BUILT
The Wade
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1105 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 2BR + den, junior 1BR, junior 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Wade is a two-building, 102-unit mixed-use condominium and ground floor commercial development spanning th... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Wade on Citified.ca
Photo

The Wade | Condos; commercial | 5 and 4-storeys | Completed - built in 2021

• Please log in to reply
2514 replies to this topic

#2261 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 11:02 AM

Anyone have an idea as to the type of equipment going into the gym?

Last I heard, which was a couple weeks ago, was no equipment was sourced yet and one possibility might be to let residents have a say on which equipment to get, and could be a topic of discussion at first strata mtg on the 21st. There might be a more fresh update out there though.
  • Mike K. and Moxuz like this

#2262 Wadeowner

Wadeowner
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 06:07 PM

Does anyone know whether changing the individual unit door locks is allowed? It is probably an issue for strata debate.

Edited by Wadeowner, 14 June 2021 - 06:07 PM.

#2263 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 06:09 PM

Does anyone know whether changing the individual unit door locks is allowed? It is probably an issue for strata debate.

i think this is completely legal.

you are not required to ever give access to your unit except on an emergency basis or scheduled event (fire system check etc.)    so there is no requirement for anyone else to have keys.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 June 2021 - 06:12 PM.

#2264 Wadeowner

Wadeowner
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 06:13 PM

I think it should be allowed but if I say put one of those keyless or electronic locks then I don't know if it will somehow run me afoul of some vague building rule about affecting the aesthetics or uniformity of the building.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#2265 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 06:17 PM

I think it should be allowed but if I say put one of those keyless or electronic locks then I don't know if it will somehow run me afoul of some vague building rule about affecting the aesthetics or uniformity of the building.

i think technically you might be right.  but nobody is going to fight that battle as long as it looks proper/professional.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 June 2021 - 06:18 PM.

#2266 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 06:58 PM

The building manager does not even have a copy of the door keys (there’s no master, either).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2267 Moxuz

Moxuz
  • 230 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 11:42 AM

Someone’s already got a keypad lock 🤷‍♂️

#2268 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 June 2021 - 01:49 PM

I'd say go for it.  If the strata is that picky then move because it simply screams problems down the road.

IIRC, the place comes with Lutron Caseta light switches?  If you get one of the smart locks that's HomeKit compatible (or Google Home if you're a masochist) you can automate your lights to come on when you open the door.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2269 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 02:05 PM

I have a staff of 4 that turns on my lights and runs me a hot bath when I arrive home.
  • Mike K., Matt R. and Moxuz like this

#2270 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 02:13 PM

^ One of them forgot to lay out your pills. :)
  • Mike K., Nparker, sebberry and 3 others like this

#2271 Moxuz

Moxuz
  • 230 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 02:16 PM

I'd say go for it. If the strata is that picky then move because it simply screams problems down the road.

IIRC, the place comes with Lutron Caseta light switches? If you get one of the smart locks that's HomeKit compatible (or Google Home if you're a masochist) you can automate your lights to come on when you open the door.

Should be able to add a smart lock and keep the original outside casing so it looks normal too afaik

#2272 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 03:26 PM

i think this is completely legal.

you are not required to ever give access to your unit except on an emergency basis or scheduled event (fire system check etc.)    so there is no requirement for anyone else to have keys.

When I was on strata there were several occasions when we had to use the master key to get into a suite. In most cases it was to stop a water leak.

But there was one time we got a call from a woman's parents who were worried about their daughter's well-being. She had a special lock that the master key wouldn't open. So the fire department had to get a ladder truck and look in through the balcony.

#2273 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 04:15 PM

You had a master key? I don’t think that’s a standard practice any longer.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2274 tiger11

tiger11
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 04:26 PM

In  my building the management requires s key for each lock. I think you have 24 hours to provide a new key if you change the locks for your unit. It has to do with emergency situations and Ive never had an issue with it yet...

#2275 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 June 2021 - 06:09 PM

In  my building the management requires s key for each lock. I think you have 24 hours to provide a new key if you change the locks for your unit. It has to do with emergency situations and Ive never had an issue with it yet...

You're in a strata and own your place? You are under no obligation to provide them a key.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#2276 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 06:12 PM

That's fine, don't supply a key. But if I want in and there's no key I'm going to bust in the door and give you a $2,000 bill to fix it. Tough beans.

#2277 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 06:21 PM

You're in a strata and own your place? You are under no obligation to provide them a key.

Don’t some strata bylaws state otherwise?

#2278 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 June 2021 - 06:28 PM

Don’t some strata bylaws state otherwise?

They can say whatever they want in their bylaws to the extent that it's enforceable, which this one is not.

https://www.choa.bc....ta_Lot_Keys.pdf

• Nparker likes this

#2279 Wadeowner

Wadeowner
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 07:04 PM

Well as Mike said the Wade does not keep master keys so that is one of the reasons I want a keyless lock that I can grant temporary access remotely if there is a need to enter my unit in the event of an emergency should I not be able to be around at short notice.

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this

#2280 ollivier1

ollivier1
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 05:13 AM

The space between the barn-door and bedrooms lets too much light in. Our master has about an inch gap ( like every other suite I'm assuming) that I'd like to block somehow. I was thinking of some kind of weatherstripping on the door side. Anyone come up with a solution that you like yet?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users