BUILT
The Wade
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1105 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 2BR + den, junior 1BR, junior 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Wade is a two-building, 102-unit mixed-use condominium and ground floor commercial development spanning th... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Wade on Citified.ca
Photo

The Wade | Condos; commercial | 5 and 4-storeys | Completed - built in 2021

• Please log in to reply
2514 replies to this topic

#2301 freedom_2008

freedom_2008
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 02:08 PM

yes. 

all decisions close to home should be made regardless of any evidence.

Resident parking is a limited common property, and shouldn’t be treated as ones private parking space like in a SFH, thus shouldn’t be rented out to a non-resident.  What evidence do we need to regulate that?  

If we don’t take care it, what could be the next, rent out your storage locker to non-residents on monthly or daily basis? 

Edited by freedom_2008, 21 June 2021 - 02:12 PM.

#2302 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,798 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 02:10 PM

Resident parking is a limited common property, and shouldn’t be treated as ones private parking space like in a SFH, thus shouldn’t be rented out to a non-resident.  What evidence do we need for regulating that?

evidence that any individual or collective harm comes from it. 

there is none. 

by excluding the larger community you are locking out BIPOC and LGBTQ and first nations and unwed mothers from affordable parking stall rents.   ALL of which have been randomly but also systemically discriminated against in rental parking.  as housed people, why perpetuate that with your colonial rules?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 June 2021 - 02:17 PM.

• Rob Randall and Moxuz like this

#2303 freedom_2008

freedom_2008
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 02:24 PM

evidence that any individual or collective harm comes from it. 

there is none. 

by excluding the larger community you are locking out BIPOC and LGBTQ and first nations and unwed mothers from affordable parking stall rents.   ALL of which have been randomly but also systemically discriminated against in rental parking.  as housed people, why perpetuate that with your colonial rules?

sorry, I am a BIPOC but I don’t get your logic at all. 

Added: I looked through the Strata doc again. Wade does have public parking on the ground level, and commercial parking in P1.  But there is non designated public rental parking space inside the resident garage.  You are welcome to bring the issue of affordable parking to the city, as it is a city wide issue, not Wade specific issue, unless you own a unit and want to rent out your parking space to non-resident.  

Edited by freedom_2008, 21 June 2021 - 02:53 PM.

#2304 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 02:37 PM

Resident parking is a limited common property, and shouldn’t be treated as ones private parking space like in a SFH, thus shouldn’t be rented out to a non-resident. What evidence do we need to regulate that?

If we don’t take care it, what could be the next, rent out your storage locker to non-residents on monthly or daily basis?

It’s paid for by the unit owner upon purchase, and is a private stall within a common area. Regulations may govern how it is used but strata cannot remove a homeowner’s/lawful resident’s use of a stall and assign it to another homeowner at their discretion.

I’m 99% certain the strata will be formed with a third party stall rental restriction in place. But presently the problems are with residents (parking in private stalls and in visitor spots) and not third party users.

Given this, demand for parking by existing residents is quite likely to exceed on-site supply.
  • freedom_2008 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2305 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,653 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 02:37 PM

sorry, I am a BIPOC but I don’t get your logic at all.

I think Victoria Watcher was paraphrasing - sarcastically - from an opinion piece in the Capital Daily.

Edited by Nparker, 21 June 2021 - 02:38 PM.

• freedom_2008 likes this

#2306 freedom_2008

freedom_2008
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 03:46 PM

It’s paid for by the unit owner upon purchase, and is a private stall within a common area. Regulations may govern how it is used but strata cannot remove a homeowner’s/lawful resident’s use of a stall and assign it to another homeowner at their discretion.

I’m 99% certain the strata will be formed with a third party stall rental restriction in place. But presently the problems are with residents (parking in private stalls and in visitor spots) and not third party users.

Given this, demand for parking by existing residents is quite likely to exceed on-site supply.

