Photo

[Marine] V2V Vacations | Victoria-Vancouver catamaran service

• Please log in to reply
834 replies to this topic

#761 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:18 PM

i think you would agree that the average individual from washington or oregon takes a ferry or takes the clipper less than an average bc resident takes bc ferries.

There is a heckuva lot of ferry traffic in and around Puget Sound. You're probably correct about Portland residents.

#762 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,034 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:19 PM

Are you talking about the same Washington state that operates the 4th largest ferry network in the world, one that serves more passengers annually than BC Ferries?

yes but they serve a whack of daily repeat commuters.  so don't count the washington residents that live west of seattle and use the ferry as those i say don't often use ferries.  that's less than 10% of the washington population that uses washington ferries annually.  20% or more of bc residents use bc ferries at least once annually.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 January 2020 - 03:21 PM.

#763 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:26 PM

But in terms of how much we marketed ourselves, engaged the community, I think we did a really good job there,” he said.

Like when we put those flyers under windshields. That was a good job. We put a lot of flyers on a lot of cars. We put them on straight and secure. They didn't fly away. And we folded them nice, sometimes people fold flyers crooked but ours were straight. We did a good job.

#764 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,034 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:29 PM

they had that radio jingle contest too.

#765 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,034 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:33 PM

Are you talking about the same Washington state that operates the 4th largest ferry network in the world, one that serves more passengers annually than BC Ferries?

well it's very close 24m to 22m.

but 1/3 of wa passengers walk on.  that's way higher than ours.  so you might even say some wa ferry passengers are very comfortable walking onto ferries so they like the clipper. bc residents are far more reluctant to walk onto a ferry to they fear the v2v.

#766 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:36 PM

yes but they serve a whack of daily repeat commuters.  so don't count the washington residents that live west of seattle and use the ferry as those i say don't often use ferries.  that's less than 10% of the washington population that uses washington ferries annually.  20% or more of bc residents use bc ferries at least once annually.

You can say the exact same thing about BC Ferries though. Outside of routes 1 and 2, it's pretty much all regulars. And even routes 1 and 2 have tons of regulars. A huge number of Metro Seattle residents use the ferries regularly to get to places like Bremerton and Whidbey Island. You can't just say that only those west of Seattle regularly use the ferries...that's like saying only those on the Gulf Islands regularly use the ferries.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#767 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:42 PM

well it's very close 24m to 22m.

but 1/3 of wa passengers walk on.  that's way higher than ours.  so you might even say some wa ferry passengers are very comfortable walking onto ferries so they like the clipper. bc residents are far more reluctant to walk onto a ferry to they fear the v2v.

Does BC Ferries separate walk-on data? Their reports only list total vehicle counts and total passenger counts, they don't split car passengers against walk-on passengers like WSDOT does.

#768 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:42 PM

Like when we put those flyers under windshields. That was a good job. We put a lot of flyers on a lot of cars. We put them on straight and secure. They didn't fly away. And we folded them nice, sometimes people fold flyers crooked but ours were straight. We did a good job.

That could almost be a Trump tweet!  :D

Edited by exc911ence, 08 January 2020 - 03:42 PM.

#769 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,034 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:46 PM

Does BC Ferries separate walk-on data? Their reports only list total vehicle counts and total passenger counts, they don't split car passengers against walk-on passengers like WSDOT does.

i think they do.  but i can also tell you just from what i see.  walk-ons are small on all routes.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 January 2020 - 03:46 PM.

#770 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:46 PM

No, if Trump were CEO of V2V it would sound like this:

Flyers. We put them on the windowsh--- [pause] The glass on the front of the cars. Windshields. I did the best job--straight--other guys, crooked, we did--the best, I can tell you. Other guys, Cipper, they put it on the windshield, whoosh, it blows away, people tell me. But our marketing. Tremendous. We did a good job.

• Nparker, Danma, lanforod and 3 others like this

#771 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:48 PM

i think they do.  but i can also tell you just from what i see.  walk-ons are small on all routes.

We must be looking at different ferries then because there's almost always a good crowd of walk-ons on pretty much any BC Ferries sailing I've ever taken.

#772 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,034 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:49 PM

We must be looking at different ferries then because there's almost always a good crowd of walk-ons on pretty much any BC Ferries sailing I've ever taken.

well it would need to be 700 on every full sailing to approach the 1/3 figure that wa has.   i've never seen 700 walk on.  maybe 200 250 even 300 tops.

#773 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:53 PM

There are often a LOT of walk ons on the main route, Swartz Bay to Tsawwassen. During peak periods (eg. holiday weekends) that can be >600 walk-ons.

• Nparker likes this

#774 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,034 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:54 PM

There are often a LOT of walk ons on the main route, Swartz Bay to Tsawwassen. During peak periods (eg. holiday weekends) that can be >600 walk-ons.

for sure.  but that will not bring it even close to the wa walk-on rate of 1/3 total.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 January 2020 - 03:55 PM.

#775 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:55 PM

Well, here are the terminals. If one of you has the time, count the passengers disembarking and get back to us.

https://www.wsdot.wa...meraDetail.aspx

#776 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:55 PM

What's your source for that 1/3 figure?

#777 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:57 PM

I've forgotten what this thread was about...

#778 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,034 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:58 PM

What's your source for that 1/3 figure?

Washington State Ferries, the nation’s largest ferry system, reports a ninth straight year of ridership growth. Passenger counts topped 24,460,045 in 2017, up more than 255,000 (+1.0%) year-over-year. Walk-ons saw particular growth with a 2% increase year-over-year to 7,177,062.

https://www.theurban...s-15-year-high/

#779 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 04:06 PM

well it would need to be 700 on every full sailing to approach the 1/3 figure that wa has. i've never seen 700 walk on. maybe 200 250 even 300 tops.

No. BC Ferries operated 174,000 total sailings in 2018. One third of the 22 million passengers BCF had would be 7.3 million. 7.3 million passengers across 174,000 sailings is 42 passengers per sailing.

#780 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,034 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 04:11 PM

most of those 174000 sailings are tiny ships on short runs.

you will need better stats than those.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users