2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#1861 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:40 PM

I wish they would identify who is behind New Council. Keeping the electorate in the dark can backfire when hype doesn’t match the candidates and/the platform.

Perhaps, but this also keeps the focus on the platform and messaging, and not on identity politics.  The people who execute the vision are secondary to the vision.

So in the case of either an unknown, unproven candidate or a known, proven candidate that has some baggage those qualities will be subsumed by the bigger picture.

I'm not saying that's going to be a successful strategy (or that that's their strategy at all), but I could certainly see that as the approach.

Edited by DustMagnet, 25 June 2018 - 01:40 PM.

#1862 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:44 PM

...I'm not saying that's going to be a successful strategy (or that that's their strategy at all), but I could certainly see that as the approach.

I bet it won't be a successful strategy. I suspect at least half of the current CoV council got elected on name recognition and not on their voting record or policies.

#1863 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:53 PM

I bet it won't be a successful strategy. I suspect at least half of the current CoV council got elected on name recognition and not on their voting record or policies.

On that subject, is there an easy way to check how each of them has voted on various issues?

#1864 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:54 PM

..is there an easy way to check how each of them has voted on various issues?

Great question. Does anyone know the answer?

#1865 J_Loveday

J_Loveday
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:14 PM

Not yet. Council passed a motion to create a searchable voting dashboard and attendance record tracker.  I'm hopeful that it will be online prior to the election.

Great question. Does anyone know the answer?

• Nparker, Greg, gstc84 and 3 others like this

#1866 J_Loveday

J_Loveday
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:17 PM

Kudos to Councillor Lucas for bringing the motion forward to create the voting database. 

• sebberry, John M., nerka and 1 other like this

#1867 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:20 PM

Thank you for your follow-up Jeremy.

#1868 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:35 PM

Not yet. Council passed a motion to create a searchable voting dashboard and attendance record tracker.  I'm hopeful that it will be online prior to the election.

Jeremy, is the voting & attendance dashboard going to be retrospective at all, or just from now going forward?

Also, will there be any attempt to outline the reasons (even if only briefly) behind the votes?  I've noticed that there can be quite different reasons why various Councillors vote the way they do on a particular issue, for instance. On paper it might look like they're 'like-minded', but in fact when you hear the full reasoning why they can or cannot support a motion, they can be quite far apart. 

• Nparker and J_Loveday like this

#1869 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:26 PM

Jeremy, is the voting & attendance dashboard going to be retrospective at all, or just from now going forward?

I'm pretty sure it won't be retroactive.

Also, will there be any attempt to outline the reasons (even if only briefly) behind the votes?  I've noticed that there can be quite different reasons why various Councillors vote the way they do on a particular issue, for instance. On paper it might look like they're 'like-minded', but in fact when you hear the full reasoning why they can or cannot support a motion, they can be quite far apart.  

I don't think it's possible to have the reasoning summarized accurately and succinctly as the reasons are sometimes complex and the summarizer runs the risk of editorializing or oversimplification.

But there will be votes that surprise you. For instance, Madoff votes yes for a skyscraper--only because the zoning and density were already enshrined. Often you're sure a councilor will vote a certain way but they vote the opposite way because of some legal hitch or technicality they uncovered.

• AndrewReeve and Kungsberg like this

#1870 J_Loveday

J_Loveday
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:41 PM

I'm pretty sure it won't be retroactive.

It will only be immediately impactful if it is retroactive. In the spirit of transparency and open, responsible government, I'd support spending a bit of staff time to make it retroactive. 

I don't think it's possible to have the reasoning summarized accurately and succinctly as the reasons are sometimes complex and the summarizer runs the risk of editorializing or oversimplification.

But there will be votes that surprise you. For instance, Madoff votes yes for a skyscraper--only because the zoning and density were already enshrined. Often you're sure a councilor will vote a certain way but they vote the opposite way because of some legal hitch or technicality they uncovered.

I agree that just a vote tally doesn't tell the whole story and that the full story behind each vote might be surprising. That being said, it is still a step in the right direction.

Reasoning will not be given. Residents will have to watch the videos from the Council debates or inquire to specific councillors for the reasoning behind their votes. 

• rmpeers and Kungsberg like this

#1871 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,554 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:44 PM

This just in...

Councillor Isitt may be behind New Council. We'll try to get more info, but it sounds like the councillor is trying to push a slate.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1872 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:57 PM

...Councillor Isitt may be behind New Council...

home-alone.jpg

• Mike K., RFS and J_Loveday like this

#1873 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:16 PM

This just in...

Councillor Isitt may be behind New Council. We'll try to get more info, but it sounds like the councillor is trying to push a slate.

We were hoodwinked!

#1874 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:20 PM

This just in...

The content of their website seems at odds with Dear Comrade’s political ideals. I don’t think he gives a toss about core services or fiscal responsibility. The answer is always more government paid for by the rich land and business owning classes.
  • GaryRanson and John M. like this

#1875 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:22 PM

This is like that moment in the star wars prequels when Senator Palpatine reveals himself as Darth Sideous
  • mbjj, Jackerbie and rmpeers like this

#1876 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,554 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:37 PM

Ok, hold up. That might not actually be the case. I was just contacted by another individual who says that’s not the case, and this individual is definitely in the know.

See, this is why New Council needs to come forward with their slate. The rumour mill is going nuts.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1877 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 05:53 AM

Silliest rumour ever.
  • Bob Fugger likes this

#1878 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:43 AM

Rumour creates buzz though.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1879 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 07:53 AM

Ok, hold up. That might not actually be the case. I was just contacted by another individual who says that’s not the case, and this individual is definitely in the know.

See, this is why New Council needs to come forward with their slate. The rumour mill is going nuts.

Didn't the newcouncil group have their members listed on their website at one point? 

Edit: Looked it up and newcouncil was founded by Stephen Hammond. Nothing to do with Isitt.

Edited by spanky123, 26 June 2018 - 07:58 AM.

• John M. and pennymurphy2000 like this

#1880 AndrewReeve

AndrewReeve
  • 91 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:23 AM

This just in...

Definitely not. Pretty sure that the slate Isitt is working on organizing is called Together Victoria

Ross Crockford wrote about them in Focus the other month:

"Together Victoria (formerly “Organize Victoria”) formed because progressive candidates didn’t run an identifiable slate in 2014, “preventing the opportunity for strong progressive turnout to be translated into a strong majority at the council table.” Its objectives, developed in five workshops with more than 100 participants, are to “create a city that is affordable and inclusive”, “prioritize infrastructure that impacts social and environmental justice”, and “foster greater democratic engagement” — although it also says its members may be suspended if they are “not able to acknowledge and address their own oppressive behaviour.” (Focus contacted Together Victoria’s principals, but they declined to be interviewed until they officially launch in mid-May.)

Together Victoria apparently aims to field three new candidates, apparently in the hope of knocking off business-oriented incumbents Geoff Young, Margaret Lucas, and Chris Coleman, who got the last three council spots in 2014. Rumoured nominees include Laurel Collins, a PhD candidate in sociology and leadership studies at UVic, Sharmarke Dubow, a refugee worker for the Inter-Cultural Association of Greater Victoria, and Sarah Potts, an organizer for the federal Greens."

Andrew J. Reeve
andrewjreeve.ca | @andrewjreeve 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users