[Marine] V2V Vacations | Victoria-Vancouver catamaran service

• Please log in to reply
834 replies to this topic

#741 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:09 PM

Something like this, but dressed for the elements. Oak Bay to Steveston, with shuttle service to Skytrain on the Richmond side and to downtown on the Victoria side.

Would be nice if YVR had a clear timeline for replacing the Dinsmore Bridge (Gilbert Road), which might enable a terminal at Bridgeport. One can dream!

#742 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:16 PM

Boating aficionados: is there anything like a covered version of this that could make the trip half-decently comfortable? I suppose I might be getting a bit extreme with my barebones approach. People would need to be comfortable, have toilet access during the trip, etc.

Here you go. Something like this...

Edited by aastra, 08 January 2020 - 02:20 PM.

#743 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:22 PM

Boating aficionados: is there anything like a covered version of this that could make the trip half-decently comfortable? I suppose I might be getting a bit extreme with my barebones approach. People would need to be comfortable, have toilet access during the trip, etc.

Here you go. Something like this...

these boats have washrooms.

https://www.eaglewin...boats/goldwing/

https://www.eaglewin...oats/serengeti/

#744 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:29 PM

This Harbour Air add offers all the explanation needed for V2V's demise.

For sure, a seat sale on Harbour Air in the year 2020 is practically a free crossing, compared to the multi-hour, much less scenic, and hardly less expensive alternatives.

Note that my Oak Bay to Richmond boat service would make a killing on those foggy days when the planes aren't flying. Methinks that's what the boat service would need to emulate: a Twin Otter that never leaves the surface (and that has a washroom).

Edited by aastra, 08 January 2020 - 05:01 PM.

#745 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:34 PM

For sure, a seat sale on Harbour Air in the year 2020 is practically a free crossing, compared to the multi-hour, much less scenic, and hardly less expensive alternatives...

I am curious as to what was the intended market of the V2V service and did V2V perform due diligence that such a market would be fiscally viable?

#746 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:34 PM

For sure, a seat sale on Harbour Air in the year 2020 is practically a free crossing, compared to the multi-hour, much less scenic, and hardly less expensive alternatives.

Note that my Oak Bay to Richmond boat service would make a killing on those foggy days when the planes aren't flying. Methinks that's what the boat service would need to emulate: a Twin Otter that never leaves the surface (and that has a washroom).

Why stop at the surface? Those subs at CFB Esquimalt sit dormant way too often...

• Mike K. and aastra like this

#747 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:37 PM

I am curious as to what was the intended market of the V2V service 

luxury and adventure.  not speed.  not utility.  not price.  those already have options.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 January 2020 - 02:38 PM.

#748 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:39 PM

Perhaps V2V assumed their services in Australia could be emulated here and the patrons would follow.

My take is they had banked on large tour organizers filling their boat. But reliability of the service suffered right out of the bat and this likely lead to many organizers erring on the side of caution (there’s nothing worse as a tourist than finding out the boat tour on your itinerary was cancelled, etc) and they skipped them.

V2V is acting honourably, though. Many operations would just close up and disappear.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#749 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:40 PM

luxury and adventure...

Fair enough. So why didn't the luxury and adventure types take to it? 

#750 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:46 PM

luxury and adventure.  not speed.  not utility.  not price.  those already have options.

Yet V2V is not recommending to their booked passengers to seek alternate luxury or adventure options.

v2v.PNG

#751 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:50 PM

...my Oak Bay to Richmond boat service would make a killing on those foggy days when the planes aren't flying.

Boating aficionados: or would it?

#752 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:56 PM

they are hard to find.  

consider clipper visitors.  chances are they are from seattle or nearby maybe even as far as portland.  but most are from greater seattle.  few have relatives here.  few regularly travel by ferry.  why would they?  few come here very often.

so for them the voyage is an adventure they seldom or never experience.  they have no other price point to compare it to.  it's been in service for 35 years and it's easy to trust.  us dollar is great too! and they don't need a car they have no idea about much of the island beyond victoria.

vancouverites have relatives and friends here.  thus they've taken and understand bc ferries.  they've been here before.  v2v2 is not a big adventure it's just a slow expensive ferry you can't even take your car on.  they know victoria is just a small part of vancouver island they might want to drive.  and they have no us dollars to spend and get extra from.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 January 2020 - 02:59 PM.

#753 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:57 PM

V2V never really decided what they were about. They were a transportation option that took too long and was too expensive, but they were also a tour operator that offered nothing unique and terrible timing. No one could ever figure out who their core business was.

If they had just focused on one or the other, perhaps they could have squeezed out another summer or two.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#754 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:02 PM

V2V never really decided what they were about. They were a transportation option that took too long and was too expensive, but they were also a tour operator that offered nothing unique and terrible timing. No one could ever figure out who their core business was.

If they had just focused on one or the other, perhaps they could have squeezed out another summer or two.

and at one point they adjusted their schedule to try to become a day-trip operator.  but it was like 3.5 hours each way and 2 hours to spend in victoria.  that's useless.

please recall that in their three seasons they:

• had a morning start in victoria
  • switched to a morning start in vancouver
  • switched at least one time mid-season
  • changed hours altogether
  • broke down for 3 months
  • changed from a plan of operating year-round to just summer

august 2018:

The current schedule, which sees the Empress leave Victoria at 9 a.m. and Vancouver at 1:30 p.m., will continue until the Sept. 20 schedule shift. At that point, the Empress will leave Vancouver at 8 a.m. and Victoria at 4 p.m. That means Vancouver passengers will have the option of a day trip to Victoria.

When service resumes next year, the Empress will depart from Vancouver at 8 a.m. and leave Victoria at 4:30 p.m.

https://www.vancouve...le-2018-1939169

may 2019:

Now, under the helm of a new general manager, V2V has charted a new course for 2019. Instead of sailing out of Victoria to Vancouver in the mornings, the V2V Empress will change direction and sail from Vancouver to Victoria, returning to its mainland home port later in the day.

https://douglasmagaz...siness-changes/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 January 2020 - 03:10 PM.

#755 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:02 PM

they are hard to find...

So then V2V didn't do its homework. They presumed a market that didn't exist.

#756 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:06 PM

...consider clipper visitors.  chances are they are from seattle or nearby maybe even as far as portland.  but most are from greater seattle... few regularly travel by ferry...few come here very often...

This is sort of off-topic, but I am not sure these "facts" are especially true, regarding Seattle-based or Portland-based Clipper customers.

#757 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:13 PM

i think you would agree that the average individual from washington or oregon takes a ferry or takes the clipper much less often than an average bc resident takes bc ferries.  even if you are from the mainland you likely take bc ferries more often than a wa or or resident takes the clipper.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 January 2020 - 03:14 PM.

#758 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:13 PM

The Clipper and Coho both actually have a decent number of "regulars".

#759 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:17 PM

i think you would agree that the average individual from washington or oregon takes a ferry or takes the clipper less than an average bc resident takes bc ferries.  evnn if you are from the mainland you likely take bc ferries more often than a wa or or resident takes the clipper.

Are you talking about the same Washington state that operates the 4th largest ferry network in the world, one that serves more passengers annually than BC Ferries?

#760 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:17 PM

also for those of us that use the ferry many many many times a year why would we be so thrilled about the v2v?  so it had hardly any victoria-resident market.  the clipper has a decent victoria-resident market beacase it's a fun way to get to seattle - at the same or even faster than driving.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users