BUILT
1400 Quadra Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1400-1412 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 14
1400-1412 Quadra Street is a 14-storey purpose-built rental complex on Quadra Street at Johnson Street in down... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1400 Quadra Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 1400 Quadra Street | Rentals, retail | 14-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
584 replies to this topic

#501 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 March 2021 - 10:05 PM

...Manhattanization is a neologism coined to describe the construction of many tall or densely situated buildings, which transforms the appearance and characterof a city to what is similar to Manhattan, the most densely populated borough of New York City. It was a pejorative word used by critics of the highrise buildingsbuilt in San Francisco during the 1960s and 1970s, who claimed the skyscrapers would block views of the bay and the surrounding hills... https://en.wikipedia...anhattanization

For the record, I was being sarcastic, but there are locals who actually believe a few square blocks of some rather diminutive highrises will magically transform Victoria into New York's most densely populated borough.

Manhattan is passé. Do you not remember the DRA fear that the Montrose Winter garden Hotel building will bring Hong Kong levels of density to our quaint downtown?

#502 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 06:41 AM

Hongkonganization sounds racist.

#503 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 09:35 AM

That was the original urban development hang-up. Victoria was at risk of turning into another New York City. Even as late as the 1970s there were still some scary New York references flying around. It's funny, many 21st-century Victorians are so keen to emulate the worst failures of the very biggest cities re: street issues, crime, and homelessness, but they still want to reject anything "big city" that might be a potential positive:

Daily Colonist
October 29, 1976

Laurel Point modifications OKed

...the building would destroy the beautiful waterfront view.

"We don't want to see another New York City, a city of tall buildings, we want to retain the beauty of our city"...

Daily Colonist
July 1, 1908

New York is to build a skyscraper 909 feet in height. It will probably be a considerable time before Victoria embarks upon a similar enterprise, and we are disposed to be pleased that such is the case. A skyscraper is an unsightly thing and a blot on the landscape.

Edited by aastra, 05 March 2021 - 09:47 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#504 dkuitu

dkuitu
  • 397 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 March 2021 - 03:45 PM

C484A2CD-8700-485E-B518-F978204644AC.jpeg

View in 10ish years?

*if all buildings in the future are windowless white concrete bricks

Edited by dkuitu, 06 March 2021 - 03:48 PM.

• zoomer, Nparker and Promontory Kingpin like this

#505 Promontory Kingpin

Promontory Kingpin
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 04:36 PM

Did they take the crane down?

#506 dkuitu

dkuitu
  • 397 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 March 2021 - 04:42 PM

Did they take the crane down?

No I took the crane down with my photo editor.

#507 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 March 2021 - 04:13 PM

20210310_111249_resized.jpg

20210310_111307_resized.jpg

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#508 dkuitu

dkuitu
  • 397 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 March 2021 - 02:12 PM

DE7D9946-F8B5-4C59-8E29-CC52AD1978EE.jpeg
  • Nparker likes this

#509 E2V

E2V
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 March 2021 - 03:25 PM

Will the folks next door be throwing a welcome to the neighbourhood party?

#510 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 17 March 2021 - 03:35 PM

Will the folks next door be throwing a welcome to the neighbourhood party?

I am sure they'll be throwing something, likely rocks, knives or arrows.

#511 dkuitu

dkuitu
  • 397 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 March 2021 - 07:29 PM

Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 8.19.12 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 8.19.25 PM.png

Next door neighbours have some new landscaping.

#512 dkuitu

dkuitu
  • 397 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 March 2021 - 07:30 PM

Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 8.19.37 PM.png

#513 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 07:33 PM

...Next door neighbours have some new landscaping.

Courtesy of the BC taxpayers.

Why does the expression "lipstick on a pig" come to mind when I see the above?

Edited by Nparker, 18 March 2021 - 07:34 PM.

#514 dkuitu

dkuitu
  • 397 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 March 2021 - 09:28 AM

Courtesy of the BC taxpayers.

Why does the expression "lipstick on a pig" come to mind when I see the above?

I think this is a perfect use of taxpayer money. The drive-through drop-off zone wasn't being used for its original intended purpose. The building is not a senior home anymore, and the street's dynamic is entirely different from when the building was designed and built. 

The project's cost is a drop in the barrel compared to the same beautification going on at the parliament building, and to say something like "lipstick on a pig" implies that certain parts of the city deserve beautification more than others. That kind of thinking is how ghettos form.

The main problem with the way it used to be was that the inside of that pony wall felt like "their" territory and the sidewalk felt like the public space. Residents of the building and their friends would often linger in that area, and it felt awkward to walk by as they towered over you because the driveway grade was slightly higher than the sidewalk. I don't know if the upgrade will prevent people from lingering, but at least now, walking on the sidewalk won't feel as intimidating. Also, putting more greenery in a city is never a waste of money This may seem a little woo woo to some, but in my head, it's just a fact, the presence of plants makes people calmer.

• Mike K. and newbie_01 like this

#515 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 09:30 AM

I'm big on green spaces and gardening myself. Interestingly enough, from the time Victoria began to lose its moniker as the Garden City the social situation began to decline.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#516 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 09:51 AM

I think this is a perfect use of taxpayer money...

Heaven forbid that the "beautification" money spent here actually goes to help the residents of the facility get their health care and recovery needs met. I bet this garden space looks like crap within a year.

#517 dkuitu

dkuitu
  • 397 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 March 2021 - 10:11 AM

Heaven forbid that the "beautification" money spent here actually goes to help the residents of the facility get their health care and recovery needs met. I bet this garden space looks like crap within a year.

Like all gardens, it will need maintenance. I don't doubt that this little patch will get its fair share of syringes and trash, and that's an unfortunate reality. When I think of litter, the first place that comes to mind isn't the Portland house; it's the Tim Horton's drive-through on the way out of the city going on the Malahat. It may not be syringes, but this shows that even humans who can afford vehicles and suburban lifestyles choose to disrespect their natural habitat. 

As for taxpayer money fixing the deep-rooted issues of addiction, it won't. The reason why drug epidemics come and go throughout the decades remains very difficult to articulate mystery, and no amount of money has ever been able to stop these waves of drug epidemics from happening. However, urban planners can tweak minor aspects of the street to make the pedestrian experience slightly better, and in this case, I think the city did an excellent job.

Edited by dkuitu, 19 March 2021 - 10:13 AM.

#518 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 10:15 AM

...However, urban planners can tweak minor aspects of the street to make the pedestrian experience slightly better, and in this case, I think the city did an excellent job.

I am afraid we'll just have to agree to disagree about the wisdom of spending tax dollars for this project.

#519 dkuitu

dkuitu
  • 397 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 March 2021 - 10:41 AM

I am afraid we'll just have to agree to disagree about the wisdom of spending tax dollars for this project.

I am not trying to create conflict here, just curious. Is it something about the upgrade design you don't like, or is it that the city spent the money on street upgrades in this particular location?

If it's the location you think is not suitable, where do you feel the most urgent sidewalk needs upgrades? If it's the design, what about it would you have done differently?

#520 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 11:58 AM

People who spent upwards of half a million dollars on condo deserve a nice looking street. Their property taxes will be totalling a quarter million dollars annually.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users