2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#1821 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:39 AM

Did Vic council keep this year low somehow to help their re-election chances?

• rjag likes this

#1822 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:07 AM

Did Vic council keep this year low somehow to help their re-election chances?

Not according to this letter in the TC

My increase was more than 15 per cent...If the average increase was four per cent and so many of us had increases in the double digits, who benefited by receiving offsetting tax decreases? I might not know who I’m voting for in the upcoming civic election, but I definitely know who I’m not voting for...

http://www.timescolo...ease-1.23326007

#1823 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:23 AM

He/she doesn't say how much the condo value assessment increase was; but it must have been significantly more than the average to get a 15% property tax increase. Condos appreciated a lot more than houses last year in greater Vancouver. Did that happen here as well? If so, its the SFH that are getting a low increase and the condos mostly getting high ones. 

Edited by lanforod, 06 June 2018 - 08:23 AM.

#1824 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:52 AM

He/she doesn't say how much the condo value assessment increase was; but it must have been significantly more than the average to get a 15% property tax increase. Condos appreciated a lot more than houses last year in greater Vancouver. Did that happen here as well? If so, its the SFH that are getting a low increase and the condos mostly getting high ones. 

Even then there wouldnt be much change in the increase if the whole building appreciated in lockstep.

the folks that are getting stung by the bigger increases is because their individual unit is being assessed at a value greater than their neighbours. 

#1825 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:54 AM

I suggest you read Robert Bish, an authority on local government governance: http://www.ubcm.ca/a...ia/LGBC-All.pdf

An excerpt: 

The mayor is expected to exercise leadership but, except for some appointment and agenda-setting authority, he or she is for policymaking purposes just another member of council. This is often referred to as a “weak mayor” system, in contrast to a “strong” or executive mayor system, which is common in large municipalities in the United States. With a strong mayor system, the mayor proposes the budget, drafts bylaws, and hires and fires department heads. Council is the body that approves legislation but has no administrative role. Weak mayor systems are common in Canada and in those U.S. municipalities that use the city manager system. It would be unusual in the United States to use a weak mayor system for a city as large and diverse as Vancouver. In such large, heterogeneous cities in the United States, the mayor’s office is often expected to be a major focus for policy setting. This is not the role of a mayor in a weak mayor system.

Actually, Robert Bish seems to have very little credibility on that topic, lol.  I believe he's the favourite of all the councillors who prefer not to consider amalgamation because he's willing to write an (deeply troubling, from a research pov) apology for this stance, on request.  His papers on the topic of our local "arrangement" lost all their relevance (finally) in the last two years with the release of the CISGI report on local governance.

• rjag and tedward like this

#1826 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:40 AM

Actually, Robert Bish seems to have very little credibility on that topic, lol.  I believe he's the favourite of all the councillors who prefer not to consider amalgamation because he's willing to write an (deeply troubling, from a research pov) apology for this stance, on request.  His papers on the topic of our local "arrangement" lost all their relevance (finally) in the last two years with the release of the CISGI report on local governance.

Besides, we don't employ a weak mayor system like some podunk town in Hazzard County.  It's a council-manager system of local government, in which the mayor happens to be a symbolic figurehead - like chairman of the board of directors of a corporation, with the City Manager as the CEO and his direct reports as VPs.  Sure, she is just one vote of several, but she sets the tone of the administration.

• sdwright.vic, Love the rock and Midnightly like this

#1827 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:45 AM

...Sure, she is just one vote of several, but she sets the tone of the administration.

I think this is a key point.

• Bob Fugger, Love the rock, mbjj and 2 others like this

#1828 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:35 AM

For sure she does, and that’s why we’ve enjoyed a rush of development. But her other goals/directives created a massive schism in the community and it will take a lot of work to make good.

This election will be one of the most entertaining of the last 50 years.
  • sdwright.vic and Awaiting Juno like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1829 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:40 PM

And don't forget that the Mayor runs meetings, which is also a considerable power. That is one thing Lisa Helps does exceedingly well.

• Bob Fugger and Love the rock like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1830 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:47 PM

My property assessment was up by about 6.5% but my taxes are down for 2018 by about 4.7%. This will have no bearing on how I cast my vote in October.

• Love the rock likes this

#1831 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:24 PM

Agreed, it is funny though on the Local Governance 2.0 FB pages where his fans refer to him by his title...I asked some time back if Bish had ever supported any form of amalgamation at any point in his teaching career....silence. .... For me he loses all credibility and shows his utter bias as a result as there is no way that he cant have looked at least 1 amalgamation and said 'yup thats a good candidate'

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#1832 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:46 PM

So there is crime in Langford then.

Nobody said that there wasn't. The difference is Langford arrests and prosecutes the criminals they don't enable them.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1833 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:00 PM

...Langford arrests and prosecutes the criminals they don't enable them.

Funny, I thought that criminal prosecution was more of a Provincial matter.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#1834 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:04 PM

Funny, I thought that criminal prosecution was more of a Provincial matter.

Better phrasing would be Langford doesn't neuter their police force
  • sdwright.vic, Love the rock and Awaiting Juno like this

#1835 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:24 PM

That's harder to do when it's the RCMP.

• sdwright.vic, Awaiting Juno and punk cannonballer like this

#1836 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:31 AM

Curious... what does neuter mean, in this case?

#1837 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:19 AM

Curious... what does neuter mean, in this case?

I know a guy in VicPD. Has kids.

The neutering must have happened later.

#1838 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:34 PM

Congratulations Dr. Isitt!  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:   https://twitter.com/...337864886468608

• rjag likes this

#1839 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:36 PM

Oh fxxx!

• rjag and todd like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1840 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:55 PM

Oh jesus wept, his head is going to be so swollen they'll have to widen the doors....

• Nparker and sebberry like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users