Thanks for the info.  We have no issue with people renting out their under-utilized parking space to other residents.  But maybe Victoria W. is thinking to let out his/her parking space to non-resident for free, as a help to city's affordable parking issue, instead of renting out to other residents. ;-)

BTW, we were surprised by the number of bikes in the bike room, hopefully we have enough space there for all residents.  We probably should also allow people to lock their bikes in their parking space, like other condos do.    

#2307 freedom_2008

freedom_2008
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 04:06 PM

I think Victoria Watcher was paraphrasing - sarcastically - from an opinion piece in the Capital Daily.

Right.  I guess I could pretend to be a BIPOC.  ;-) 

#2308 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 05:17 AM

For anyone at the AGM yesterday, nice to see you all and nice to see such a diverse community at The Wade! I loved the recurring comments about fostering community and inclusion among neighbors. 

• Mike K., grantpalin, Moxuz and 1 other like this

#2309 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 June 2021 - 07:13 AM

I loved the recurring comments about fostering community and inclusion among neighbors. 

That'll last until the first big dispute or disagreement, then it'll turn into Survivor Island where everyone is forming alliances and fighting for the immunity idol which doesn't really exist.  Good luck :)

• Nparker, Matt R., grantpalin and 2 others like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2310 Moxuz

Moxuz
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 12:58 PM

I unfortunately had to miss it but gave my proxy and look forward to reading the notes. As for the parking, yes one owner parks a couple cars in the visitor stalls at all times.

#2311 Moxuz

Moxuz
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 01:00 PM

BTW, we were surprised by the number of bikes in the bike room, hopefully we have enough space there for all residents. We probably should also allow people to lock their bikes in their parking space, like other condos do.

There’s the 3 at the bottom and then a larger one at the top as well! The recycling bins are going to be moved out of there I think?

#2312 Moxuz

Moxuz
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 01:04 PM

Thanks for posting the article, I skimmed through it and it seems very well argued

#2313 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,433 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 03:47 PM

I unfortunately had to miss it but gave my proxy and look forward to reading the notes. As for the parking, yes one owner parks a couple cars in the visitor stalls at all times.

One owner and a couple of cars?

• Moxuz likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2314 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 04:40 PM

The calm before the storm? Hopefully most things can be reasonably resolved in a small building such as this one. Obviously visitor parking should not be hogged by one owner, especially for his own vehicles. Needs to be delt with quickly and efficiently.

#2315 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,798 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 04:42 PM

^ like James Bond.
  • Moxuz likes this

#2316 Moxuz

Moxuz
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 06:37 PM

One owner and a couple of cars?

Well, he has 3 but rents one spot from someone. LOL
  • Matt R. likes this

#2317 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 06:54 PM

Well, he has 3 but rents one spot from someone. LOL

Their unit came with 2 spots? 

Edited by kitty surprise, 22 June 2021 - 07:01 PM.

• Moxuz likes this

#2318 Moxuz

Moxuz
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 07:33 PM

Their unit came with 2 spots?

their unit came with zero spots, they rent one for one of their cars and the other two are in the visitor parking

#2319 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,985 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 01:05 AM

lol, who has three cars and buys a condo with no parking.

Hey, are these cars a F350, a land yacht Cadillac and a Festiva?

Matt.
  • Mike K., zoomer, Rob Randall and 2 others like this

#2320 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 June 2021 - 08:14 AM

That'll last until the first big dispute or disagreement, then it'll turn into Survivor Island where everyone is forming alliances and fighting for the immunity idol which doesn't really exist.  Good luck :)

The calm before the storm? Hopefully most things can be reasonably resolved in a small building such as this one. Obviously visitor parking should not be hogged by one owner, especially for his own vehicles. Needs to be delt with quickly and efficiently.

Are we already witnessing the start of the breakdown of the community and inclusion among owners?  It's happening earlier than I thought.  The next time you see two residents chatting getting into the elevator together, you'll be wondering what they're scheming.  This is how it starts.  Someone has already been chosen to have coconuts thrown at them as they balance on the post.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users