2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#1101 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:54 AM

That's probably due to the change in the law more than any change of personal philosophy.

The new law allows for any money you collected prior to October 31st or whenever it was.  So you could have potentially collected, say, $500,000 from unions over the last 3 years and have it at the ready to use this October.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1102 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:42 PM

Ok, Ben...
Capture.JPG

He seems happy to spend gas tax dollars and property tax generated from various automotive related businesses in town.
  • Nparker, Nostalgic Victoria, Midnightly and 1 other like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1103 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:10 PM

^ so much for high density and affordable living.  Where are all the homeless panhandlers?  How heartless.  Seems to me Isitt is starting class war

Who is going to water all that turf?  

• Nparker, jonny, Nostalgic Victoria and 1 other like this

#1104 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:52 PM

If there are any design failures with the new bridge, I think we will be looking at a full slate of new candidates.

• Cassidy likes this

#1105 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:36 AM

Bridge posts moved to the bridge thread :)

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#1106 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:48 AM

Bridge posts moved to the bridge thread :)

:thumbsup:

#1107 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:58 PM

Hi Sebberry, Just tried to send you a PM but it wouldn't go through so I'll post here.

Saw your post about having your perspective constantly ignored. I've definitely felt that way about elected officials in the past and I know how frustrating it is. If you'd like to meet for a coffee sometime I'd be interested in hearing you out and seeing what I might be able to help with.

Sebberry don’tbwaste your time. I’ve tried this coffee thing with Jeremy and it was a waste of time. No need to PM me Jeremy. Been there done that.

#1108 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:03 PM

Let's remind folks of the campaign donations for Lisa Helps last election, items over $999:

Janice Lacey - $5,000
Justin Stephenson - $1,000
Charles Stephenson - $1,000
Bard & Banker - $2,500
Irish Times - $2,500
Bob and Judy Skene - $5,000
Leigh Large - $5,000
David and Norma Butterfield - $1,000
Ralmax - $1,000
Peter Elkins - $1,000
Graham Kelly - $1,000
David Malton - $1,000
Adam Rainville - $1,000
Jordan and Lorne Milne - $5,000
Wayne Ford - $1,000
Kal Suurkask - $3,000
Judd Buchanan - $2,500
Dan Fisher - $1,000
Dan Cox - $1,000
Railyards/Chris LeFevre - $6,000
Marianne Unger - $9981.32
Veronica Vander Heiden - $2,500
Lisa Helps - $2,975

Only $8,423 came via PayPal, of her total $88,290 in donations.

Bard and Banker and Irish Times donated? I know where I WON’t be going to anymore, thank you very much for that!
  • Love the rock likes this

#1109 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 946 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:25 PM

I will not support financially any business or individuals who contribute to the mayors
campaign.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#1110 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:05 PM

Sebberry don’tbwaste your time. I’ve tried this coffee thing with Jeremy and it was a waste of time. No need to PM me Jeremy. Been there done that.

Mind sharing?

• J_Loveday likes this

#1111 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:39 AM

I agree that there should be no barrier to entry to run for public office, reducing the amount of campaign donations by 3rd parties such as labour or business etc will help level the playing field.

However I think there should be some type of means test to measure the ability of the candidate to actually do the job of running a municipality. There are far too many personal agendas in play here, but zero mention of the skills available to understand the complexity of running what is effectively a multi million $ corporation that is a monopoly.

This is other peoples money that is at stake here, politicians keep forgetting that in the pursuit of social justice nirvana and pet projects. How many decades have we been waiting for Firehall #1 to be replaced? but ....no....not a priority....they cant even build a frigging bike lane on budget....I have never seen a council as unqualified as this current one. Generating a bonanza of new tax revenue through private sector development should mean zero tax increases and enough revenue to fulfill infrastructure improvements. But nope, community gardens (aka toilets for drug addicts) musical stairs etc etc are far more important  :badpc:

They are so consumed with issues that are simply pet projects and are drunk with the power that they would never attain in the real world.

There is an old saying about Professors and their inability to understand the real world...

'there are those people that can...and do....and there are those that teach' 

I think the same could be applied to local politicians. Stu Young is about the only politician I can think of locally that is the exception....can anyone else come up with another name? 

