Photo

2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#2321 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 03:42 PM

It'll be interesting to see if any candidates embrace an all-digital election marketing campaign

Undoubtedly. Look for their names at the bottom of the election results next to Changes the Clown and Racist T-Shirt Guy.

• David Bratzer likes this

#2322 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,725 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 03:44 PM

Do you think if someone with solid name recognition (just off the top of my head, let's choose Young) decides on an all-digital marketing campaign that he'd lose out to a newcomer(s) who plastered signage everywhere in addition to some/a normal volume of online ads?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2323 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 03:53 PM

Hard to say with Young. He's been around so long there are middle-aged adults that have voted for him their entire adult lives. Signs are so influential for so many reasons it's hard to imagine a successful campaign without them. Without signs, some people may forget about you or assume you're not running this time. An online ad can appear on a webpage but there are no guarantees someone will notice it.

#2324 FogPub

FogPub
  • 984 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 August 2018 - 04:13 PM

And then there's people like me, who if I saw someone's election ad show up on my computer screen would immediately note that name down as someone NOT to vote for, as I despise internet ads.

Also, if you're going to use lawn/roadside signs make sure the two most prominent things on them are your name and the election date.  "Vote DOE" is nowhere near as useful as "DOE - June 30", particularly in a municipal election where people find any excuse to forget to vote.

• Nparker likes this

#2325 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 14 August 2018 - 04:29 PM

^The Russians could help but they are busy right now with the US midterms.

How about AggregateIQ?

local discount?

• Rob Randall likes this

#2326 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,725 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 04:34 PM

Lol

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2327 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 06:19 PM

I'm going to run for mayor of Victoria under my pseudonym Deez Nutz. My election marketing plan is to buy some billboard time on the Save on Foods arena. VOTE DEEZ NUTZ. I'd win for sure. 

• Matt R., Bob Fugger, Lorenzo and 1 other like this

#2328 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:58 PM

I'm going to run for mayor of Victoria under my pseudonym Deez Nutz. My election marketing plan is to buy some billboard time on the Save on Foods arena. VOTE DEEZ NUTZ. I'd win for sure. 

That billboard time doesn't come cheap.  Makes AdWords and Facebook look like a bargain in comparison.

• Coreyburger likes this

#2329 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 06:23 AM

That billboard time doesn't come cheap.  Makes AdWords and Facebook look like a bargain in comparison.

If I recall, the City is entitled to 10% of the SOFMC billboard time for free. They never seem to use that time so perhaps you could make them an offer and get it really cheap!

Edited by spanky123, 15 August 2018 - 06:23 AM.

#2330 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 15 August 2018 - 06:34 AM

I've always wondered who is this "kek" 

#2331 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 06:58 AM

Not a good plan. What if voters confuse Deez Nutz with Dem Nutz who are already on Council. Maybe VOTE HE-MAN would be more effective, especially as it is PI.

• rjag likes this

#2332 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,404 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:08 AM

Based only on online comments right now you’d think anyone could beat Helps. But it’s probably closer than that. It’s too bad no big name has yet to step up.

#2333 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,725 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:19 AM

Based only on online comments right now you’d think anyone could beat Helps. But it’s probably closer than that. It’s too bad no big name has yet to step up.

Welcome to VV!

Know it all.

#2334 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:26 AM

Wait for it!

I agree that it is closer, especially since Helps' progressive base is usually quite active and likely to go out and vote.

#2335 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:27 AM

I know. And based on conversations with co-workers, customers, etc everyone really cant stand her. Seems like it should be an antihelps landslide. But I'm worried there is a hardcore cadre of fernwood helps voters that I don't interact with much

#2336 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:38 AM

I know. And based on conversations with co-workers, customers, etc everyone really cant stand her. Seems like it should be an antihelps landslide. But I'm worried there is a hardcore cadre of fernwood helps voters that I don't interact with much

Not to mention vote splitting. If there isn't a single strong alternative, that could work to the incumbent's advantage.

I think a strong, moderately lefty candidate who seems to possess some common sense and has an interest in LOCAL government issues... that might be the ticket...
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

#2337 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:44 AM

Stephen Andrew is feeling things out again.
  • rmpeers likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2338 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,725 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:46 AM

Likely for a council run, no?

I still think there’s too much emphasis on the mayoral seat here. Split the council vote up and change the sheets that way.
  • rjag likes this

Know it all.

#2339 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:50 AM

Likely for a council run, no?

I still think there’s too much emphasis on the mayoral seat here. Split the council vote up and change the sheets that way.

If Helps simply bypasses council and makes her own decisions then that won't work.

#2340 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:55 AM

Council according to his page.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (3)