Photo

2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#3061 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:57 AM

the problem with helps is her disregard for the public's tax money.  $100,000 for park clean up then another $200,000 then $50,000/yr. to meet with city family then $75,000 here for temporary art and $50,000 there for temporary art then $50,000 for some type of vote-for-how-to-spend-this nonsense.  and $2 million for elsner.  what did we get for $2 million?  not even a temporary whale head or temporary painted pavement.

how much longer do we have to pay huggett $30,000/mo.?  can't we take the remaining management work in-house the hard technical stuff is done.  now it's just a landscaping job. landscaping managers do not earn $30,000/mo.  we already have a head of public works and lots of lower managers on payroll in that department.

Helps has stated that she wants Huggett to lead the Crystal Pool project. 

#3062 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:20 AM

What about the claim, by the office of the police complaint commissioner, that money intended for actual policing was instead used by the police board to cover Elsner's legal costs and to hire a communications crisis consultant?

That's a pretty serious claim. If we had a proper local daily newspaper, that would be a story worth following up on, especially with an election approaching. I'm sure it's too much like actual journalism for the TC to attempt... maybe the Vic News or Tafler could investigate this one?
  • Nparker likes this

#3063 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,785 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:27 AM

...maybe the Vic News or Tafler could investigate this one?

Better leave it to the former; I suspect Tafler is still trying to work out The Mystery of Darkened Domiciles.

#3064 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:56 AM

Mike Geoghegan says this on Facebook: "I will be making a major announcement regarding the municipal election at the Rose Garden of the BC Legislature at 10:00 am tomorrow - Wednesday September 5th. You are cordially invited. It will be followed by a reception at the VISTA 18 restaurant. Please let me know if you plan on attending."

A friend says Mike will announce that he's running for mayor of Victoria. Maybe so, if he's holding these events downtown. But he'll have to be busy today, posting a website to replace the one that says he's running in Saanich in 2018: https://www.mikeforsaanichcouncil.ca/

Edited by Jacques Cadé, 04 September 2018 - 10:58 AM.

#3065 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 11:02 AM

Mike Geoghegan says this on Facebook: "I will be making a major announcement regarding the municipal election at the Rose Garden of the BC Legislature at 10:00 am tomorrow - Wednesday September 5th. You are cordially invited. It will be followed by a reception at the VISTA 18 restaurant. Please let me know if you plan on attending."

A friend says Mike will announce that he's running for mayor of Victoria. Maybe so, if he's holding these events downtown. But he'll have to be busy today, posting a website to replace the one that says he's running in Saanich in 2018: https://www.mikeforsaanichcouncil.ca/

I kinda hope not.  Don't need more vote splitting 

• jonny, Awaiting Juno and rmpeers like this

#3066 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 12:00 PM

I am told there is a province-wide shortage of wire and corroplast for election signs; if you haven't ordered by now you may have difficulty. I assume the cheaper plastic bag sign isn't suffering from the same shortage but I don't know how popular they'll be considering the political baggage surrounding the idea of using a plastic bag to promote yourself. But I understand the wire frames that the bag sits on are still scarce at this time. 

A friend says Mike [Geoghegan] will announce that he's running for mayor of Victoria. Maybe so, if he's holding these events downtown. But he'll have to be busy today, posting a website to replace the one that says he's running in Saanich in 2018: https://www.mikeforsaanichcouncil.ca/

I have difficulty believing Geoghegan would choose to run for Victoria mayor when he's already printed a bunch of Saanich Council T-shirts.

Why would he feed qualified to take over the mayor's chair in Victoria but not Saanich? He would have to crush Beyer and Hammond to beat Helps and I simply don't see how the math adds up there.

• Nparker, spanky123 and Awaiting Juno like this

#3067 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 12:11 PM

I am told there is a province-wide shortage of wire and corroplast for election signs; if you haven't ordered by now you may have difficulty. I assume the cheaper plastic bag sign isn't suffering from the same shortage but I don't know how popular they'll be considering the political baggage surrounding the idea of using a plastic bag to promote yourself. But I understand the wire frames that the bag sits on are still scarce at this time. 

https://www.alibaba....2122fBmDdck&s=p

• Rob Randall likes this

#3068 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,087 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 12:42 PM

if any of the existing council uses the bag signs it'll be quite hypocritical. those quite frankly could end up in the ocean.

• Nparker likes this

#3069 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 01:22 PM

Speaking of election signs, saw my first of the season that has gone up for NewCouncil at the intersection of Cook/Yates. A nice big wood frame with a teeny tiny little sign within it. A little anti-climatic but good they are getting a head start!

