2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#1121 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:06 PM

Not a fan of Stew, suburban sprawl thinking from 40 years ago with some moderation thrown in. Although with 13 municipalities I guess it’s not realistic for him to be expected to champion regional and environmentally friendly development.

I’d suggest people try to recruit Hudson Mack. He’s probably itching to get back into the public spotlight, make a contribution and give back to the community he loves. His dad ran twice for mayor of Calgary and lost, so not sure if that is a motivator or not. After his son’s experience I can see him realizing life is fleeting, best to make the most of it while you can.

Good public speaker, intelligent, polished, moderate - I’d vote for him as mayor.
  • Mike K., VicHockeyFan, Nparker and 1 other like this

#1122 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:09 PM

I also agree.

Nobody friendlier than Coleman, Alto, or Madoff ... these are smart, kind folks who truly believe they are doing the best for their city. Conversations with these folks are easy and comfortable.

The rest of them aren't really my cup of tea, but still all friendly - if a bit too much of them preferring to do most of the talking, and you doing most of the listening.

But all still "friendly" in the classic sense of the term.

Friendly but will still only waste your time.

#1123 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:13 PM

There are several people on the forum whom I would financially support if they decided to make a run at the mayors office, or even council. You are among that group.
I agree with you totally about Stew, mayor for life as far as I am concerned.

Thanks LJ if I run I promise I’ll get you all the bike lanes I can.

#1124 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:58 PM

Not a fan of Stew, suburban sprawl thinking from 40 years ago with some moderation thrown in. Although with 13 municipalities I guess it’s not realistic for him to be expected to champion regional and environmentally friendly development.

I’d suggest people try to recruit Hudson Mack. He’s probably itching to get back into the public spotlight, make a contribution and give back to the community he loves. His dad ran twice for mayor of Calgary and lost, so not sure if that is a motivator or not. After his son’s experience I can see him realizing life is fleeting, best to make the most of it while you can.

Good public speaker, intelligent, polished, moderate - I’d vote for him as mayor.

His nomination is testing very well.

• A Girl is No one likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1125 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:32 AM

Hudson and I have crossed paths in a couple of ways but not enough that he would recognize me on the street.

I heard the best "save" in a bumpy situation when I introduced myself to him out back of an arena having a smoke. 

Mrs. Sparky owned the house that he and Patty live in, and she sold it to them privately without a realtor so they got to know each other. He was also a raquetball partner of a very talkative friend of mine so I am sure Hudson heard as many stories about me as I did him.

So when I bumped into him at the smoke pit (I'm sure neither of us do that any more) and started up a conversation, I'm sure he must have thought that I was just another person that thought they knew him through the front of their television set. At least that was the feeling that I got by his facial expressions and body language. 

So when I finally had to explain to him how we knew each other, and how we had met before.....he bounced back with a big smile on his face and said ......"I thought that was you".

Great line....I wonder how many times he had to say that.

I would borrow money from a loan shark to help fund his campaign. This man is not only a great facilitator....he is a true gentleman. This is the best idea I have heard all year. I thinkI will give him a call and tell him that he would make a fantastic Mayor. 

I can just hear him now on the phone. "......who is this again?"

• Bingo, lanforod, Love the rock and 1 other like this

#1126 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:00 AM

That’s my line.

Matt.

#1127 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:09 PM

All candidates should be able to do this test.

Mini-cog 
During the mini-cog, a person is asked to complete two tasks:

1. Remember and a few minutes later repeat the names of three common objects
  2. Draw a face of a clock showing all 12 numbers in the right places and a time specified by the examiner

The results of this brief test can help a physician determine if further evaluation is needed.

https://www.alz.org/...o_diagnosis.asp

• Nparker likes this

#1128 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:21 PM

Any doubt that the current council members can't pass that test? Seems rather basic.

#1129 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:23 PM

All candidates should be able to do this test.

Tests for candidates or voters are unconstitutional. Full stop.

#1130 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:25 PM

Which goes along way to explaining why we have the political situation we face today.  :blink:

• rjag and A Girl is No one like this

#1131 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:27 PM

Which goes along way to explaining why we have the political situation we face today.  :blink:

Read some history. "Testing" people before voting or running was a way of keeping poorer and non-white people from running or voting.

#1132 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:29 PM

Read some history. "Testing" people before voting or running was a way of keeping poorer and non-white people from running or voting.

An ignorant electorate does not make for the best democracy.

#1133 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:29 PM

Chill, the discussion about a test is rhetorical and is simply to imply that some folks cant organize their way out of a paper bag yet they can be elected and be responsible for decisions affecting a population and multi million $ budgets. 

The issue at hand is are they capable to manage for all or just special interest groups with agendas....

• Nparker likes this

#1134 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:34 PM

Chill, the discussion about a test is rhetorical

No, I'm not going to "chill". You are proposing, even jokingly, disenfranchising people. That isn't "cool" by any means

#1135 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Coreyburger would go apoplectic if knew that I think people should get licensed before reproducing.

• rjag and Matt R. like this

#1136 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Correct. The Charter of Rights and Freedoms is very clear here.

• Coreyburger and nerka like this

#1137 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:39 PM

No, I'm not going to "chill". You are proposing, even jokingly, disenfranchising people. That isn't "cool" by any means

No, I am not, I am asking whether a person is qualified to do a job or not and whether that question should be asked in advance (by way of public discussion) before they get their hands on the purse strings and we then discover how unqualified they really are. Then having to wait 4 years watching them fiddle as the place is in disarray.

Everyone is entitled to the opportunity to apply for the job, its the electorate that are the interviewers and determine the persons suitability, sometimes they actually get it right

• A Girl is No one likes this

#1138 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:41 PM

Making it a mandatory question/test for candidates likely violates Charter rights. Nothing is stopping you from attending an all candidates meeting and asking your questions, though. That said, candidates are not obligated to answer, or even answer truthfully.

#1139 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:44 PM

Not only does it obviously violate Charter rights, it's meaningless--how do you define "qualified"? 

The only qualification for public office is open mindedness, intelligence and good old common sense. Anything else is a bonus but it should be noted that people that bring their "expertise" to the table often bring along their predjudices ("that's the way I've always done it") and their bad habits.

This is my final word on the subject.

• rjag and Coreyburger like this

#1140 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,561 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:45 PM

No, I am not, I am asking whether a person is qualified to do a job or not and whether that question should be asked in advance (by way of public discussion) before they get their hands on the purse strings and we then discover how unqualified they really are. Then having to wait 4 years watching them fiddle as the place is in disarray.

Everyone is entitled to the opportunity to apply for the job, its the electorate that are the interviewers and determine the persons suitability, sometimes they actually get it right

In the local political realm there have been several politicians who those close to them, and their fellow politicians, knew were senile.

But nobody would dare raise that issue in public publicly cast doubt on their ability to serve. But they all knew, and re-election was guaranteed each time the individuals sought re-election.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users