• sebberry, Daveyboy, Love the rock and 1 other like this

#1112 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 946 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:16 AM

I will not support financially any business or individuals who contribute to the mayors
campaign.

I have never voted with my dollar before now .
To me this is a last resort.
I have not been easily excited or moved by politics in the past either.
That is until now, just an average joe .
The businesses and individuals who supported Ms.Help in the last election I will support.
Any politician can talk the talk it’s what they do after the last vote is counted that matters.
If businesses and individuals financially support her again , which I
respect is their right .
They have a different vision for my city which I can’t support .
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#1113 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:34 AM

I can't speak to Jeremy in particular, but if you have a particular issue you want to raise I think it is useful to speak one on one with councillors when you have the opportunity

• John M. and shoeflack like this

#1114 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:35 AM

I agree. All of them are friendly folks in my experience.
  • John M. and shoeflack like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1115 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:45 AM

Yup, if you have the opportunity, take it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1116 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:17 AM

I agree. All of them are friendly folks in my experience.

I also agree.

Nobody friendlier than Coleman, Alto, or Madoff ... these are smart, kind folks who truly believe they are doing the best for their city. Conversations with these folks are easy and comfortable.

The rest of them aren't really my cup of tea, but still all friendly - if a bit too much of them preferring to do most of the talking, and you doing most of the listening.

But all still "friendly" in the classic sense of the term.

• VicHockeyFan and John M. like this

#1117 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:26 AM

However I think there should be some type of means test to measure the ability of the candidate to actually do the job of running a municipality.  

That phrase, "means test" does not mean what you think it means. :)

"a determination of whether an individual or family is eligible for government assistance
- wilkipedia

I think you are asking for proof of qualification which is sort of the whole point of having an election: you can ask the candidate questions and judge their qualifications before you vote.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#1118 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:56 AM

That phrase, "means test" does not mean what you think it means. :)

"a determination of whether an individual or family is eligible for government assistance
- wilkipedia

I think you are asking for proof of qualification which is sort of the whole point of having an election: you can ask the candidate questions and judge their qualifications before you vote.

Thanks, I think you know what I mean though.  :cheers:  ie you want to run for public office and have sway over a several hundred million budget....what are you bringing to the table that gives you the skills necessary to manage a budget of that size?

#1119 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:01 PM

Very few people have the skills or chops to do it. Partly why we elect councils, and not a single person - so that between the 7 or 9 people, there will be full coverage of all the skills and experience needed. The mayor needs excellent leadership skills most of all, and the ability to listen and follow advice from those who actually do know what they are doing, especially if she does not. Victoria's current mayor seems to more ignore advice whenever it doesn't fit her personal agenda, and even worse, never take responsibility for it when that backfires.

• jonny, Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#1120 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:42 PM

I agree that there should be no barrier to entry to run for public office, reducing the amount of campaign donations by 3rd parties such as labour or business etc will help level the playing field.

However I think there should be some type of means test to measure the ability of the candidate to actually do the job of running a municipality. There are far too many personal agendas in play here, but zero mention of the skills available to understand the complexity of running what is effectively a multi million $ corporation that is a monopoly.

This is other peoples money that is at stake here, politicians keep forgetting that in the pursuit of social justice nirvana and pet projects. How many decades have we been waiting for Firehall #1 to be replaced? but ....no....not a priority....they cant even build a frigging bike lane on budget....I have never seen a council as unqualified as this current one. Generating a bonanza of new tax revenue through private sector development should mean zero tax increases and enough revenue to fulfill infrastructure improvements. But nope, community gardens (aka toilets for drug addicts) musical stairs etc etc are far more important  :badpc:

They are so consumed with issues that are simply pet projects and are drunk with the power that they would never attain in the real world.

There is an old saying about Professors and their inability to understand the real world...

'there are those people that can...and do....and there are those that teach' 

I think the same could be applied to local politicians. Stu Young is about the only politician I can think of locally that is the exception....can anyone else come up with another name? 

There are several people on the forum whom I would financially support if they decided to make a run at the mayors office, or even council. You are among that group. 

I agree with you totally about Stew, mayor for life as far as I am concerned.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users