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#3070 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 02:20 PM

^I just saw that--it only says newcouncil.ca.

There are a couple of perennial mayor candidates we haven't heard from yet: Steve Filopovic and Saul Anderson. Steve would bust his butt but never got more that 15% of the vote. Saul did it as a lark and wouldn't lift a finger and he wouldn't do any better at the polls.

Look, here's the deal. Helps is going to get between six and nine thousand votes, guaranteed. That makes her vulnerable in an election like 2011 when it was basically Fortin vs. Paul Brown where Brown was the only credible challenger (Filopovic ran a distant third).

But this election you've got a lot more competition.

There are two credible challengers, two more that are respectable but can't win and two or three earnest-but-hopeless amateurs who will end up at the bottom. That's a lot of people cutting up the anti-Helps vote. I can't see any single candidate out of that bunch getting the minimum needed to topple Helps unless one or more challengers drops out.

• rjag, tedward and nerka like this

#3071 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,785 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 02:28 PM

... can't see any single candidate out of that bunch getting the minimum needed to topple Helps unless one or more challengers drops out.

This is my greatest concern as well. Ideally, I'd like to see a Hammond v. Helps mayoral race.

• Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#3072 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 02:33 PM

This is my greatest concern as well. Ideally, I'd like to see a Hammond v. Helps mayoral race.

For that to happen I think Gary Beyer has to drop out, to be blunt.

I would remind you that I'm the only person here to have his election prediction mentioned in The Globe and Mail.

Mind you, it was because I was wildly wrong but who's counting.

• rjag and Awaiting Juno like this

#3073 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 02:42 PM

My prediction:

Hammond will get 4,000 votes but he needs Gary Beyers' 2,000 votes to get him to the 6,000 minimum needed to topple Helps, assuming Lisa's popularity drops sustantially compared to 2014. If Geoghegan enters, that splits the right-wing vote even further. 

After the Helps votes are cast there are going to be at least 11,000 other votes up for grabs but those votes are going to be split at least six ways.

#3074 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,785 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 02:46 PM

For that to happen I think Gary Beyer has to drop out, to be blunt.

Agreed. If Lisa Helps doesn't secure 50% of the popular vote she should not be eligible for another term.

#3075 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 02:50 PM

Agreed. If Lisa Helps doesn't secure 50% of the popular vote she should not be eligible for another term.

Wouldn't that then negate Hammond or someone else from winning the election with less than 50% of the popular vote. Cuts both ways.

#3076 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 02:52 PM

My prediction:

Hammond will get 4,000 votes but he needs Gary Beyers' 2,000 votes to get him to the 6,000 minimum needed to topple Helps, assuming Lisa's popularity drops sustantially compared to 2014. If Geoghegan enters, that splits the right-wing vote even further. 

After the Helps votes are cast there are going to be at least 11,000 other votes up for grabs but those votes are going to be split at least six ways.

yeah its a problem.  Beyer beat Hammond 55% to 45% on a Victoria BC TODAY facebook poll with 555 votes

#3077 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 02:56 PM

My prediction:

I'm not sure it is accurate to refer to Hammond as "right-wing." I don't think being opposed to Tent City even makes one a little bit conservative. Just rational.

• Nparker, rjag, jonny and 4 others like this

#3078 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 03:02 PM

^I know right-wing is not exactly accurate but it roughly covers the law-and-order crowd which can be quite centrist.

2014, Helps won with 37.63% of the vote over Fortin's 37.27%

2011, Fortin won with 60.45%

2008, Fortin won with 45.76% over Rob Reid's 42.19%

2005, Lowe won with 51.93% to Isitt's 43.61%

2005, 2008 and 2011 were basically two-person races. 2014 you will recall was the year Stephen Andrews and Ida Chong entered the race against Fortin and Helps, with Helps squeaking out a very close win.

As you can see there are some close results over the years so all it takes is one minor candidate to be a big spoiler.

#3079 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 04 September 2018 - 03:03 PM

I'm not sure it is accurate to refer to Hammond as "right-wing." I don't think being opposed to Tent City even makes one a little bit conservative. Just rational.

Yup but the Helps camp are going to pull out all the divisive comments such as that....its their fall back 

• Awaiting Juno and rmpeers like this

#3080 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,785 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 03:18 PM

Wouldn't that then negate Hammond or someone else from winning the election with less than 50% of the popular vote...

Maybe everyone gets one chance at winning with less than 50%. Helps had hers in 2014 with 37.63%

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)