It’ll all work out though.

#999 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 09:14 AM

So what lesson can Vancouver teach us?

“You shouldn’t have let Housing Twitter derail your breadbasket of housing?”

Know it all.

#1000 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 December 2022 - 03:46 PM

Vancouver has its own turf war issues. Don’t think they don’t.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)