Photo

2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#3601 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,848 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:42 AM

... there were way too many "goals" listed and some of it seemed beyond the control of a Victoria mayor...

Of course that's one of the biggest beefs I have with the current crew at #1 Centennial Square; they seem to think it's their responsibility to take on all the problems of the world. Until such time as our region sees some sort of amalgamation, the CoV's world ends at the Esquimalt*, Saanich and Oak Bay borders. There is plenty for my local government to tackle within those confines.

* I realize that police services are shared between Esq-Vic

• rjag and rmpeers like this

#3602 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:00 AM

Neighbourhood groups love them and I often wondered what it was that they are trying to accomplish and if there was a better way.

They are trying to remain relevant and prove their importance to the community.

The better way would be to have a ward system which would narrow down the choices for a local representative to a reasonable number.

• Nparker and Stephen Andrew like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#3603 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,848 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:11 AM

...The better way would be to have a ward system which would narrow down the choices for a local representative to a reasonable number.

Agreed. This will be essential if amalgamation ever happens (which it won't in my lifetime).

• Stephen Andrew likes this

#3604 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:22 AM

Of course that's one of the biggest beefs I have with the current crew at #1 Centennial Square; they seem to think it's their responsibility to take on all the problems of the world. Until such time as our region sees some sort of amalgamation, the CoV's world ends at the Esquimalt*, Saanich and Oak Bay borders. There is plenty for my local government to tackle within those confines.

* I realize that police services are shared between Esq-Vic

I wonder how much of this is:
1. Just ignorance of what their role is supposed to be.
2. Some sort of fantasy-roleplay where they imagine themselves in a higher office and feel important.
3. An attempt to position themselves for an imagined provincial or federal role, which might explain the seeming lack of interest in dealing with municipal issues.
4. An attempt to create the illusion that they are tackling the big issues, knowing that this will impress their base.
  • rjag, Pam, johnk and 4 others like this

#3605 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:34 AM

I wonder how much of this is:
1. Just ignorance of what their role is supposed to be.
2. Some sort of fantasy-roleplay where they imagine themselves in a higher office and feel important.
3. An attempt to position themselves for an imagined provincial or federal role, which might explain the seeming lack of interest in dealing with municipal issues.
4. An attempt to create the illusion that they are tackling the big issues, knowing that this will impress their base.

3 and 4.

• Nparker and rjag like this

#3606 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,199 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:44 AM

it could also be you never create a rabid base of volunteers and cheerleaders if you platform is pothole repair.
  • Nparker likes this

#3607 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,848 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:46 AM

I'd also add that it's a lot harder to evaluate Council's success/failure when tackling issues that are far outside of their jurisdiction. They can appear to be engaged and active without actually having to achieve any meaningful results.

• spanky123, kjf, johnk and 2 others like this

#3608 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 09:01 AM

I would personally like to see Helps get kicked out and as she is walking out the door with her cardboard box, the statue of Sir John A is getting reinstalled and the new mayor giving a speech telling tenters that if they return to the CoV they will promptly be arrested for the slightest infraction whether it be littering, camping at 9:01am plus a freeze on bike lane construction, etc, etc

• mbjj and Mystic-Pizza like this

#3609 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 19 September 2018 - 09:54 AM

it could also be you never create a rabid base of volunteers and cheerleaders if you platform is pothole repair.

I don't know with the state of some streets in YYJ I think some are wanting to lessen the expenses associated with wheel alignments and tire replacements caused by poor wheel alignment that have been caused by Victoria potholes.  

Edited by Awaiting Juno, 19 September 2018 - 09:54 AM.

• Freedom57 likes this

#3610 FogPub

FogPub
  • 982 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:57 AM

Interesting experiment: find a pothole in a bike lane and see how long it takes to get fixed, vs. a similar existing pothole in a driving lane.....

• On the Level likes this

#3611 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 19 September 2018 - 11:09 AM

Interesting experiment: find a pothole in a bike lane and see how long it takes to get fixed, vs. a similar existing pothole in a driving lane.....

To be fair a bike lane pot hole is far more likely to cause a personal injury for which the city could be held responsible...

• John M. likes this

#3612 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 12:50 PM

Like the big bump on the west side of the JSB where the woman cyclist died.

#3613 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 19 September 2018 - 01:20 PM

Like the big bump on the west side of the JSB where the woman cyclist died.

wasnt that a construction hole that wasnt adequately fenced?

#3614 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 01:24 PM

wasnt that a construction hole that wasnt adequately fenced?

That was a different incident and I'm pretty sure that one lived.  This one hit the westbound paving-join bump, which is huge (for bikes, probably barely notice in a car), fell off bike and later died from the injuries.

#3615 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 19 September 2018 - 01:25 PM

That was a different incident and I'm pretty sure that one lived.  This one hit the westbound paving-join bump, which is huge (for bikes, probably barely notice in a car), fell off bike and later died from the injuries.

damn thats awful

#3616 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 01:28 PM

Anyways, AJ is correct that paving fails can be brutal to us bi-wheeled folk whereas in a car we barely notice them (other than driving on Burnside downtown-bound from Tillicum Mall.  Who designed those absurd bumps at each side street?).

#3617 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 04:39 AM

Word on the street is there is some angst among the three mayoral candidates vying to unseat Helps (two serious contenders have stepped down while three serious contenders are in the running: Hammond, McGuigan and Geoghegan).

McGuigan doesn’t consider Geoghegan a serious candidate according to statements he’s made, and those close to him say he’s dismissive of Hammond as a credible choice.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3618 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,199 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 04:47 AM

some more meetings or debates have been added to marg gardiners list.

http://www.marggardi...tform=hootsuite

#3619 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,199 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 04:48 AM

hammond released a detailed platform on bike lanes.

sid tafler is only $180 from his goal of $3k for his website.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 September 2018 - 04:51 AM.

#3620 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:28 AM

Word on the street is there is some angst among the three mayoral candidates vying to unseat Helps (two serious contenders have stepped down while three serious contenders are in the running: Hammond, McGuigan and Geoghegan).

McGuigan doesn’t consider Geoghegan a serious candidate according to statements he’s made, and those close to him say he’s dismissive of Hammond as a credible choice.

Geoghegan isn't a contender and McGuigan, although he may be a strong candidate, is being left in the dust from an organization standpoint. He has a Mickey Mouse website, no social media presence, and no promotion. He seems to think that he can just sit back and lecture and people will vote for him. 

Edited by spanky123, 20 September 2018 - 08:13 AM.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users