[Marine] V2V Vacations | Victoria-Vancouver catamaran service

• Please log in to reply
832 replies to this topic

#41 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:59 PM

I guess the real question is will Clipper's upcoming Vancouver run come in at a similar rate or whether they'll attempt to undercut them in the early phases of their roll-out?

Considering the distance, the time and the quality of the service, $120 is actually reasonable. It's certainly more or less the same price as a trip to Seattle via the Clipper.

Thay only thing that puts me off their service is the return trip must be the next day and must be at 8AM. That's a bit of a deal breaker for me. Clipper would be smart to stave off their departure to 11AM, if not noon.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#42 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,219 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:10 PM

...Considering the distance, the time and the quality of the service, $120 is actually reasonable. It's certainly more or less the same price as a trip to Seattle via the Clipper...

Not quite. The one-way fare on V2V will be $120

...The V2V Empress will offer three levels of on board seating starting at $120 one-way for Premium Comfort...

http://www.iheartrad...ouver-1.2407976

The Clipper's low season return fare is only $95 (USD) or about $125 CDN
fares.JPG

In fact, for not too much more than the cost of one return trip on V2V you can have a return trip AND an overnight stay including hotel in Seattle

package.JPG

• Mike K. likes this

#43 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:19 PM

If V2V really wanted to treat their passengers they'd have an on board "medical" marijuana dispensary. No license or prescription required! I mean it's a 3.5 hour trip; that's a long time to go between "treatments".

Not sure Transport Canada would approve.

• Nparker likes this

#44 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:22 PM

I really like the idea of harbor-to-harbor ferry service. As has been said it's a little longer than the Clipper to Seattle, but also as noted is rather pricier. I dunno, at $80 one way it just might have been viable for me, but at $120 I'm likely to try it once for the novelty and then go back to the plodding old BC Ferries.

• Nparker likes this

#45 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:29 PM

Downtown Victoria to downtown Vancouver by Greyhound is $35 and is 20 minutes shorter a trip than V2V (if you factor in having to arrive 45 minutes early at V2V)

Edited by spanky123, 16 February 2017 - 03:29 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#46 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,219 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:30 PM

Not sure Transport Canada would approve.

Federal laws do not apply to the sale of marijuana in parts of BC.

#47 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:01 PM

Federal laws do not apply to the sale of marijuana in parts of BC.

You drank the syrup didn't you.

• Nparker likes this

#48 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,219 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:02 PM

You drank the syrup didn't you.

Not even a drop.

• todd likes this

#49 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:19 PM

Downtown Victoria to downtown Vancouver by Greyhound is $35 and is 20 minutes shorter a trip than V2V (if you factor in having to arrive 45 minutes early at V2V)

Greyhound does not run this route.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#50 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,219 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:46 PM

Greyhound does not run this route.

True. It's Wilson's Transportation and their return fare is $131.16.

bus.JPG

Which is probably why I take the city busses and Skytrain if I need to get from downtown-downtown.

• Matt R. and 57WestHills like this

#51 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:53 PM

It's a complex fare structure:

+ BC Ferries Fares + tax:

Wilson's Transportation

download (60).png

download (61).png

BRITISH COLUMBIA SENIORS (BC SENIORS)

BC Seniors pay 50% of the current adult ferry fare Monday through Thursday, excluding BC Statutory Holidays. BC Seniors do not pay the fuel surcharge Monday through Thursday, except stat holidays.  Please present your BC Services Card, BC License or residency card at time of purchase. Reservations for BC Seniors travelling with us between Monday through Thursday (excluding holidays) cannot be booked online.  Please call us at 1-888-788-8840. As of April 2014 payment (TBA) will be required for travel on board BC Ferries.

http://bcfconnector.com/

http://bcfconnector....el-information/

Edited by todd, 16 February 2017 - 05:15 PM.

#52 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:23 PM

It's a complex fare structure:

As bad as BC liquor laws.

#53 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 262 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:57 PM

How viable will this be? YYJ-YVR flights one way generally hover in the ~$120+ range, and the travel time is about a third of what this new V2V service is offering. I suppose people without transportation to/from the airport or who live in the downtown core might be interested in this, but not sure I can justify spending $120 for a 3.5 hour boat ride, when BC Ferries is $16 (walk on) for 1.5 hours and just as scenic. 

#54 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:59 PM

Group sales. Hopefully viable. Very experienced company. Unlike the previous attempts.

#55 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:02 PM

How viable will this be? YYJ-YVR flights one way generally hover in the ~$120+ range, and the travel time is about a third of what this new V2V service is offering. I suppose people without transportation to/from the airport or who live in the downtown core might be interested in this, but not sure I can justify spending $120 for a 3.5 hour boat ride, when BC Ferries is $16 (walk on) for 1.5 hours and just as scenic. 

Prince of Whales just bought a brand new 92-seat $3.5M boat exclusively for this route.  They see potential.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#56 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:03 PM

Group sales. Hopefully viable. Very experienced company. Unlike the previous attempts.

And past attempts were BEFORE THE INTERNET.   Advertising was "harder" back then.

#57 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:49 PM

but not sure I can justify spending $120 for a 3.5 hour boat ride, when BC Ferries is $16 (walk on) for 1.5 hours and just as scenic. 

"Cruise Ship"

https://v2vvacations.com/

Edited by todd, 16 February 2017 - 06:57 PM.

#58 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:54 PM

ROYAL CLASS ADULTS & CHILDREN $240

Available seats per voyage: 22

• You will be served a 3-course meal, and complimentary coffee, tea and water;
  • Complimentary seat selection;
  • Features the most luxurious leather and reclining seating onboard the premium deck of the V2V Empress;
  • Seats will be situated at premium locations of the ship featuring premium ocean views;
  • Personal power ports to charge up all your devices;
  • Plush blanket available on request
  •  
  • https://v2vvacations.com/cruise/class

Edited by todd, 16 February 2017 - 06:58 PM.

#59 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,676 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:18 PM

^could they use the word premium maybe just one more time? I don't think they have implied how premium the experience will be without at least one more.
  • Nparker and todd like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#60 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,219 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:21 PM

At $240 one-way, those beverages and seat cushions are hardly "complementary". BTW, will V2V guarantee those "premium ocean views" even when the weather is bad? 

This was a few years ago now, but at least once a year cruise lines offer these short, all-inclusive excursions on real cruise ships with real amenities.

...It was about the cheapest sailing available from Seattle: $99 per person, double occupancy, including most charges and all the desserts and entertainment that could be stuffed into a 15-hour journey...

http://www.seattleti...s-fun-and-food/

And compare this to what V2V is offering:

...Holland America offers the majority of two-night cruises embarking from Seattle, Washington. There are really only two options available to those who are looking for a two-night cruise. First, Holland offers itineraries from Seattle to Vancouver. This voyage is especially well-suited to those who want to include a little off-ship activity in their cruise experience...Holland also offers a small number of one-night cruises out of Seattle. Fares on the two-night itineraries start at around $160 per person for an inside stateroom. Suites generally start around $300 per person...

https://www.trails.c...washington.html

All of the these are being offered out of Seattle this year (starting as low as $79 USD!)

I guess what I am wondering, is who exactly does V2V hope to attract with these prices for what is essentially a water-based afternoon bus ride to Vancouver?

• Janion Fan likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users