This looks promising.

http://garybeyer.com

#1222 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:07 AM

This looks promising.

Several people have already commented on that page and the glaring typos on it.

#1223 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:10 AM

Several people have already commented on that page and the glaring typos on it.

I don't see any typos. There is not that much there yet. What am I missing?

#1224 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:13 AM

A once1 vibrant city that can find a new success by looking to it's2 own roots.

Victoria3 BC4 is a city known world-wide for it's5 charm, history and beauty; yet these are the qualities now eroded in favor6 of buzz word7 politics. Getting back to baiscs8, back to the roots of Victoria BC9 is one way10 to find the path back to that deserved world-wide recognition.

1. Should be a hyphen here. 

2. No apostrophe necessary. Excess apostrophes in this paragraph are its biggest flaw. It's awful. See what I did?

3. Comma here, even if it doesn't sound like there should be one.

4. So glad you mentioned BC--I thought we might be talking about Victoria, Texas.

5. Yep.

6. Should use Canadian spelling here: favour. Personally, I think it's a 20th century affectation but them's the rules.

7. Buzzword is one word. You can hyphenate it if you're want to sound like you're from the 1950s, daddy-o.

8. Ouch.

9, Thanks for the reminder. I was wondering if we wandered off to Victoria, Australia.

10. Or is that two ways? I've lost track.

All these typos that Rob pointed out (basics is now fixed, I might point out)

Edited by Coreyburger, 31 January 2018 - 08:14 AM.

#1225 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:14 AM

They have been fixed I think.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1226 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:18 AM

They have been fixed I think.

The typos have. The awkward language, not so much. What concerns is attention to detail -  this isn't one page of thousands on a website. The website has a single page.

I'd also like to say that "getting back to basics" is about as buzzwordy as it comes.

• John M., shoeflack and nerka like this

#1227 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:19 AM

I don't think so:

Victoria BC is a city known world-wide for its charm, history and beauty; yet these are the qualities now eroded in favor of buzz word politics. Getting back to basics, back to the roots of Victoria BC is one way to find the path back to that deserved world-wide recognition.

The background image is also of NYC's mid-town skyline.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1228 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:21 AM

Victoria is as highly regarded internationally as it has ever been. Nobody is denying that, so I'm not sure why that's front-and-centre in Mr. Beyer's most important introductory paragraph. We gotta axe that right quick.

Our social issues are causing the locals grief, not the tourists. Downtown Vancouver's east side is pretty nasty but it has no effect on the city's image (beyond limited instances, of course).

• shoeflack likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1229 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:16 AM

Here's an issue I'd like to hear from any Victoria Councillor about before the election, one we've come close to in these discussions.  

I'd especially like to hear from Mr Loveday:

Many Victoria City councillors have received a substantial proportion of their campaign funds from unions, legally and appropriately until now and for several years.  (proof is found in the election disclosure forms.)  It is in these unions best interests' to negotiate with each municipality individually, rather than with a consolidated bargaining unit and they have made that clear for a long time.  The consolidated bargaining unit that existed until recently served the electorate by negotiating from a position of consolidation and strength (think a larger population.)  Important to note that, even with the consolidated bargaining unit, most of these unions come to the table with considerably more resources, experience and legal talent than our little community, but we try...

The question:

Given that council decisions should reflect the best interests' of the electorate (as opposed to the interests of the politician's or any interest group), what benefit did Victoria citizens enjoy from the City of Victoria abandoning the consolidated bargaining unit, going it alone and, even worse, negotiating a deal FIRST that would put considerable pressure on the other municipalities to accept the terms of Victoria's deal?

I'll add the following points for consideration:

- fiduciary responsibility means our council has a legal, moral and ethical requirement to act in OUR best interests'

- VicPD has the highest number of police per 100,000 population for any Canadian municipality (Victoria/Esquimalt), the lowest number of residents per police officer for any Canadian municipality with a population exceeding 100,000 (Victoria/Esquimalt), and the highest cost per capita for policing of all the other municipal police departments ad has asked for another increase well above the rate of inflation.

- Vic PD is only one example of many.

• Nparker likes this

#1230 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:21 AM

As a further comment, I have no personal positive or negative feelings about unions - not relevant and not the point.  

The point of this question is about who is served and the quality of our governance.   For better or worse, we have an adversarial system designed to negotiate towards a solution.  The same adversarial system lives in several areas of our culture (courts, elections, parties of opposition, etc.)

This question is about the possibility that our system has been subverted by people and for people who's agenda is different than the service of our electorate.

Just to be clear that this is NOT the partisan issue people might try to make it out to be.

#1231 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:26 AM

They simply said at the time there were leaving the joint bargaining unit because they already had the in-house talent and expertise to make their own agreement and being in the unit they were duplicating services. 

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1232 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:39 AM

Is that the same talent that is advising on the bridge?

#1233 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:20 AM

This looks promising.

Needs work as pointed out by many - but I get that content creation can be difficult, particularly when Mr. Beyer has a business to run, so political aspirations are likely in addition to trying to keep the business running.  Ideally, he'd hire a communications/marketing firm to assist in getting his website up and running.  Then he'd begin blogging on what he sees as being the issues central to his platform (ideally with a bit of help to copy edit).  I'd really like to see a headshot of this person and to know who is and where he comes from - why does he see himself as being a strong candidate for the Mayor's chair.  I should note that it might be helpful to be explicit in what he'd do, what exactly does "back to Victoria's roots" mean?  I think many Victorians are fine (even eager) to see the city evolve, particularly if it means good jobs, and access to the things that make Victoria a desirable place to live.  What many are annoyed with is the slide that downtown has taken, the selective enforcement of bylaws and fiscal mismanagement, and the reluctance to effectively move towards amalgamation at least of the core (Saanich, Esquimalt, Victoria and Oak Bay).

• Nparker, lanforod and shoeflack like this

#1234 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:25 AM

Frankly, terms like "back to Victoria's roots" scare me. They make me think of older friends and acquaintances who live in Broadmead, Brentwood Bay and the Uplands who think of the core as a series of strip malls and quaint shops to be used only for shopping and not a burgeoning community - a place where people live, work and play - that will soon be home to thousands of new residents. 

• Rob Randall, Greg, GaryRanson and 3 others like this

#1235 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:27 AM

I'd really like to see a headshot of this person and to know who is and where he comes from - why does he see himself as being a strong candidate for the Mayor's chair.  

From his twitter account:

goA7Tcy7.jpg

#1236 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:27 AM

I'd really like to see a headshot of this person and to know who is and where he comes from - why does he see himself as being a strong candidate for the Mayor's chair.  

From his twitter account:

https://twitter.com/garycbeyer

goA7Tcy7.jpg

• Matt R. likes this

#1237 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:54 AM

This is an audio clip from a few weeks back on CFAX.  Gary Beyer on CFAX.

#1238 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:03 PM

Mayor Beyer has a ring to it.

• sebberry and Freedom57 like this

#1239 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 04:42 PM

Frankly, terms like "back to Victoria's roots" scare me. They make me think of older friends and acquaintances who live in Broadmead, Brentwood Bay and the Uplands who think of the core as a series of strip malls and quaint shops to be used only for shopping and not a burgeoning community - a place where people live, work and play - that will soon be home to thousands of new residents. 

Perhaps he has a plan to Make Victoria Great Again.

Edited by Greg, 31 January 2018 - 04:42 PM.

#1240 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 04:44 PM

The guy hasn't even announced that he is running for anything yet and we are picking apart his website!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users