2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#2281 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:13 PM

IF that's the case, why would he throw out an extreme example in Victoria to make a broader point? Misleading at best.. what projects are going for $1,200.00 per sq ft on average for the entire building? Custom House? Heritage compliance would drive up that cost.

#2282 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:52 PM

The gears of the "NDP machine" will turn and Mayor Loveday will replace the disgraced green mayor as the residents vote for a change.

Saw Loveday put forth a different approach as a storyteller at the Belfry tonight. He was quite funny and received a huge applause.

• Matt R. likes this

#2283 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:33 PM

IF that's the case, why would he throw out an extreme example in Victoria to make a broader point? Misleading at best.. what projects are going for $1,200.00 per sq ft on average for the entire building? Custom House? Heritage compliance would drive up that cost.

That's most likely the project he alluded to; the only other I could think of was Bellwood Park which is selling at just under $1K/sqft. Hyperbolic to likely be using what should be the most expensive development in town, but if most projects are operating under a similar ratio we're still looking at $250-300/sqft to clear red tape.

Edited by Casual Kev, 13 August 2018 - 10:33 PM.

#2284 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 05:33 AM

In the final analysis though, all Mike did was pick the wrong words to express what is a somewhat obvious, if not blatant truth.

Welcome to 2018! Mike's facebook and twitter feeds would make anyone cringe. I get it, he likes to be in your face to make a point. 99% of the voter base who doesn't know him would just think he was a flake.

If I recall, he was Atwell's advisor during the last election but Atwell wouldn't back him for a run for council. That sends a big message. 

Edited by spanky123, 14 August 2018 - 05:34 AM.

#2285 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 14 August 2018 - 07:31 AM

I don’t mind his making outlandish claims like that as it can get checked and he can be corrected etc.

Those statements don’t cause harm or incite hatred unlike Isitts claims that folks against the statues removal are racists, white supremacists, alt-right etc.... all unsubstantiated emotional claims playing to his intolerant racist base yet nobody calls him out for promotion of speech to incite
  • LJ and A Girl is No one like this

#2286 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 August 2018 - 07:39 AM

Welcome to 2018! Mike's facebook and twitter feeds would make anyone cringe. I get it, he likes to be in your face to make a point. 99% of the voter base who doesn't know him would just think he was a flake.

If I recall, he was Atwell's advisor during the last election but Atwell wouldn't back him for a run for council. That sends a big message. 

It worked for Trump...

#2287 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 07:40 AM

It worked for Trump...

And Trump would win an election here?!

#2288 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 August 2018 - 07:41 AM

Touche

#2289 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 07:43 AM

I am the furthest thing from a "racists, white supremacists, alt-right etc" (heck most of those people don't like me, being a unicorn and all), but I disagree with this.

Hard for someone like Isitt to accept that it's the way it was done, not that it was done. This moves them back to having to have a conversation, much easier to go the shut them down you are either with me or against me path.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2290 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:14 AM

99% of the voter base who doesn't know him would just think he was a flake.

Sounds like he's a shoo-in then. :)
  • Nparker likes this

#2291 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:26 AM

I've thought about running for council sometime in the future.  (The ego element embarrasses me: not crazy about the "look-at-me-and-how-wonderful-i-am" part of the life at all but I do see the need for it.)  

Aside from increasing my volunteer/community service work from 8-10 hours a month now, I've wondered what the average cost of a successful campaign might be.  Anyone know?

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#2292 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:53 AM

I've thought about running for council sometime in the future.  (The ego element embarrasses me: not crazy about the "look-at-me-and-how-wonderful-i-am" part of the life at all but I do see the need for it.)  

Aside from increasing my volunteer/community service work from 8-10 hours a month now, I've wondered what the average cost of a successful campaign might be.  Anyone know?

Depends on the muni. And all financial information is required to be disclosed usually on Elections BC or the muni's website

#2293 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:30 AM

To launch a successful campaign you're likely looking at securing $15,000-$20,000. 

Geoghegan is trying to secure $30,000.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2294 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:33 AM

And Trump would win an election here?!

Depends, does "here" mean Victoria or Vibrant Victoria?  :)

#2295 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:36 AM

You can't go into it with that attitude. Would you think that way at a job interview? 

I've wondered what the average cost of a successful campaign might be.  Anyone know?

To launch a successful campaign you're likely looking at securing $15,000-$20,000. 

Geoghegan is trying to secure $30,000.

That seems high depending on how you're spending your money. If you plan on a manned storefront like a lot of people seem to be doing, yes. But I think you could run a competitive campaign for $10,000. 

#2296 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:51 AM

You should be spending $250 to $2500 on signs alone.

It just occurred to me, a big part of your budget is going to be those election signs. The cheapest ones are basically plastic bags with your info printed on them and they are then placed over a metal wire frame that is stuck in the ground. I think they can get as low as a couple bucks apiece. 

But in this anti-bag climate are credible candidates really thinking it is wise to have your election sign printed on a plastic bag of all things? Why not make it a baby orca skin?

There are other materials like more durable corroplast but that's even more plastic. There's really no other alternative that is going to stand up for several weeks of harsh October weather. 

Edited by Rob Randall, 14 August 2018 - 11:53 AM.

• Mike K. and zoomer like this

#2297 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:05 PM

You can't go into it with that attitude. Would you think that way at a job interview? 

That seems high depending on how you're spending your money. If you plan on a manned storefront like a lot of people seem to be doing, yes. But I think you could run a competitive campaign for $10,000. 

I make no excuses.

Lots of opinions (obviously didn't need to be said) but the concept of attraction rather than promotion is easier for me.

Lots of coaching, cajoling made me a very small increment better at it during performance reviews, sigh, but always an issue.

Psychoanalyse to your hearts content... I accept all the reasoning, lol.

#2298 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:18 PM

Too many first time candidates are fooled into thinking that a campaign is about trying to convince people what a great person you'll be.

But people don't care about future promises. They judge you on what you've done in the past. Tell them about the creative problems you've solved and initiatives you've created.

A campaign is mostly about simply laying out your past accomplishments and how that applies to your clear vision about how the City should be led.

Edited by Rob Randall, 14 August 2018 - 12:19 PM.

#2299 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,772 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:20 PM

...But people don't care about future promises. They judge you on what you've done in the past...

In that case an entirely new council should be elected in the CoV come October.

• Matt R., AndrewReeve, lanforod and 1 other like this

#2300 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:41 PM

You should be spending $250 to $2500 on signs alone.

It just occurred to me, a big part of your budget is going to be those election signs. The cheapest ones are basically plastic bags with your info printed on them and they are then placed over a metal wire frame that is stuck in the ground. I think they can get as low as a couple bucks apiece. 

But in this anti-bag climate are credible candidates really thinking it is wise to have your election sign printed on a plastic bag of all things? Why not make it a baby orca skin?

There are other materials like more durable corroplast but that's even more plastic. There's really no other alternative that is going to stand up for several weeks of harsh October weather. 

Digital - inconvenience electrons, go where the people are - their smartphones. Environmentally friendly, effective and surprisingly cost-efficient if you know what you are doing.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users